Weekly Scooter Rentals

KevinM

Shows Up Every 2 Months Or So
FIL is coming with us to WDW this December. He has a hard time walking around but he insists on going to the parks everyday to see my DD4's reaction to all the magic (I don't blame him).

My question is- are there weekly rates for the electric scooter rentals in WDW - or will he have to rent one every day from each park? I've looked everywhere for this info with no luck.

Thanks in advance!:wave2:

My sister needs one and she rents one by the week from a place outside the park. They deliver and pick up right at the hotel and it is not a problem. It also is a lot cheaper than renting daily at the parks. He will also have it at night to use too.

Sorry, but for the life of me I can't remember the place she rents from. She has done it for the past 2 years.

Check out www.allearsnet.com section for visitors with disabilities. I am sure they will be something there listing scooter rental places.

Oh, I see you are going in December. One tip, if the weather is cool, it zaps more energy from the battery, so when you are dining or watching a parade, ask a CM for an outlet to plug in the scooter to recharge.

I know at Fantasmic at the light poles you can do this while waiting and watching for the show.

The rental fee for the week is about $200 which beats $40+ per day at WDW park.

I'll try to find the rental place you wrote about. One other question - aren't they rather large and bulky to transport to and from the parks? We will be staying at the Dolphin and will be using Disney transportation even though we are renting a car.

I just thought of the name - it is Randy's Mobility. Check the yellow pages - I think they have an 800 number.

We use the Disney buses and it was not a problem. Especially with the newer buses - you just drive straight in. The bus drivers are great with this.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

That is why I love these boards.:teeth:

My son-in-law sprained his leg shortly before our trip this past December, and he rented a scooter from Walker Medical (or is it Walker Mobility?). It's not hard at all to drive a scooter onto the Disney buses, and it sure is nice to have a scooter available to you in the evenings. It would make it so much easier for your father-in-law to get around.

You might want to check out the disABILITY board right here on this site for more info:

http://130.94.75.33/forumdisplay.php?forumid=20

That's where we found out about Walker. Maybe do a search on ECV.

Good luck!

As inky dinky doo mentioned, there's no need to leave the DIS site for this info.
Here's a link to the FAQs for the disABILITIES Board on the DIS Boards. One of entries has everything you would need to know about renting from either the parks or one of the off-site rental places. Another entry is some helpful links for people who are traveling with wheelchairs /ecvs or disabilities.

There's usually a link in my signature for the disABILITIES Board, but signatures are not working right now, so you can follow the link that inky dinky doo provided if you have more questions.

For transportation, have him practice (and become a bit comfortable with) backing up before venturing out the first time. Almost 100% of the buses are equipped with either lifts or ramps to load wheelchairs/ecvs. The older buses have lifts and he will need to back onto the lift. The newer buses have ramps. Most people report the first few times getting on the bus are a little intimidating, but after that it's easy.
For transportation from MGM Studio and Epcot, you can either take the boat or there is a walking path that the ecv can be driven on. It's about a 5-10 min walk to the Studio and 10-15 to Epcot. If you want to take the boat, they are accessible, drive right on with the ecv.

We were just there in Dec. 03 but I don't remember seeing any ecv's on the Monorail.
We plan on walking to Epcot and taking the Monorail to MK instead of the buses everyday for a change of pace.
Can the ecv be taken onto the monorail? Sorry about the repetative questions.:hyper:

Can the ecv be taken onto the monorail?
Yes. There is at least one car on each monorail that is wheelchair/ecv accessible. The CM at the monorail station will direct you to the correct place to wait. They open a second door on the monorail to make the dorway wider and bring a small ramp to drive up.

What did people do before the internet and great boards like this? Many thanks!!!:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter