Week of Sep 18 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we're a group of people who are planning to participate in the 2006 and/or 2007 Disney Half or Full marathons. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us!

Here's the Marathon FAQ, a great place to answer your marathon questions:
Disney Marathon FAQ
And some websites for further running/walking info:
http://www.runnersworld.com
http://www.coolrunning.com
http://www.halhigdon.com
http://www.running4women.com/
http://www.runnergirl.com/index.shtml
http://www.katherineswitzer.com/fitness.html
The John Bingham site:
http://www.waddleon.com/
Jeff Galloway's site:
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/

Pacing Calculator

Not much to report here today. I think I'm going to count two hours of dancing around at a Journey concert last night as cross-training. :teeth: Could y'all talk a little louder today...I still can't quite hear right ;)

Krista...wtg on your 5K :banana: :banana: Fabulous pace! :Pinkbounc

Lynne...mudbiking sounds like fun! I envy your stamina...how many races do you have planned between now and Disney?

Heather...wtg on your 4-miler! :banana: I'll be right on your heels...my time was 59:09. My goal is to W3/R2 for the half. That starts in my training program in a couple weeks.

Lily...the member cruise sounds fun! What great stuff...my family wants to go on the next one! Sorry it got cut diverted by the weather.

Colleen...great pace!! :banana:

MelR...you're amazing...have you always been an athlete?

Craig...great to hear from you!

Sunny...carbo-loading must be contagious. I've been eating everything that's not tied down this week. Love the story about Grammie!

chersheyb...I think most people recommend staying on the monorail line since that's the best way to get transportation during the race.

Carrie...sounds like a busy schedule! How did it go?

Helen...looking forward to your shiny attire. If you can't wear it for the race, how 'bout for dinner at TE?

Cam...how was your 5K?

Burning question...what corral did you register for? I'll be hanging out in the 3:00 group for the half.

I'll be making ressies for TE in a couple weeks, so get your counts in now!

I've had a GREAT running weekend! :cool1:

I did a "mini" goofy!

Yesterday I drove up to the Applefest course and took a stab at it. Its a figurine with one large loop and one small. I was pressed for time so I only did the large loop (9.2 miles) with an average pace of 9:29.

I did my LR this morning but opted to not make it too long since I had to go home and pick of DD for her wog right afterwards. So the LR was 15 miles at an average pace of 9:29. I don't know what's up with this pace but I'll take it :banana: DD and I did a 3.5 mile wog with an avg pace of 14:07. All together I put in 27.7 miles in under 24 hours!

I did a comparison of my bikepath altitude profile with the Applefest loop and decided the Applefest hills aren't that bad. (I didn't hit one really bad short hill that's onthe small loop). I'll post my splits and altitude profiles:

Sept 17
Applefest major loop 9.2 miles
1 9:31
2 9:40
3 9:38
4 8:59
5 9:11
6 9:47
7 9:58
8 9:17
9 9:18
.2 8:38

overall avg pace: 9:29

Sept 18 BP
1 9:27
2 9:11
3 9:30
4 9:10
5 9:15
6 9:14
7 9:01
8 10:29 (water stop)
9 9:03
10 9:10
11 9:17
12 9:53
13 9:07
14 10:06
15 10:25

overall pace: 9:29

Applefest large loop Altitude Profile
applefestlargeloop.jpg

BP Altitude Profile
bpaltitude.jpg

Note the MAJOR incline around mile 7-8.5 on the Applefest. In the real race that is mile 9. UGH!

I don't think that is an accurate profile for the bikepath, my Garmin got weak signals several times. I might update that pic with a more accurate one.

I've been training for the Marine Corps marathon October 30, and then the Goofy challenge in January. So far I've just been working on the MCM training (I did a 20 miler yesterday). Come November I have to start thinking of my training schedule for Disney. Although I've done a marathon before I've never done the back-to-back races. What training schedule are you using? How do you alter the training to prep for both races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily 03
We are staying in BWV and I am thinking my family may be there as I am leaving MGM going toward EPCOT. That would leave them enough time to get to the finish line out front of EPCOT maybe...not sure there.

Hi Lily,

Would your family be taking buses or driving to the finish line out in front of EPCOT? I am wondering if my family could see me on the Broadwalk and then get over to the finish line in time.

Colleen

princessmomma said:
Quote:Would your family be taking buses or driving to the finish line out in front of EPCOT? I am wondering if my family could see me on the Broadwalk and then get over to the finish line in time.
Colleen - Just a note to you and who ever else was asking about this. My DH met me in MGM (2004 Matathon) and then had to BOOK over to the Matathon finish. :Pinkbounc He almost did not make it. Just warn your scream team of this. Also, I live in Charlotte, NC. Where do you live? Maybe we could meet and do some training runs together if you want.

Everyone - If you have never run the WDW 1/2 or full, just let your scream team know this is a VERY HARD race to support. My DH knows all the back ways through WDW and still had a hard time meeting me in 2004. We carried a phone to keep him updated. :confused3

Colleen & Melissa - My LR/marathon pace is around 10 - 10:30 right now. I would love to run some of the marathon with you 2. However, I am doing Goofy so I may be REAL SLOW! :hourglass

Training going well. We have had to alter our schedule somewhat b/c we are running the Charlotte Marathon in December! :earseek: But we start double LR this week! :earseek: :earseek: Bree is reading but not posting so she is still around. She went back to work full time.:guilty: Work does always get in the way!
Christa

gatorphipps said:
Colleen & Melissa - My LR/marathon pace is around 10 - 10:30 right now. I would love to run some of the marathon with you 2. However, I am doing Goofy so I may be REAL SLOW! :hourglass

Christa

Hey Christa, it would be great to have you join us!! This is my first marathon, so I want to start running about the same pace you will be running! I ran the first 10K in my 1/2 marathon way too fast, about 57 min and I really felt it in that last half. I really don't want to make that mistake again. I live in Hickory, about 45 minutes NW of Charlotte. Maybe I could make the drive in for one of my longer runs.

I hope Bree is doing well.

Colleen

I can't believe so many of you are doing multiple marathons. I guess I really am hanging with the BIG :dog:

Pluto-you are a great inspiration! I cant believe how much you have done this weekend, you rock!

Well I have now had my 1st official "stonker" And it taught me a very important lesson. You should never do your LR (or LW in my case) with nothing in your stomach but a diet coke & sinus pill. I did 4 miles & the last 2 were awful. I was lightheaded & tingly & thought I was going to pass out. So of course I had to slow down which was very disappointing. But at least I finished. My pace was 16 min/mile. I guess it could have been worse considering how bad I felt.

Oh-guess what. My wonderful mother (who is doing the 1/2 with me & paying for us all to stay at WL) had now ordered me a Garmin! She called me yesterday & said it was a neat training toy, that I should have one & that she was going to order me one. Mom rocks too! I can't wait to get it.

Keep up the good work everyone. I'm going to be a couch potato for the rest of the night. In addition to my 4 miles I mowed the whole yard with a push mower (approx 1/2 acre) and I hurt & I'm tired.

Christa and Colleen - I was actually contemplating my ability to do a 10:30 pace after doing the 1/2 the day before. I think I'm like Christa, I might be REAL SLOW!!! I was planning on doing the 1/2 pretty slow so I would not be wasted for my very first marathon ever. Who knows... I just want to finish the whole in under 5 hours. I cannot stand to run alone, so I might be motivated to keep up with you guys just for the company and i'll plan to crash for the rest of the day. Maybe craig can hang with us, he is doing goofy too!

I was a mountain biking queen this weekend. I HATE IT. I am so bruised and beaten. It is because I am a huge chicken and I clip out on one side whenever the trails get technical. Then, I always touch down and ram the clipped out pedal into the back of my leg. OUCH. I did about 15 miles of single track mt. bike sat. and ran 3 miles tonight. I was really slow!!! I am probably going to do a little mt. biking on tues and and a 6 mile trail run and that is all since i have the 100 mile torture fest, oops, I mean adventure race this weekend. I am on a 4 man team and this time I am not the only girl. The team is a couple, with whom we are good friends and my husband and I. If we take any pics during the race, I'll post them! The race has a 36 hour cut off, but I hope we make it in around 24. that may be wishful thinking. Did I mention I'm going to die????

Sunny - the garmin info is really cool!!! I just have the 101 so mine does not do the elevation profile. It would really be interesting to see it though, because we have some big long hills (nothing like Monte). I think I am going to make my EC use her garmin to do the elevation profile because she has the cool one that will link to to computer. She is doing the adventure race with us this weekend. She vows not to yell at me but to sing happy, encouraging songs to keep me moving. I'm not sure which is worse. I'll have to tell you about EC's rendition of encouraging songs on our 21mile summer trail run sometime!!! The only reason the songs kept me moving is because I wanted to catch up with her to put my hand over her mouth!! Sometimes the EC might be worse than the IC. I guess it all depends on your taste in music :teeth:

Hi Everyone,

Well I *think* I am back in action after almost a month!!! My calf seems to be healing somewhat. Still a little sore but nowhere near what it was. I had already registered for a 5K on Saturday so I went ahead and ran it. My time was 30:45 which is only abt 10 seconds slower than my normal 5K times so I was happy. Honeslty I was happy to be able to run at all!!!

Today starts the Hal Higdon 16 week plan. No more treadmill for me either--I'm taking it on the road! Its still super hot but I'll just deal with it.

Great job everybody on your 5K PRs!!!!

Good morning! :sunny: How is everyone today? Well, I got my first running injury and it's a really stupid one. I was running my 5 miles yesterday at a running park, well when I run I kind of space out and let my mind wonder. I wasn't paying attention and my foot slipped off path, my ankle turned and I wiped out BIG TIME, completely busted up my left knee. I was so mad at myself!! :mad: I don't think I did any permanent damage to my knee, but I think I'll be out of commission for a couple of days since I can't bend my knee and 14 hours later my knee is still bleeding. So I've learned my lesson--run in the MIDDLE of the path!! :rotfl2: But that's okay because my Steelers rocked yesterday afternoon!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Susan and Mel-- :cheer2: :cheer2: Go Panther and Bucs!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

MelR--You are going to ride your bike for 24 hours?? :earseek: Do you sleep any time during the ride? More power to you!!! :wizard:

Kaf--Glad that your leg is feeling better! Great time on your 5K! I would LOVE to see a 30 minute 5K, only 6 minutes to go! :goodvibes

Tiff--What an awesome Mom you have! How nice of her to get you a Garmin. I love my Garmin :lovestruc I couldn't imagine training without it. Even little puppies need cool toys! :pug: :teeth:

Sunny--You truly amaze me! I think your nuts, but you're definitely a big dog! :dog: When I grow up, I want to be just like you! ;)

I better get to work, talk to y'all later!! Happy training and watch where you're running!! :teeth:

Krista princess:

MelRhoads said:
Christa and Colleen - I was actually contemplating my ability to do a 10:30 pace after doing the 1/2 the day before. I think I'm like Christa, I might be REAL SLOW!!! I was planning on doing the 1/2 pretty slow so I would not be wasted for my very first marathon ever. Who knows... I just want to finish the whole in under 5 hours. I cannot stand to run alone, so I might be motivated to keep up with you guys just for the company and i'll plan to crash for the rest of the day. Maybe craig can hang with us, he is doing goofy too!
:cheer2: I am right there with you Melissa. :cheer2: My plan is to go slow on the half so I won't be so wasted for the full. I am normally not sore after a 13 mile run if I do not blow it out. I just don't want to get up the morning of the full and be so stiff. We will see. I am not trying to PR at all during the Goofy.

Like I have said, we are starting our double long runs this weekend. Not to long though. Six on Thursday and 12 on Friday. However, if you throw the Charlotte hills in on that, it will not be so easy. :earseek:

Krista - I have done that so many times. I once fell at the beginning (mile 3) of a 20 mile run! OUCH! I did finish, but my knees were all bloody and I had to rip my NEW pants off at the knee so it would not rub. They were ripped already pretty bad. :guilty: And it was COLD outside!

Christa

Krista - I am so sorry that you fell!!! I hope your knee and ankle get better soon!

I'm not actually going to ride my bike for 24 hours. The adventure race consists of multiple disciplines. We will canoe, trek, orienteer, rappel (ususally) and mt. bike for 100 miles! The course is given to our 4 person coed team in map coordinates and our navigator (not me) uses a map and compass to find the checkpoints along the course. We have to travel in the means specified to each checkpoint. Did I mention I'm going to die???

Melissa- I can't wait to hear all about it next week (if you survive ;) )! That sounds so cool.

Krista- Sorry to hear about your knee and ankle. Here's some PD for a quick recovery. :wizard:

I had a fun Sunday. I rode 15 miles on my mountain bike (a new PR). Then I went road bike shopping. Of course I fell in love with the most expensive one I tried. :rolleyes: I managed to fall over while test riding one bike and bruised my left leg and knee nicely. Of course, my first thought was "Did I scratch the bike? Is the bike okay?" It was a $2000 bike that I was not ready to take home with me. No scratch on the bike, my knee on the other hand . . .not so lucky. Then last night I took the big plunge and installed clipless pedals on my bike. These allow you to lock your feet onto the bike pedals. My first attempt to unclip and stop was successful. Unfortunately, I put my weight on the side that was not unclipped and I fell like a tree in the woods. Timber! Lucky for me because the concrete of the driveway broke my fall. So there I am laying on my side in a huge puddle of water caused by the neighbor's sprinkler system with my bike on top of me laughing hysterically as my kids are yelling "Mommy are you okay?" My dad said "Maybe we should go get your helmet" which of course I had forgotten to put on. I got up and tried again several times, learning my lesson from the first time. I did not fall again. It was so fun to have my girls running down the sidewalk next to me while I pedaled in the street and then my attempting to stop as they coached me. One of my DDs kept yelling "Take out the foot that you are going to fall on!" It was a great night. :flower:

As for this morning, I have a huge welt and bruise on my um back side. I did 40 minutes on the TM at the gym. Still no problems with the ankle. I look forward to going home tonight and practicing more on my bike. Maybe I'll practice in the grass this time.

Happy Monday everyone!

Krista and Healther :grouphug: So sorry you both fell. I hope you heal real quick.

Kaf-- great to see you back. Sounds like you're right back on track with your pace and training.

MelR-- I have a question for you... Are you going to die????? :earboy2: Your adventures sound so exciting. I can't wait to hear the recap. I didin't realize this is your first marathon. Its mine, too!

Christa-- when in Dec are you doing a marathon? How much recovery time will you have? you ROCK!

Tiffj-- sorry your had a bad learning experience. I think half of the reason we train is to learn all the things that work and don't work, not just the muscle strength buildup. Your Mom sounds great... is she adopting? JK, my Mom is great, too, she just doesn't run! I'm starting to get excited about my daughter's running. I almost bought her an mp3 player like mine last night just for fun. She has my old mini-disk player right now. I'm excited and worried at the same time. Running addiction costs TIMES two!!!!! Yikes! BUt its worth every penny if she gets hooked.

WDW veterans, what is the best strategy to get my Dx and DS to the finish line. They won't be supported me through the race, but I'd like to have them at the finish in a reasonable window to when I should cross. Dx isn't a crowds person and DS is wild so I don't want to direct them there too early. Do they walk from Epcot's parking lot? I'm not exactly sure how its laid out.

Thanks!
Sunny

Hi, everyone! My training has been non-existent and I have been coming here to be inspired by all of you, even though I haven't been posting. It sounds like everyone is moving right along, though I am hoping we are all very quick learners so that our "learning experience" injuries become much fewer and farther between! :teeth: (My biggest injury so far was banging my knee on the coffee table yesterday as I went to the kitchen for dessert! :( )

Did my 5K yesterday with only one "workout" this past week, so I shouldn't be surprised that there wasn't much of an improvement. But, my "performances" seem to be improving each time and I think by the time I start the MFM "walk the 1/2" plan on 10/2, my pace will be low enough that I can really focus on form and endurance. I am going to add some inclined TM work for the next couple of weeks, too.

So, here is my performance record to date:

DATE-----TIME-----PACE

3/5/05-----54:40-----17:36
7/4/05-----50:12-----16:09
7/23/05-----49:47-----16:01
9/3/05-----47:24-----15:15
9/18/05-----46:21-----14:55

HI all! Did my 6 on Sat. Didn't feel great, but averaged about a 10:45 - 10:45 pace, so woo hoo for me!

Mel - WTG on your pace. HOPE YOUR HEARING COMES BACK SOON!

chersheyb - I'm a first-time marathoner too!

krista - Hope you heal soon!

Sorry to everyone I've missed! This is going to be a week from you know where and I've got to get back to it! Happy training all!

I just posted on last week's thread by mistake. Shows what moving will do for you!

Checking in to say that we are finally in our house. Don't have time to catch up now - have to get back to unpacking boxes. Haven't done much of anything else lately but pack boxes, move boxes and unpack boxes. Not even any time to swim in the "noodle soup"! If anyone ever hears me mention moving again, please lock me up somewhere! Ugh! I hate moving! Now that I am back on line, I'll get back as soon as I can to catch up. Hopefully the unpacking will go smoothly and I can get into some kind of regular training routine soon. Right now I'm thinking that training will be a whole lot easier than all this moving!

Heather - I have been riding clipless for several years and I STILL do the low speed fall occasionally. As far as road bike shopping, I got my frame and fork and a few other parts off ebay and then used my local bike shop for the components. They put it together for me. There are a ton of good used road bikes on e-bay!!!! I think I ended up paying about half of the new price for my bike and it is only 2 yrs old. My advice would be to get the best bike you can buy. I rode a bike for about 4 years that was made of cromolly steel and had few gears. I usually pull the boy behind it. I kept telling myself I was content with it, until I actually test rode a nice bike this summer. It was like driving a luxury car (not that I would know - I have a subaru)!!!!

Sunny - This is a year of firsts for me. First 100 mile adventure race (Did I mention....well you know), first century ride (again with the dying concept), and 1st marathon (so intelligently preceeded by a half, no doubt, I'm going to die!) I'm pretty excited about the marathon, but since I said I would "never do a marathon" I have to refer to the event as goofy. I'm not expecting a very good time, but since I've never done one and since I'm doing goofy, I'm guaranteed a new PR! :rolleyes:

Hi all!

Not too much time to post at the moment, but...

Still feeling the effects of this minor cold that I have. I have been sucking on cough drops for the past couple of days and feel quite a bit better. I decided that I would take yesterday off and then run Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week--- so of course I get antsy and did a couple of miles last night. Today I did my 45 minute run (3/2) and it was just one of those runs that felt "off." My Garmin froze up before I got started, so I was stuck just using my stopwatch. Then I never felt like I got a good pace going--felt fairly sluggish. It was overcast and humid--- You get the idea. But hey, I got it done and that's a good thing.

Happy training all!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

I've been training for the Marine Corps marathon October 30, and then the Goofy challenge in January. So far I've just been working on the MCM training (I did a 20 miler yesterday). Come November I have to start thinking of my training schedule for Disney. Although I've done a marathon before I've never done the back-to-back races. What training schedule are you using? How do you alter the training to prep for both races?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter