Week of Sep 25 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Lisa loves Pooh said:
Just for clarification--- It weren't me who made the judgement. :blush:

Terrible that the elites are like that.

Oh I didn't think it was you!!!! I knew you were the defender not the offender:)

Also for clarification, I don't think the elites in general are like that, I think its the "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch" sort of thing! I've ran with elites from my gym who welcome me with open arms! I think we need to be careful not to judge on either side of the fence!

I was quick to point out the negative encounters I've had, but mostly I get really good positive/encouraging comments from people. I'll focus on those instead :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

T.G.I.F.
Happy LR everyone :)

Sunny

keenercam said:
the greatest bunch of average people ever to gather in one place

I love that, Cam! Maybe we need two Tshirts ;)

keenercam said:
Is anyone else getting more and more excited with each passing day? Heck, I can't even focus on Christmas because I keep looking right beyond it!

Yes! When I look at my ticker and see it's just over 3 months away...it's exciting and scary all at once!

Carrie...I meant to ask if you'd looked online for your ASICS. I get mine from roadrunnersports.com.

Krista...that game last weekend was a heartbreaker, but at least Craig is happy :) Take care of that ankle!

I'm supposed to cross-train today, but I'm home with the wild todd whose daycare is closed today and a sick DD12. Cross-training may involve going to get groceries ;)

chersheyb said:
Help-
I am registered for the full in 2006 and I fell off the Train-ing this past week. My longest run was 7.2 miles in 1hour and 35 min. I will run tomorrow!!

If there is anyone else running the full as thier first full please help me motivate myself.

Thank you

chersheyb

Hey, I resemble that remark. ;) You are not far behind. We are scheduled to do a 9-miler on Saturday, but then we drop back to 6 the following week. I'd get at least 8 in this weekend if I were you, because I think there's a 10-miler lurking around the next bend.

It helps that I have dh pushing me and it's something we can do together. It's terribly daunting some days, though. I told dh last night tha twe would be on a plane 99 days from yesterday. He freaked. I started to say, "Yes, we will be runninga marathon 2 days after that." That was not the scary part to him, though. He said, "That means we will have finished all of our Christmas shopping and Christmas will already be over." Yikes! I don't knwo which one is scarier. However, running through WDW adn looking at that Mickey medal is somethign that I am sure that I will never forget!

Hang in there! We were doing nothing before we started training in March. Last weekend, we ran 8 miles! (Even when we started, we were only doing 4/1 w/r.) If we can come this far, you can take it from 7.2 now to the end. No more weeks off, though! ;)

chersheyb said:
Help-
I am registered for the full in 2006 and I fell off the Train-ing this past week. My longest run was 7.2 miles in 1hour and 35 min. I will run tomorrow!!

If there is anyone else running the full as thier first full please help me motivate myself.

Thank you

chersheyb

This is my first marathon too. I am slotted for 9 today too, but want to try and do 11 miles. I REALLY don't feel like it and let my DH know about it too. He gave me the best advice. He said you just need to get the miles in anyway, anyhow! If you run 1 mile and then walk 1 mile, that is fine. You just need to get your body used to burning calories for that long of a time. Depleting your stores is important so next time you will be able to farther and longer. I hope this makes sense.

Long runs can be as slow as you need them to be. Slow and steady.

Liz, good to hear from you. I enjoy your posts and think about you often too.

Melissa, glad you survived the weekend!

Chilly here in NC, 58 F, which would be perfect running weather, but we have a little wind too!

Off for my 11 miles...

Colleen

plutosmyfav said:
Oh I didn't think it was you!!!! I knew you were the defender not the offender:)

Also for clarification, I don't think the elites in general are like that, I think its the "one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch" sort of thing! I've ran with elites from my gym who welcome me with open arms! I think we need to be careful not to judge on either side of the fence!

I was quick to point out the negative encounters I've had, but mostly I get really good positive/encouraging comments from people. I'll focus on those instead :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

T.G.I.F.
Happy LR everyone :)

Sunny

Aaaaahhhh....

Last point...difference between the "elite" and someone who is being "elitest". The ones who are being "elitest" are the means ones. Just because you are an "elite athlete", I agree---just means your really really really darn good at what you do. :smooth:

Yay! Mel has an at home day, so she can play a little! Hope you're new job is going well!

Shoe dilema - My original ASICS were a little too short. My feet were hurting, so I really couldn't wait for mail order. I got new ones Wednesday. I'm afraid they slip too much in the heel, although they fit good in the store. If I do a lace lock, it feels to tight on the top of my foot. I'll see how tomorrow goes. I went 2 sixzes bigger and maybe I should have only gone one. DH will shoot me if I need another pair. :guilty: Oh, BTW, I got the 2100's. They only had the blue ones, but they're still pretty cool.

They are well broken in, though. I think the monsoon we ran through Wednesday helped with that. Some for the puddles on the bike path wer at least 4 inches deep.

Sorry for the above scream but I need HELP! Me the queen of a hundred questions has a major one.

Since my litteral pain in the hinny/knee has kept me sidelined I have been able to do absolutley no training. I'm now feeling a bit better and want to get out on the road. I thought I'd give a wog a trial this weekend and see how it goes. So question is where should I join my training plan (Jeff Galloway run/walk the 1/2) :confused3 The one I wanted to follow has 17 weeks and we ONLY have 14 weeks left :earseek:

This program would have me jumping in at 5 miles for this lr and then 6 next lr. Should I do this or am I risking reinjury? Is there a different program that might work better for me? I thought I read that the MFM plan has a shorter program (don't have the book) or am I going to have to give up on this year :worried: :sad:

Minnie--Don't give up!! MFM has plans on-line, go to www.waddleon.com. You'll see on the left hand side 3 races: Arizona, Columbus, and Chicago; if you click on them, there are training schedules for the half and full marathon. Arizona is a 14 week program, Columbus is a 13 week program, and Chicago is a 10 week program. Good luck!!

My ankle is feeling better, Stephen went to a running store and got me an ankle brace made for runners. I'm running a 5K tomorrow night, I'm not looking to set any PR's between my ankle and the course. The course is in downtown Cincinnati--very hilly, very steep hills and I've never run hills before. ARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :teeth:

Good luck everyone this weekend, especially on your LR's! Be careful and stay safe!

Krista princess:

Minnie...MFM R/W the half is 14 weeks. What was your last long run before your injury? The MFM plan starts at a nice 3 mile long run the first week.

Hal Higdon also has a 12 week plan on his website halhigdon.com

If anyone's interested in Spring Break in FL, the inaugural Grouper Run will be on March 5,2006. Should be a pretty course along Sarasota Bay
2006 Grouper Run

I'm thinking about trying the half, but not sure how to do the training coming off Disney. Any suggestions from the big dogs? :dog2:

Good morning all!

I did my 9-miler first thing this morning. The usual 3 run/2 walk pace. Wow was it chilly! Anyhow, I finished in 1:24:38, which averages out to 9:24/mile pace!! :banana: :banana: So that's roughly 23 miles this week total. Small wonder that I feel very sore at work here this morning! (but that's a good thing!) Next week is an "easier" week for me, but all of my intervals speed up, so I don't know about the "easier" part.

Keenercam- Glad I could help. :)

Carrie- Double digits! Seriously! :earseek: Looks like great running weather here for your 9-miler tomorrow though.

chersheyb- Deep breath-- you can do this thing! 7.2 miles in 1:35 is certainly nothing to shake a stick at. That's a very good base to start training from. I'd try to go ahead and get in 9. If you fall a little short, then that's OK. If you have to walk it, that's OK too. Just get the mileage in.

Minnie- Don't you dare think about quitting. After all we went through to get you to register?? No way are you giving up now. I might try walking your five miler this weekend. If you feel good enough to jog a little, go ahead-- but try and get those five miles on your legs. MFM I believe has a 14 week half plan (don't have the book in from of me). The run/walk or walk/run plans have timed sessions during the week and one long run on the weekend. Whether or not you put in less distance depends on your speed. Come on everyone--- time to rally around Minnie :grouphug:

I will be driving up to Ottawa to visit a friend after work Saturday and I'll be back in MI sometime late Tuesday. So I will be on and offline during that period.

Happy training everyone!
Solotraveler :earsboy:

Come on, Minnie! You can do this. Definitely check out John Bingham's website. 14 weeks is still a good amount of time to train. :cheer2: You can do this!!!!!!

Solotraveler -- 9 miles! On a weekday? I am so impressed.

Krista -- so glad your ankle is feeling a bit better. Your DH sounds like such a sweetie, taking such good care of you. :lovestruc Please be soooo careful on the hilly course. Hills are tough on healthy ankles -- don't push too hard and be sure to slow down a bit if you are feeling any twinges. We definitely do not want you sidelined. Sending you :goodvibes: and :wizard: for a wonderful time!

Minnie - IIRC the first long r/w/wog of the MFM training fo rthe half is 2 miles. I know you were doing more than that before. Just get it in. If you have to walk, fine. If I were you, I'd get the mileage in and spend about 20 minutes in a cold tub. Don't push it too hard and wakl if you hurt, but I know you can do it! Solo's right, we put too much work into you signing up to have you quit now. ;) :cheer2: :grouphug:

solo - I was cold for my 45 min last night. Wow! BTW, smart choice not running in the monsoon Wed. Can I tell you how much it hurts my pride that you finished 9 miles in the time it took me to do 8 last weekend?? :earboy2: Have a good trip!

princessmomma said:
This is my first marathon too. I am slotted for 9 today too, but want to try and do 11 miles.
You need to have your head examined! That's great that you're feeling that good, though!

Have a great weekend all! Thanks for being here! LIke many others, I would not be here without all of you!

wtpclc said:
You need to have your head examined! That's great that you're feeling that good, though!

Yes, Carrie, I know! I am adjusting the MFM run marathon program a bit so I get two 20 mile runs in before the marathon. But, I did it. Felt terrible when I walked out the door, but the temperature was perfect and I got into a zone and off I went. 11 miles in 1:50:49, just over a 10 minute mile.

Now off to stretch and a cool bath.

Colleen

OK! How is everyone doing? It looks like great! I did read that some are discouraged. Don't be! YOU CAN DO THIS!! Just think about the goal and how great you will feel when you meeet it. :cool1: :banana: :cheer2:

Finished LR of 10 miles today. We start @ 0800 (Down town Charlotte) so have to stop for alot of traffic. I do not take off for that but figure I would have to take off around 7 to 10 min. (We tried to time the stopps and this is what we came up with.) We finished with an ave of 10 min miles (this includes stops for traffic). If I take off for the traffic it would be more like 9:20 min miles. Pretty good I guess. That is a little slower than my race pace so I figure it is right.
Good luck to all you who do your LRs tomorrow. I have a team running the race for the cure. :cool1: We are called Psalm 118: 16 - 17. It was my mother's verse she claimed when she had cancer. It says;
"The right hand of the LORD is exalted;
The right hand of the LORD does valiantly.
I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD."

And she did live! :love: :love: :love: So I run for her!
Happy Days,
Christa

Liz-- so good to see you posting! I seemed to have missed your post when I signed on earlier today. Thank you so much for the kind words of encouragement :grouphug: I guess it really is all relative. I am never intimidated at the gym! I'm rooting for your Red Team :cheer2: Woo Hoo!

Colleen-- Great mileage :cheer2: and great pace!

Christa-- Wow :earseek: what's your race pace? You FLY!!!! What's the difference between your typical LR pace and race pace?

MelR-- great pics! You have quite a big smile for 4:30AM!!!!

I did upper body weights today but that is it. The rest of the day will be rest. I messed up big time on my shoes. I have a pair of Asics Cumulus still in the box never worn, a pair of Cumulus that have at least 500 miles on them and another style of Asics I've been wearing for short runs but won't wear for long runs. (I don't know why I bought them, I only wear Cumulus!). TOMORROW'S MY HALF! None of those shoes are "optimal" for race day. I don't know how I managed to forget to break in the new shoes :confused3 I think my best bet is to wear the high mileage Asics. I'm just concerned about the long stretch of downhill. Too much pounding. I better plan better for WDW!

Sunny

New website to checkout http://www.irongirl.com. I'll add it to our regular list.

they're sponsoring women's only races in Tampa next month. The info on the Tampa race says they put your name on your race bib so people can cheer for you. And they have awards for the top mother-daughter teams. Looks pretty cool!

Christa- Tomorrow I am running the Race for the Cure in Houston. I am running in honor of a friend, and now I will run in your mother's honor as well. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter