Week of Sep 4 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

Jodi - Dh had this problem. He took about a week off from running and rode his bike. That helped strengthen that muscle. I'd ice for at least 10 minutes.

Carrie - I remember you saying your husband had the same problem, it's already better?? Mine has been bugging me after 2 weeks off. Biking sounds smart, I've been doing that @ the gym as well as the elliptical. All the info I read says not to run through the pain, it'll only get worse. But I'm getting sick of waiting for it to get better. Thank you for the info!!

Jodi

I have returned from Disney World. We had a great time. :flower:

My ankle is feeling better. I ran 2/walked 3 today at the gym. I was pleased with my pace after so many days off. I have the 5K at the airport on Saturday. I hope to beat my PR, but I will try not to press too hard so that I do not reinjure my ankle.

It was good to catch up on everyone's posts and see that everyone is in full training mode. :cheer2: Here's some PD for low fares from Chicago so that Liz can cheer us on in January. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Jodi - His was actually more towards spring tha the had problems. May? It seems like one week of biking pretty much took care of it. It still gets a little sore sometimes, but it does not hurt him. (Sore, as in using muscles that are a little weak, not pain) I thought his hurt him when he walked too. DOn't know if that's because we were doing r/w at the time or not. OK. More soming back to me now. I believe that he got new shoes about that time too. Can't guarantee that it helped, but also worth a try.

I'm doing a lot of cross-training this week - translation - moving! I will be really glad when this move is done! Of course, it might go better without all the days off for Disney trips! :earseek: We are meeting TigerLily and her DH tomorrow at Epcot. :cool1: :banana: Her cruise was diverted but she is now safely in WDW and wasn't bothered at all on her cruise by Ophelia except for the diversion on landing.

Cam, Chimera, you're both doing great with your 5K's. I was thinking of trying one in early Oct, but I want to be sure we are done with our move first. I have until Oct 5, I think, to register online, so I'll see how things are going around the 1st and decide then. I really did enjoy the one I did do even if I am slow, and the improvements you two are making really inspire me.

Now, back to packing boxes. Ugh!

Here is a pic from the 10k on labor day. My time was 55:49. Look how happy I look when I'm running, even though I will probably place last in my age group!!!

ViewgalleryPhoto.asp

The boy and I went kayaking today. I paddled 4 miles with the boy using his arms as a rudder!! We stopped to swim, collect shells and fish. We caught 2 kentucky bass, but we let them go. I have no idea how to clean a bass and I might never eat one again if anyone tells me.

I found a new use for the garmin today! I used it on the lake. We didn't get lost and I knew how far and how fast we traveled. I love that thing!

What a great picture Melissa! You look fantastic. Great time on the 10K. You definitely are a big :dog: :paw:

Good morning!! And more importantly.....Happy Friday!!!!!!!!!!!! :sunny: I'm excited for the weekend to officially start, Stephen and I are going to Cedar Point. Other than WDW, it's my most favorite place on the planet. :love: I'm looking forward to running my 4 miles around the resort, alongside the Magnum and Lake Erie. The only thing that's going to put a damper on the weekend is that I know I'm going to worry about Hines. We're taking him to the kennel for the first time, I know he's going to cry for us all weekend! We packed him a bag of his favorite toys and I've been sleeping in an old t-shirt all week so he can have that in the cage with him and it'll smell like home. If I get this upset over my puppy, what it's going to be like when I have a baby??!?!!

I did 32 minutes of the walk/run program last night. Right now I'm doing w/3 r/1, but I'm thinking about kicking it up to w/3, r/2. The run/walk program that I start on Oct. 3 is r/3 w/2--I don't want it to kill me!!

MelR--Awesome picture!! You look mahvalous!!

Mel--Football is officially started!!!!! :cheer2: I've been waiting for this day since February.

Carrie--It's so funny that you ran across I-75! I live and work right off 75, I'm on that stupid road every day, usually sitting in stopped traffic...

Heather--Glad you had a great time in Disney! Stephen and I are going in 43 days. Actually, 43 days from right now (7:40 am), we'll be in the air. Can't wait!!!

Jodi--Get to the doctor!! Hope you're feeling better!

I hope everyone has a great time this weekend and decent runs. I'll be thinking about you when I'm stuffing my face with cotton candy and riding Top Thrill Dragster and my favorite, Millenium Force! Happy training!!

Krista princess:

MelR-- what a great picture! How'd you manage such a great smile? You should definitely order a print!

Krista-- have a blast at Cedar Point. We lived in Columbus, OH one year and never made it out there :( Your puppy will do fine.

Nancy-- good luck on the move. That is definitely serious xt!!!!!

Solotraveler-- you're doing great! Your pace is fantastic!

Minnie-- I'm so sorry to hear of your injury. I hope you are up and running in no time. :grouphug:

I know I am forgetting people, sorry! I've had trouble keeping up lately.

My running schedule was mixed up this week with Labor Day and kindergarten starting.

I took DD for a 4 mile wog on Sunday. She could barely walk Monday and Tuesday. I got a lot of "thanks a lot Mom!" remarks and looks :confused3 On Monday I took DS biking (he bikes, I run). I did a few short sprints but that was the extent of my speed training for the week. I did a 8.5 miler on Tuesday while fighting back the tears (DS's first day of kindergarten). Tuesday was also upperbody weights. Wednesday was lowerbody weights, stairmaster and rower. Thursday was a 5.6 miler on The Battle Road (The road the Minutemen took to meet the Redcoats). Its fairly hilly, dirt and sand. Thursday was also upperbody weigths and stairmaster. Today will be lowerbody weights and some form of xt. Tomorrow should be an 18 miler but I haven't commited the IC to it just yet. I might wimp out with a 16. I will need to get DD back out there for a wog either Sat or Sun, too.

I'm gettting a little disappointed in my lack of pace improvement, but then again, I hardly do any speed work at all so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Sunny

Morning everyone!

Mel- That's a great picture!! I shudder to think what I would look like if someone snapped a picture of me mid-race.

Sunny- Sounds like you're doing great yourself!! Good luck with your 18 miler!

Well, I managed to get outta bed this morning to enjoy a nice sunrise 7-miler. I finished in 1:07.31, which my handy dandy Garmin tells me is 9:30/mile :banana: average pace. I finally figure out how to do splits with the Garmin, so my splits were:
Mile 1: 9:14
Mile 2: 9:11
Mile 3: 9:31
Mile 4: 9:40
Mile 5: 9:39
Mile 6: 9:56 (second water break and had a Gel-- that didn't help the time)
Mile 7: 9:18 (Thank you Gel and I pushed it the last mile)

I feel really good about that. I was having a serious case of "What am I THINKING?" during the first couple of miles, but pushed right through it. :banana:

Anyhow, now I have to go play golf before heading to Toronto to look at condos-- gotta love having the weekend off!!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Happy training everyone! Good luck on your long runs!
Solotraveler :earsboy: :dog2:

Didn't see that anyone else had posted this, but as of this AM the marathon is closed!!!!

Solo - Way to Go!!

Krista - have fun this weekend!

Sunny - 16 Miles?? Who cares how fast you're going...16 miles is scary-awesome.

MelR.- Awesome shot, I never look that happy, even when I'm eating ice cream! :rotfl:

Anyone have any idea how many "contestants" are in the 1/2 & full? Is it going to be any chance of us slow pokes (me) being able to run @ all? Or are there too many people?

Jodi

HI all! Just time for a quick sheck in. I did my 40 min again last night. I do not like back to back days, but I'm sure it will help come marathon when my body does not like 26 staight miles. ;)

Have a great weekend all!

OK - here is a run to put in the neighbors think I'm crazy category. I went on a 3.5 mile run with my external comando (EC) aka marathon girl. Anyway, we pushed the boy and her little one in joggers, while we were wearing full backpacks. The packs were large capacity hydration packs that had the equip required for an adventure race. We had to run by her son's school to drop off some papers. As the boy is not yet in elem school, I had no idea that moms just hang out there. So we come running in the front door, kids in joggers and full packs on our backs. The moms are just sitting on the bench inside looking at us. :snooty: Marathon girl had to drop the papers in the office and I was left to fend off the stares. I tried to speak to the moms sitting there, but they just quickly looked away. I told my friend I felt a little like the bear exibit at the zoo. You know, the one where the people go and look at it and say "what is it going to do next... it smells funny...." Thankfully, that wasn't the school in the boy's district so I am not going to ruin his reputation! :blush:

Sunny - I noticed that you run in some interesting places (the historical road that you mentioned) I ride and sometimes run at a civil war battlefield. We should consider posting pictures from some of our favorite routes. I think Monte would have some good one's to post from the Rockies. I would really enjoy seeing where everyone is training.

MelRhoads said:
Here is a pic from the 10k on labor day. My time was 55:49. Look how happy I look when I'm running, even though I will probably place last in my age group!!!

ViewgalleryPhoto.asp

The boy and I went kayaking today. I paddled 4 miles with the boy using his arms as a rudder!! We stopped to swim, collect shells and fish. We caught 2 kentucky bass, but we let them go. I have no idea how to clean a bass and I might never eat one again if anyone tells me.

I found a new use for the garmin today! I used it on the lake. We didn't get lost and I knew how far and how fast we traveled. I love that thing!

That is an awesome picture! Runner's World worthy :).

Lisa loves Pooh said:
That is an awesome picture! Runner's World worthy :).

No kidding! You look so great! You actually look quite like I imagined you. Hey, where's the boy??

I did my long run today, 8 sloowww miles, about 5.5 mph, I did a modified run 15/walk 1. I felt pretty good. Cold bath after because my hip and legs were pretty sore.

Colleen

Hey all! Haven't posted in a while, b/c of time. Have still been running, biking and such. This week was crazy b/c the production company I am with opened a show. We have been rehearsing ALL WEEK! I am so sore!
Any way...Bree and I were supposed to run 16 yesterday. Did 15.5 b/c of my miscalculations. I had to make it up during the show last night by running up and down the steps. We perform in an outdoor ampatheater (SP?) that seats around 2000, so the steps are LONG AND STEEP! Feeling good today though.
Melissa - GREAT PICTURE!
Christa

WOuld I be able o use my ipod shuffle during the marathon, some music will inspire me just a little more not to get the sweep!!

Thanks Chersheyb ::MickeyMo

chersheyb said:
WOuld I be able o use my ipod shuffle during the marathon, some music will inspire me just a little more not to get the sweep!!

Thanks Chersheyb ::MickeyMo

Headphones are officially not allowed on the course, but last year I saw plenty of people wearing them. There was no checkpoint set up to monitor for MP3 players or radios. I walked with WISH friends and never missed mine.

I did 3 miles this morning. I skipped the 5K at the airport today because my ankle is still giving me trouble. I tried to run on it today, but I had to stop after 1.7 miles and just walk. I still managed to do 3 miles in 44 minutes. I guess I will just focus on walking for a week or two until my ankle is completely healed. Walking does not appear to irritate it, just running.

I started back on Phase I of South Beach yesterday. So far, so good. I would love to lose 15 pounds by Christmas. Guess my days of running for doughnuts are gone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter