Week of Sep 18 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Thank you all for the nice welcomes! I knew we wouldn't get anything less from fellow Dis'ers. :sunny: I'm always on the Dis, but I've only lurked on the marathon threads. I guess, as DH said, I'll post now that he "broke the ice". Everyone is doing so well; you can't help but to get inspired here. :Pinkbounc Those of you who are getting bored may want to consider music (if you don't already listen and run). Our IPOD Shuffles have been the greatest running purchase we've made since new shoes and ibuprophen! :rotfl: Those little pills are :wizard: !

Anyway, DH and I went for a 6 mile run last night. Our route actually took us 6.1. We both felt great (it took me a mile and a half, but I felt great after that!).

David - 6.1 miles - 45:40 total time - 7:30 pace
Denise - 6.1 miles - 49:52 total time - 8:11 pace

We're both pleased with this, but I would like to get back down to 8:00 min. pace on these shorter runs. Our training schedule calls for a 12-14 mile run Sat. morning--we're both shooting for 14; I'll post again after that run. We just run 4 tomorrow.

Keep up the great work everyone! :flower:

Hi all! It's been a wild week. I've gotten all my trainig in so far. Today is my hardest day. 45 min after doing 40 plus form running last night kills me.

Then, we go for 8 on Saturday. Yikes! This is where things start scaring me!

solo - FYI, I'm never really excited to run. I just love the feeling after a good run!

Getting started for me is the hardest part. Running has never been my fave, but I'm trying to change that.

Even when I get started, I think about cutting my run short. I keep talking to convince myself to keep going. Sometimes I feel like the cartoon where the devil is on one shoulder telling me to stop and take it easy and the angel is on the other encouraging me to keep going. Happens on almost every run.

I figure once my body gets used to running these distances and I build up more stamina, it would be as bad. Until then, I just try to knock that devil off my shoulder. :teeth:

Terri

Good morning everyone!! :sunny: Happy Friday!!! :banana: I am so looking forward to this weekend, I have nothing going on and I'm so excited. All I have to do this weekend is a 5 mile run tomorrow, church on Sunday, and the Steelers game at 4:15. GO STEELERS!!!!! :cheer2: :cheer2:

Let me tell you about my run (well walk/run) last night. It was miserable. I just never got comfortable--when I was walking, it felt like I was crawling and when I was running it felt like I was being clumsy and my ankles were killing me. I almost stop twice, but I did end up finishing my 40 minutes. So I stopped my Garmin at 40 minutes and looked at my milage (I never look at milage when I run during the week, only minutes) and imagine my surprise when I saw that I did 3.38 miles!!! I went into the history to check my pace, I was doing 11:50 miles!! :cheer2: :cheer2: I was so excited, the run I thought was horrible, really wasn't that bad after all. :rotfl:

Solo--I know what you mean about getting tired of running. Some days I love to get out there and go and other days I hate it and I'm miserable the whole time. But nothing can replace the feeling of accomplishment I have when I'm finished. Finishing a 5K feels great, what's it going to be like to finish a half (or a full) marathon?? :goodvibes On my days when I feel bad I just tell myself "just put one foot in front of the other"--giving myself that little pep talk really seems to help.

Mel--I was watching NFL Blitz last night. All I have to say about "Cadillac" Williams is WOW!!! :earseek: You must be so excited to have him!!

MelR--Good luck on your adventure ride this weekend! Stay safe and :wizard: that you don't die!! Tell us all about it on Monday or Tuesday or whenever you get out of bed! :teeth:

Well, I better start working, it's the joy of my life. :rolleyes: Happy training and stay safe!!

Krista princess:

Great job Krista! I was not having an easy time last night either, but my pace was less than fabulous too. This is teh first time I have done all 3 runs during the week and my XT. XT afgain tonight and then 8 tomorrow.

I wish I had your weekend Krista. I have a humane society fundraiser from 9 to 1. Run home shower and teach a scrapbooking clss at 3. Then come home and run 8. Yikes! I'm supposed to go to a party at 6, but it's 40 minutes away and there's no way you'll get me out of teh house when I come home from the run! Sunday will most definitely be a rest day. Well, rest and laundy day.

Good luck to every one!

Great job Krista

David & Denise-- you are a couple of gazelles! Great paces.

I did hill work last night. A total of 4.6 miles, 3 sets of hills: 3 minutes at 3% (6.5 mph), 3 minutes at 5% (6.0 mph) followed by 5 minutes 0% at 6.0mph, the second two sets I kept the speed at 6.0mph for the 3%. It was hard but I felt strong. I'm doing short long run tomorrow (12 miles) since my Half is next Saturday. Hopefully DD will want to wog, too.

Happy LRs to all :flower:

MelR :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: what more can I say??????

Sunny

:dog2: Welcome DavidandDenise! :dog2:

Just a quickie today! Stonker on Mon, but we've had 3 days now of rain/cloud cover from Rita, so not as hot and nasty! Wed was much better.

We're traveling all weekend. DD12 has a soccer tournament in Clearwater with games tonight, tomorrow and Sunday :scared1: .

Need some advice, please.

I'm on my second wk of wk 5 of MFM W/R the half. The long 'run' for this week is supposed to be 3 miles at W3/R1. Last week, I did a long 'run' of 4 miles at W3/R1, so was planning to do 5 miles this week since wk 6 increases to a 6 mile long 'run' next week. But I have a 5K tomorrow morning. I was thinking about doing the 5 miles today, then going ahead with an easy 5K tomorrow. Or should I not worry about the 5 miles? I'm a little nervous about jumping up to 6 miles next week when I've only done 3.5 a day this week. My last 5-miler was two weeks ago.

I hope that makes sense :teeth:

Jodi said:
Hey Guys

Real Quick, anyone that's flying from Hartford for the marathon that doesn't have tix yet, Southwest has tix for $45 one way up until Jan 9th!!!

Awesome rate, too bad I already bought mine w/ flysong.

BUT HURRY!! The rate's only good until 1p.m. EST

Jodi

Hey, Jodi -- thanks for the heads-up on this yesterday. Even though I am flying from PHL, you inspired me to check the rates, and I was able to change to an internet special rate and get a $40 credit toward my next set of tickets. Thanks! :goodvibes: :hug:

chimera said:
:dog2: Welcome DavidandDenise! :dog2:

Just a quickie today! Stonker on Mon, but we've had 3 days now of rain/cloud cover from Rita, so not as hot and nasty! Wed was much better.

We're traveling all weekend. DD12 has a soccer tournament in Clearwater with games tonight, tomorrow and Sunday :scared1: .

Need some advice, please.

I'm on my second wk of wk 5 of MFM W/R the half. The long 'run' for this week is supposed to be 3 miles at W3/R1. Last week, I did a long 'run' of 4 miles at W3/R1, so was planning to do 5 miles this week since wk 6 increases to a 6 mile long 'run' next week. But I have a 5K tomorrow morning. I was thinking about doing the 5 miles today, then going ahead with an easy 5K tomorrow. Or should I not worry about the 5 miles? I'm a little nervous about jumping up to 6 miles next week when I've only done 3.5 a day this week. My last 5-miler was two weeks ago.

I hope that makes sense :teeth:
Mel - Stick to the plan. It has not failed us yet. If it only says 3 this week, but you've done 4 before, you will be fine. DH and I went through the first 8 weeks of w/r the half without a problem. (OK, we always made the distance. It was not always fun, but we always did it) Then we did the first 8 of r/w the half no problem. So far, it has not failed us. Do an easy 5k and call it good. Did you increase your w/r time or ratio during the week this week. Usually when you do that, you ease up on the long run. Remeber, you do not want to increase more than 10% of your total miles during the week. Also, if you look at the schedle, it tends to bouce back and forth from an all time long run to a relatively short run the next week. HTH!

Hi, everyone! Glad to hear all the training that is happening, even if some the runs, walks, and wogs are "stonkers"! :teeth:

Not much time to do much this week, but I was able to do a mile on the crosstrainer last night in less than 13 minutes! I know it is not the same as running, but I've never had the stamina for that pace before.

Crazy busy weekend ahead starting with a 5:30 am jaunt to school tomorrow to help set up and run a pancake breakfast and ending with an 8:30 pm Broadway show Sunday night to benefit Katrina victims (still cannot believe we are driving to NY for a Sunday night show -- I'll be a zombie at work Monday). But so excited about all of it! Hoping to get in a long wog Sunday morning before coming in to work for a few hours. Wish I had the nerve to try to walk to my office -- maybe someday.

Have a great training weekend, everyone! My MFM plan starts 10/2 -- I am actually very excited about getting it underway!

Just checking in to let everyone know that we are doing fine in Houston. The wind has started and the rain should start soon. We feel very lucky because it looks like the hurricane is going to miss us. We decided to stay put, and we are glad that we did. I will try to check in tomorrow and provide another update.

Heather--Glad that you are safe! I'll be praying for you and everyone in TX.

Carrie--Wow! Busy weekend--hope you get everything done. I'd love to see your scrapbooks, I scrapbook too, but I haven't been as faithful with it as I'd like to be. I think I'm still back in 2003!! :teeth:

I just back from a 5 mile run. It was a pretty good run, I felt great the entire time and I really think I could have gone further. It took me about a mile to get into a rhythm, but once I got that down I was fine. I finished in 1:03 and my pace was 12:43--that's about 50 seconds slower than my tempo runs, but I'm thinking that's about right for a long run.

Happy training everyone!!

Krista princess:

Oh boy a stonker today---twice over the bridge....ran for about 1:40 with a 4:1 w/r interval. ETA: 7.75 miles.

Knee problems meant walking up the bridge the first time--which was killer for the tummy--last nights food not settling well. Way later on..I moved my water holder belt to rest on my rib cage and that feeling went away. Took a few more walk breaks than expected and pacing is not wear I like it--but when you walk that is what happens to the runners pace :).

I think my pace is 13:45 (extra walking and twice across the bridge RT which is a total of 4 crossings). Icing right now--so can't go check the Garmin.

I am going to resort myself to being a Penguin I thought--the running harder/faster stuff is just too hard on my body. I'm not a fast person. Darn physique!

Envious of all you sub-10:00 speedies! ( I would have said speedos---but well...you know... ;)).

Well I did it. I have officially finished my first race ever. And I got my Garmin yesterday just in time for the race. I did a 5K & finished in 46 min (garmin says I went 3.18 miles) Avg pace was 14.30 min/mile. I'll take that. Now that I've done my first I think I am officially overwhelmed with having to go 10 miles further than I went today :earseek: What have I gotten myself into!?

Well-got to go clean the house & other fun stuff.

Hope all of you on the Texas Gulf coast are staying safe!

Happy training everyone!

TiffJ said:
Well I did it. I have officially finished my first race ever. And I got my Garmin yesterday just in time for the race. I did a 5K & finished in 46 min (garmin says I went 3.18 miles) Avg pace was 14.30 min/mile. I'll take that. Now that I've done my first I think I am officially overwhelmed with having to go 10 miles further than I went today :earseek: What have I gotten myself into!?

Well-got to go clean the house & other fun stuff.

Hope all of you on the Texas Gulf coast are staying safe!

Happy training everyone!

Congratulations, Tiff! Awesome, awesome job! Great pace, too! You have to be so proud of yourself for doing that your first time out! Dont' forget we have about 15 weeks or so to build our endurance! Enjoy the accomplishment! :goodvibes

Today I did the Quantico Marine Corps 1/2 marathon as a training run for the MCM. It was an experience I wouldn't repeat anytime soon - the course is nothing but hills - some gentle rolling, some steep...not a flat spot on the course! To make matters worse, the race is run without street closures - granted there wasn't much traffic on the Marine base this morning, but racewalking on the shoulder of the road, with slanted shoulders and cracked blacktop and all those hills...My ITB is speaking evil things to me right now. As I sit here I am icing my thighs and soaking my feet....
But my time was fairly good - I don't have official results yet but my Garmin results said I did 13.27 miles in 2 hours 51 minutes - a 12:54 pace.
And I'm that many more steps closer to Goofy!
kath

Way to go Kath! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: The Goofy is almost yours!

Great job Tiff on your first race! :banana: :banana: You will be ready for the half in January, just keep training.

We made it through Hurricane Rita with no problems. The Houston area was very lucky. We lost power for 12 hours, but it was no big deal.

With the cooler temps that Rita brought, I was able to run 5 miles tonight. I had a steady pace and finished in 1:10. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!