Week of Sep 18 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

panthergirl said:
Christa and Bree - Did you guys run Saturday morning? I passed a couple of runners and one looked like Christa from the picture you posted a few weeks ago. Just wondered if it might have been you guys. I was in Myers Park on the road that cuts through to Providence where the water station is around 8:15 or so.
Susan - How bout those Panthers! :banana: We ran on Friday, but that is where we run. Do you do your LRs on Saturday? I run the LRs with Bree and my DH. I have actually lost about 20 lbs since that picture was taken. :cool1: Hope to see you sometime.

Ran 3 today in 27 min. Do not have the splits b/c I am poor and do not own a Garmin (I call it a Grimlin :rotfl: ). Will bike or swim easy tomorrow b/c of LRs.
Christa

Hey everybody! I haven't posted in awhile, so I thought I'd let everyone know I was still alive. I know Krista has been posting quite a bit and I see my name mentioned every once in awhile in her posts, but I still feel bad that I haven't kept up with the boards and everyone's progress lately. From the looks of this week's/last week's threads, it looks like everyone is moving along pretty well. Good job!

Well, I'm back running again after nursing my knee injury for a few weeks. I'm in week 3 of my training program, and I seem to be able to run without too much pain in the knee (as long as I don't push it too hard on hills). I've been doing a lot of strength training for my legs, so I think that helps. And I've become close friends with the ice pack. :)

Is it just me, or is it getting more exciting as the weeks tick away to January? Especially now that most everyone has started some sort of official training. And are we the only ones who have already decided on our entire wardrobes for race day?

David and Denise--welcome! I'm sure you'll find this is a great group of people here. Six months ago, I never would have thought I'd be planning to meet a group of total strangers in WDW for at least one get-together dinner and possibly more, but these guys really are a great bunch.

Ok, I'm not going to post too much since I don't have any extraordinary stories to tell (unlike Krista who manages to skin up her entire leg falling on completely flat stretches of road). :) Hope everyone is having a great week and happy training!

Oh, and by the way--sorry Craig, but I was THRILLED to see the Patriots lose this weekend. Too bad that'll be two losses in a row for them since they face my boys this coming weekend. ;)

Steve

skfulkers said:
And I've become close friends with the ice pack. :)
Steve

LOL, welcome to my world. I have been spending more time stretching and icing than I am running. Is it suppose to be that way??

Good to hear from you Steve, keep up the good work, and keep Krista from hurting herself. ;)

Christa, great pace on the three miler. It must have felt like a walk in the park for you!

Solo, glad you got the Garmin working again!

David and Denise, welcome! Come by here often, it is really a good place to be!

Sunny, I hope you get rested up! You have really done great in past few weeks. As everyone says, you are amazing, I wish I had your willpower.

Colleen

kaf7878 said:
So a couple questions--how do you guys keep sweat from dripping into your eyes while running. This was a BIG issue for me at the half in January--I think I was blind most of the race!

Second question, do you use a "fanny" pack while running?? I need to use one since I'm running outdoors to hold my keys and cell phone (while DD is in nursury). The pack is constantly moving, chafing, bouncing, etc. Anyone have a solution for this???

I wipe it on any material that will reach my face...sports bra strap if I have to.

I used a fanny pack...I tighten it as tight as possible to minimize the chafing and practiced with it in all outdoor runs in excess of 4 miles. I also wear the pack part in the back...and then just rotate it up front when I need something.

Using body glide on sensitive areas will help reduce/eliminate chafing.

Hi, David & Denise! Welcome! Sounds like you guys are definitely gonna be running with the big dogs! You are going to love it here. Everyone is so incredibly supportive and full of helpful information, regardless of your level of performance. Looking forward to seeing you guys around here!

Hi WISH Team!

Whoo Hooo! Lots of folks checking in! Can't wait til everyone comes back to the fold!

Sorry to all those who are nursing injuries. Hey! Be careful! No injuries now.

Welcome to the newbies. Glad you can join in. Looking forward to hear of your progress.

Everyone is making great progress. I loved catching up on things.

I won't address everyone, but a couple of things really stuck in my mind.

Cam, what great progress. I think you have it all going the right way now.

Lisa, as always, thanks for your wealth of information. I guess I will have to suggest to family that they will not want to see me pass by them at BW. I didn't realize it would be so near the finish by then.

Sunny, wow! you are on a major exercise program. I am amazed. I think I would be dead by now if I tried all that.

Same thing for all you doing all those super long bikes, swims, runs....

For those who asked, I am doing my first full marathon...I think. I am actually now registered for both half and full in case I need the security of the half. DS is definitely doing the half, definitely that is unless he bails on that one now too.

Who is asking for the HR info. I train with my monitor ALL the time. I train well in the high range for me. Old lady that I am, if I go according to the HR formula of 220 minus age and 80% I think I would be going snail's pace. I figure that I am doing the slow mode as I do the LRs however. I train at a higher rate during my week shorter runs. I think that basic info is in many of the books that we have linked here at WISH.

I went tonight for a 4 miler and did a nice job I am thinking. I pressed up a bit for me...ok all you quick ones look the other way...I did 4.21 miles in 55:40! For me, that is great! I also need to get a lot more dedicated. I have found that after reviewing my calendar log that I have really slipped in my training. I hope to have a better handle on this now. My head is back in the game I think.

More later, have fun training! We can do it!

Keeping a close eye on Hurricane Rita. It looks like my long run may not happen this weekend. Today I rode 6.4 miles on the stationary bike. Tomorrow is a rest day. If the hurricane continues to make a B-line for Houston, I will be headed out of town by Friday. :moped:

Heather--Be careful!!!! :wizard: That you stay safe!

Denise & David--Welcome!! :wave: You'll be so glad that you found these boards.

Lily--Awesome pace on your 4 miles! Are you going Goofy?

Thanks everyone for your well wishes, I hate it that I'm such a klutz! When I was a little girl my parents were so frustrated with me because I would always fall and skinned up my knees and in the process scratched up the lens on my glasses. My poor parents had to replace so many pairs of glasses! :goodvibes I didn't run Monday or Tuesday, although I probably could have ran last night, but I choose to plan out our Disney vacation instead. :teeth: 31 days from now Stephen and I will be on the plane headed to WDW!! :cheer2:

Happy training, everyone and STAY SAFE!!! ;)

Krista princess:

Hi everyone!

I'm back from the land of no training as I am now able to sit and walk with no pain the ole sciatica or pain in the hinny is really a pain in the hinny :rotfl2:

Last night I wogged for 30 minutes as per my training plan. Yes it is actually time to start the real training plan so I am motivated to get my hinny off the couch :rotfl:

Question - Does anyone know of good stretching exercises for the sciatica? During my wog last night the walk section was fine but the jog brought back the pain which was pretty severe. Any ideas?

Tonight is a cross train day and I plan to go golfing with some friends. This really works the sciatica so we'll see how it goes.

Happy training everyone :goodvibes

Tiger Lily 03 said:
Hi WISH Team!

I won't address everyone, but a couple of things really stuck in my mind.

Cam, what great progress. I think you have it all going the right way now.

. . . . .

More later, have fun training! We can do it!

Thank you so much, Lily! So glad you are back, and so glad to hear that you are doing great! That pace ROCKS!!! :cool1:

I am really excited to have hit my sub-15:00 pace and am so determined to keep it there while I add miles. Am worried that when I start the MFM plan on 10/2, I might be taking a step backwards. But I think I am going to do the "walk the half" plan, but do it with some jogging intervals. The walk/run plan is too strenuous for me, so this might be a good compromise.

TXBelle - I noticed you asked if anyone else is planning to r/w the 1/2 marathon - Well that's my plan. My asthma and knee won't allow a continual run at this point so a wogging I will go. I am following Jeff Galloway's plan that incorporates walk breaks.

Steve

That's cool, I do watch a little football, including the patsies, but my true passion is the true football, oddly called soccer here.

My daughter and I have season's tickets to the NE REvolution (also owned by the Kraft family) on the field, literally 2 meters from the sideline. When you're that close you really appreciate the speed and technical skill of the game at the professional level.

We also have been able to watch the U.S. Men's National Team play 4 times this year, and the game at that level is so much faster and more skilled.

If you heckled me about my beloved US Men losing, I would not take that well at all. I'm hoping or praying to get tickets for Germany in 2006 so I can travel and watch the World Cup matches.

Kaf7878

I wear a running hat, which you can buy at any good running store. They are cool max, so they breathe, and the band keeps the sweat from pouring into my eyes. If it's hot and humid like this year I'll also wear a big wrist band so I can wipe the area around my eyes with it. I run in my contacts, so it's really key to keep the sweat out.

Cam

You're great on pace, sub-15 minutes is gold, creating lots of cushion with the sweeper. Now build that distance!

My training? Pretty darn good these days. 9.5 last Friday, and some mile repeats at 8:40 pace yesterday. Hope to get 10 Saturday morning. I'd feel smug about this, but my wife is already out to 10.8 on her last long run. She's a machine, running precisely the same pace on all of her long runs.

2 weeks from tomorrow we're off to WDW for the Run for the Taste 10K. The course is very similar to the last 10K of the marathon, so I'll literally get a "taste" of what I'm facing on January 8.

Craig

Time for me to start getting back on some kind of training program! Most of our move is done. Just some clean-up at the old house and one last box to move, but still a LOT of unpacking and organizing to do here!

TiffJ, hope you're not a packrat like both DH and I are! We managed to get rid of a lot of "stuff" 2 years ago before we moved from CT to FL, but we still have a lot we can't seem to part with! The one thing I can suggest that helped was starting to pack early!

Lily, it was great seeing you and DH while you were here! I'm really impressed that you kept up your wogging even while you were at WDW!

Cam, I am so impressed with your improvement! I think we were at about the same pace when you started and, well, I'm still pretty much there! I mean, I have improves some, but no where near as much as you have. Hopefully I will get a little faster now that I am almost through with the distraction of moving.

Heather and anyone else in Rita's path - stay safe!

Time to get back to the boxes. Walked about 2 miles last night. Plan to get out there again tonight. I'm trying to let DH set the pace because he naturally walks at the pace I'd like to be going. :sunny:

Ugh.... :guilty:

Is anyone else out these getting bored with running yet?? (Anyone?? Just me?? OK...) For some reason, I could NOT get excited to run today. I really wanted to exersice and EVERYTHING sounded good-- weights, stairclimbing, swimming, biking-- everything EXCEPT running. I manage to get out the door but I cut it short after about 20 minutes. I just felt sore and I could seem to... get my brain into it, maybe?? I used to get really psyched about the idea of getting out there and getting my run in, but now.... not so much. I figure I have about 36 hours to get myself really psyched up for my 8-miler Friday. Right now, the idea makes me want to take a nap :)

Everyone looks like they are doing SO WELL right now. Keep up the good work!

Happy training everyone!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Minnie said:
Hi everyone!

Question - Does anyone know of good stretching exercises for the sciatica? During my wog last night the walk section was fine but the jog brought back the pain which was pretty severe. Any ideas?

:goodvibes
Actually the sciatic is a nerve and you don't stretch nerves. You can stretch hip, back, and gluteus muscles to help you!
Most of the ileotibial band (ITB) stretches work this area - you can do a google search for dozens of pages to stretch this area.
Try the one listed here - its one of the most often recommended!http://walking.about.com/cs/fitnesswalking/l/blexhipstretch.htm

or look at thestretches on the right of this list - http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/HipsWt.html
kath

solotraveler said:
Ugh.... :guilty:

Is anyone else out these getting bored with running yet??

oh I've been there (and will be back no doubt). Actually, many times when I hit that "dread" zone there's a burst of performance just around the corner... Be patient! You'll get your love back :love:

In the mean time, Just Do It (Nike paid me to say that :earboy2: )

I did 6.1 miles on the TM today. I guess it was a tempo run. I spent 30 minutes in the middle at 6.8 mph. Back pain is gone. Yahoo!

Sunny

Solo, YES, I definately get bored of running!!! I'm okay right now since I just started back after injury but I know the feeling well. When training for the half this past January, I used to dread some of my runs, esp. long ones. The key is to just do it anyway--you feel awesome afterwards! It definately helps to think of yourself in training vs just running for fun.

Minnie said:

If it originates in your glute area...a good stretch for your tushy...and the side of your leg....

While standing (and possibly holding on to something)....bend one leg and rest the other foot on your thigh...and mimic a sitting motion (legs will not be crossed ladylike..but manlike is the best way to describe it). Switch and do other leg.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
While standing (and possibly holding on to something)....bend one leg and rest the other foot on your thigh...and mimic a sitting motion (legs will not be crossed ladylike..but manlike is the best way to describe it). Switch and do other leg.

I like doing a version of the stretch above...

stand facing a bed and with your right leg crossed or bent in a man-like fashion, place it on the bed. Your left leg is still on the floor. Be sure your right leg is bent at this 90 degree angle and lying entirely on the bed. Bend over and stretch, I seem to be able to relax the glut muscle more and increase the fexibility.

Hey Guys

Real Quick, anyone that's flying from Hartford for the marathon that doesn't have tix yet, Southwest has tix for $45 one way up until Jan 9th!!!

Awesome rate, too bad I already bought mine w/ flysong.

BUT HURRY!! The rate's only good until 1p.m. EST

Jodi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter