Week of Sep 25 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Thanks for your encouragement team!! I have to admit, I did feel pretty spent this afternoon. I need to ice my knees and hipflexor...boy am I hungry!!

Txbelle, good luck with your race tomorrow!

Sunny, you too! Good luck with the half, I know you will do great!

Colleen

Heather and Sunny - Good luck tomorrow!

Happy thoughts for everyons lr tomorrow!

Clearly I have too much time on my hands during my rest day! I have done laundry, done my Bible study, driven to Fayetteville to let the boy pick our a buzz lightyear costume (which he was sooooo proud of!) and surfed the internet for race reports from our recent adventure race. I wanted to read about the other teams experiences and find our where and why some teams dropped out. Anyway, in the process, I learned that one of the racers (female) had recently competed in a "bare buns fun run!", so I had to search deeper. I have now, unfortunatley, learned that there is a whole series of nude races. I think it is quite funny! It looks like florida is hosting one soon! I'm thinking that is one adventure I will have to skip, but I had no idea of all of the variations of the sport!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2:

MelRhoads said:
I have now, unfortunatley, learned that there is a whole series of nude races. I think it is quite funny! It looks like florida is hosting one soon! I'm thinking that is one adventure I will have to skip, but I had no idea of all of the variations of the sport!!! :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Good Grief, now I have heard it all!!! Naked racing??? That is just sick, all kinds of parts dangling around.... :sick: Not a site I'd want to see...
We did our 10 mile run this morning. Christa needed to finish quickly to get to her daughter's school for a function so we tore the pavement up. I don't remember the last time we were that motivated to get a run finished. I did 10 in about 1:40 or so (as she said there is rush hour traffic that time of morning so we take a couple minutes off when we have to wait at lights etc.) she finished a couple minutes ahead of me as I opted to take one last walk break before finishing up a hill.

Mel - you mentioned in a post today that you'd like to do a half in March, I think it was? I think you'll be fine. You will have your mileage built up from running the race in January, so take a rest break the week after disney then just keep up at least 8 to 10 miles once a month until the race in March. Others may say different but that's what my FIL tells us to do if we want to run two full marathons a month or so apart (he tells us to run at least 20 miles once a month). He's run over 80 marathons so I tend to listen to him ;)

Anyway, must go for now, I'm at work and can't play on the net anymore today. :)

~Bree~

O.k. Minnie here it comes the "if I can do it anybody can" speach. Really I am a former couch potato turned racer. The MFM plan is 14 weeks so you can do it in time. DON'T GIVE UP!!!! Just think of being able to proudly wear that t-shirt & how impressive to be able to say "I did that!"

Today was my 30 min wog. I did 2 miles(not incl warm up & cool down) and avg a 13:51 pace!!!! (and I know this thanks to my very cool Garmin) Woo Hoo I was so excited. I have been feeling kinds puney (dont know how to spell that) this week so I have been just going through the motions. Today the weather was perfect & I felt great so I pushed myself and it was worth it.
Tomorrow is XT , I do my LR on Sun when we are less busy.

I am doing the race for the cure on 10/15. It is a big event here & should be alot of fun.

I am getting so excited the closer it gets too. That excitement and pure "uh oh it isnt that far off" helps for me to push myself & get off the couch.

Everyone keep up the good work. You are all doing great!

Sorry about being a little behind on this topic, but my weeks are pretty busy these days.

Anyway . . .

As posted by Lisa, please, please, please be sure to remember the difference between the elites and the elitest.

Your thread is similar to what I told my daughter one day during her high school years. During the summer I would play soccer in the evenings with the varsity men at our College, and I asked Lesley to come along. Her first reaction was, "I'm not nearly good enough to play with those guys." Well, true, but completely false (I was in my early 40's, and I wasn't up to their level any more either). I told Lesley that the guys all know she is a player, and to anyone who loves to play soccer, all players are respected, and all players are welcome on the pitch. Sure, there are enormous differences in ability and skill, but a player is a player. Young or old, male or female, and they are all welcome. She bucked up the courage to step onto the field with men and learned that sure, she wasn't nearly the player they were, but regardless of that, they welcomed her on the field, and treated her like any other player. In fact, one of our players ran right over her, and they both went down in a heap. When they both got up laughing I knew I had won this one. A player is a player. In my parenting career, that was one of the lessons that seemed to stick. If you work, try, and have the courage to step out there, the good folks are glad to have you. I cannot tell you the pride I felt being on the pitch, playing a game I love with the girl I adore, because she had the guts to try.

I've had the pleasure to run in a few events with elite runners, and it was a thrill. I'm sure they didn't worry about me, and I sure didn't worry about them, but we both did the training and ran the race. Perhaps my biggest thrill in running was an out and back 15K over 20 years ago which I finished sub-60 minutes. I was flying by my own internal clock, about 6:20 per mile, and I'll be damned if I wasn't at about mile 3.7 when the fast guys came back past me, at about mile 5.5. All I could think of was "WOW."

First, remember that the really, really fast runners will not be at Disney. Not enough $ and status. Second, remember that the vast majority of runners are folks like us. Third, remember that many, many of the runners will be doing this for the first time. I, for example, will do my first ever full marathon on January 8. Am I apprehensive? You bet. Am I worried about what people think of me? Absolutely not, as I'm facing the same training and race distance as the other runners. Am I glad to have a lot of folks like me out there? You bet again.

Anyone who make a smart *** comment is a fool. I'd be surprised if 1% of the runners in January, or at any other race are fools. The rest of us welcome anyone, and RESPECT ANYONE who has done the work to get to the starting line.

Finally, sorry about the length of my rant, remember that the race is the fun part. The training for weeks and months in advance is sometimes fun and sometimes a terrible strain, but the race is your reward. Enjoy every step of the race, because YOU DID THE WORK to get to the start.

11 tomorrow morning, and I wasn't at this point until early December last year. I can hardly wait for January 7 and 8.

Cheers to all.

Craig

Happy Friday everyone!

I am trying to catch up my reading and hope to figure out what everyone has been doing.

I am really enjoying the ENERGY of the topic this week! We all belong and the party is where we are for sure. Let the others be what they will. They wish, we WISH!
No, Liz. You cannot have my Garmin. ;) If I could I would give you one, but I cannot part with it. If I could I would give one to all my WISH teammates! I really like that toy.

MelR, I’m still tired from your adventure. Hope you got in some rest. It would take me a lifetime to recover. Thanks for sharing your pics.

lizdotcom99 said:
Good to see so many training...a friend once told me before my attempt at a half marathon, you HAVE to put the steps in......don't tell her this, but she WAS right!!!

Keep training and getting those steps~~~ :banana: :banana: :banana:
What a smart friend to have said that.

chersheyb said:
Help-
I am registered for the full in 2006 and I fell off the Train-ing this past week. My longest run was 7.2 miles in 1hour and 35 min. I will run tomorrow!!

If there is anyone else running the full as their first full please help me motivate myself.
Wow! That pace is just fine. (13.19444) min/mi is doing better than the minimum required pace. YOU ARE DOING IT! Keep up the great work. I will be behind you.

the greatest bunch of average people ever to gather in one place
I like this too.

Minnie, You can do it! MFM is your answer. Be a penguin with me. Don’t worry, you have time, just don’t overdo it with trying for too much speed this week. Build back up slowly. Press as you can, but not to much. You will not be sorry if you continue. You will do it!

Craig, you always have such great things to say. Thank you for your gift.

As far as not being last, I will be last for us. I don’t mind. I just want to complete the event within time.

Now that I have read up this week’s events. I am ready for my lr tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your input. You keep me going.

Thunder, thunder, thunderation!
We’re the WISH group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a GREAT sensation!

I'll be attempting (no, make that doing) my first marathon at WDW in Jan. Not only that, but I'm doing the 1/2 for the Goofy, also. It's my first half, also.

While I wasn't a couch potato, I definately wasn't an endurance athlete either. In fact, I really didn't start training until July. I'm wa-a-ay behind those of you who are up to 10-11 miles now.

I figure I gave myself this challenge and I'll be successful if I finsh both races. Slow and steady is how I'm approaching it. When I have to walk, I will. And when I can run, I will.

I'm looking at these races as fun and the first of many more to come. :)

Terri

Hi WISH Team!

Terri! You go! Sounds like a great attitude. Keep at it and who knows, maybe we'll be making it down that Goofy path together. I'm reserving my attempt as time gets closer. I am registered for both, but really have the full marathon as my primary goal. Registered for the half as an "insurance" plan and my DS asked if I would go with him. Will be dependant on many things and I won't know until I get there that weekend how I will feel about it all.

I'm back, coffee and oatmeal refreshed. I did 9.5 miles started out later than I have been when I meet up with the group, I am going to miss that our group obligation is over and today I was all alone. Saw tons of birdies making lots of noise in the tree tops gathering to move on their migration path, many deer, squirrels, chipmonks, I am at peace. Now to hit the grind...

Since my main man had to work this morning, I took the boy and we ran in the furry friends 5k (benefiting the humane society for animals). I thought he would enjoy seeing all of dogs. I let him run across the finish line with me. Of course, he HAD to beat me. I actually had to stop with the finish line in sight, pull the jogger of the course, unbuckle him and then hold his hand so that he could run the finish line. It was a very small race with tons of goodies! I came home with a whole pack of zone bars, a bunch of rice crispy treats and other cool stuff. The shirt was good too. The best part was that me and the boy placed 2nd in my age range. Not that I ran very fast, but there was noone there. I do think the gal that placed 3rd was a little put out that we beat her (it was just by a few seconds), but she got over it when she won the free xm sattelite radio!!!!!

Hope everyone has good races this weekend - Christa, Bree, Heather and everyone doing the races for the cure and Sunny at the 1/2! :wizard: :wizard:

Hey all! Did the Race For The Cure today. Was so great!!! Finished in 1:09. :sunny: This is the slowest pace I have ever gone, but the most rewarding. I was the team leader and walked with my mom, sis, dad, DH, BIL, and best friend (who I went with her to all her chemo treatments - she is only 37 - was 36 when she discovered her lump in her breast.) We laughed, talked, and took everything in the whole way. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc Then we went to the post race party and got a ton of goodies, including this BIG tupperware thing that holds cereal. We had so much fun. I have now talked my sis into doing a 1/2 marathon with me in March. :cheer2:
Have a great day all!
Christa

gatorphipps said:
Hey all! Did the Race For The Cure today. Was so great!!! Finished in 1:09. :sunny: This is the slowest pace I have ever gone, but the most rewarding. Christa

Christa, sounds like you had a great morning! :flower: :flower:

Melissa, congratulations on your race with the boy! Love it when you call him that. Love those post race goodies!

Colleen

Race for the Cure Central FL
Okay, now that I've got your attention, this race is next Saturday(Oct 8th) morning at Animal Kingdom. The course actually goes through the park and it's for a great cause. The biggest race entry wise we've ever done was Race for Cure in Philadelphia with 40000 people. The Syracuse one had grown to over 7000 the last time we did that one(it's Mother's Day weekend and we started going to Ottawa for the National Capital race weekend with races ranging from 3k to 42 k or 26.2 miles for the metric impaired and now those races have been moved to Memorial day weekend.) Grandma, mom's(NyCPA) mom, is a 7 year survivor and we know a ton of other people that have been affected by breast cancer too.

While I was at packet pickup for the half tomorrow, I picked up a race entry form for a 10 mile race called the 25th annual Mid-Winter 10 mile classic that's being held Feb 5th. Since it's the 25th running of it, apparently there are other idiots here in ME too. It's not like we're in FL or TX- this is Maine. I'll probably sign up for it to keep myself running through the winter. Anyone have any suggestions for an April marathon since the likelyhood of my running a Boston qualifying time is small?

Speaking of small world, anyone seen the November Runner's World? When I ran cross country my senior year of high school, Jenn Rhines and I were the 2 athletes that our coach knew for a fact lived out of district since we both lived in Oswego cty. Her dad taught in district and I wasn't willing to transfer for my senior year of high school. We ran on the same team but definitely not in the same league as she was national class even as a sophmore in high school and I was running mostly because I was irritated with the soccer coaches at that school after they made the cuts for the U-16 ODP team. I felt like I didn't have a fair chance because I wasn't an athlete that had played for them for the past 10 years so I didn't go out for the high school team. Ahh the logic of teen agers. Actually that was the year that I discovered I liked 2 things about running- LSD(long slow distance, not the hallucinogenic although sometimes...) and trail running and preferred combining the 2.

Good luck everyone with your racing or training. Time to get back to sleep, the objectives that is, as I'm writing up the ones for insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, and parasomnias. Actually by following the training plan with the taper for the race, I practically bouncing so hopefully it translates into a good run in the morning. Nathalie(another Army HPSPer) and I have ran together at least once a week since coming back from OBC in TX this summer and we ran fast on Weds and it felt good. We slowed because she needed to, not me. It's fun to make Nat work as she is 9 years younger than I am.

The Race for the Cure was great! We had over 34,000 participants in Houston. I walked with a friend of mine. The time was not great (52:10) because it took almost 2 miles to make our way around the tons of people in front of us. It was incredible to see all of the breast cancer survivors, young and old. It really is a disease that affects everyone. I am thinking of asking friends for pledges for the 1/2 marathon to benefit the Susan Komen Cancer Foundation, Houston Chapter.

I jumped in the MFM training at the long walk for week 3. I only completed 3.75 miles of the 4 because someone forgot to start their garmin :(. I walked it in 60 min. Not fast enough to finish ahead of the sweepers but I have time to build up speed. I decided to start with week 3 long walk because I very seldom walk less than 3 miles when I decide to go out and actually do it.

For those of you who like the Asics, I have an almost brand new pair (worn once for an evening at the mall) which don't fit right with my new orthodics. They are too cushioned and my feet wobble all over the place. I went to Fleet Feet and got fitted to Brooks Radius 05. They have more stability and work well with my orthodics. The Asics are a size 8 Gel Cumulus and have purple trim. If anyone is interested in them PM me and I will get back to you.

I will have to do my training next week on the treadmill since I will be on Long Island, living in the motel and working again. They have a pretty decent ftness room with brand new equipment. The training from Friday to Monday will be done at WDW. The sacrafices we have to make to get our training in.:rotfl::rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter