• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Weigthed Blankets

Nordicpollan

<font color=9933cc>Has some dodgy rellys<br><font
Hi I know this is not the proper place to ask this but I did see a link for these weighted blankets on these posts!

Has anyone tried these blankets?
DS2 likes to have a constant weight on him, as yet I haven't found any of these blankets here in the UK, so would be looking to buy one when we come over next year for our holidays.

Any Info will greatfully received

Thank You

Karen :earsgirl:

I haven't seen the weighted blankets, but I did mention in another post the weighted stuffed animals I made for my children. I took one of their larger stuffed animals and cut the back open. I pulled out most of the stuffing and filled it with rice. You may be able to find beads to put in yours, but rice was cheap and easy. I sewed it up and really that's it.

Nordicpollan said:
Hi I know this is not the proper place to ask this but I did see a link for these weighted blankets on these posts!

DS2 likes to have a constant weight on him, as yet I haven't found any of these blankets here in the UK, so would be looking to buy one when we come over next year for our holidays.

Thank You

I made some:)

Our two boys needed that constant pressure..I bought 2 velux blankets, and 2 flannel flat sheets...you can buy "heavyweight" quilt batting ( I doubled it).

How to make:

Take one sheet - you can use any kind of sheet, our kids just like flannel:) Machine stitch the batting around the outside edges, attaching it to the sheet. (Attach the batt to the "wrong side" of the sheet)

Turn the sheet/batt over, and pin the "right side" of the blanket to the "right side" of the sheet.

Machine stitch, slowly and carefully, around 3 sides , leaving the end open.

Turn everything inside out....VOILA!!:) A weighted blanket.

Handstitch, or insert zipper, snaps, etc, into the open end. If you leave the blanet "inside" accessible, you can add or take out "weight baffles"...which you can make using velcro, material, and rice, or buckwheat.

HTH!!

:sunny:

Another place to look is with companies that specialize in physical therapy. I've loved using the weighted blankets with some of my students. The ones who need it the most are also the ones who LOVE having their blanket on their laps, especially at circle time and similar "sit still" activities.

I really want one for myself because I think it would definitely help with my sensory issues. I would buy one but they look so juvenile or therapy-ish. It sounds easy enough so I'm gonna "make" one! Thanks for the idea!

Thank You for all your replys. :sunny:
I have found that we can get a Southpaw blanket over here in the UK, I don't think I can make one as I am utterly hopeless on the sewing front, buttons and names tags are the start and finish of my sewing skills!!!

Have any of you, used the Southpaw products?

Thanks Again

Karen

Have you ever thought of a crocheted balanket out of heavy weight yarn. Those can be pretty heavy. If you can do one that is heavy enough you wouldn't need to weight it.

Readers here can find more information on weighted blankets, and how they work at the web site below.

DreamCatcher Weighted Blankets
www.weightedblanket.net

or email
mtcustomblankets@aol.com

Nordicpollan said:

Thank You

We purchased our weighted blanket from eBay & have been really happy with it. Many sellers will ship internationally if you check with them before bidding. Good luck! :)

H i Guys

Thank you for all your help :sunny:
Found a weighted blanket here in the UK . It arrived on Friday and DS2 is now getting used to it. He likes it when he has it on him from the chest down with his arms free, I like it when I put his arms under the blanket as it keeps then in a really good position!!
So we are doing half and half. We are not using it overnight yet as he does need to get used to it and also he does get warm under it so I need to keep an eye on him

Thanks again

Karen

Hi Karen

Could you tell me where you got this blanket in the UK please? I'm looking into one for DS2 who is 13 and has ASD. he doesn't sleep well so thought it may help.

Caron

Karen,

I realize that you have found a blanket but for further reference we have purchased from Southpaw and have been very happy.

How heavy are these blankets? We have thought about one for my son but I am wondering about safety. Can a child become trapped under the blanket or are they not that heavy?

Mike

Mike Bartenhagen said:
How heavy are these blankets? We have thought about one for my son but I am wondering about safety. Can a child become trapped under the blanket or are they not that heavy?

Mike
SOmeone else can probably answer better who has used one with a child, but I've seen them used.
The ones I've seen are not that heavy (more like if you have a heavy comforter on your bed during the winter). I saw them mostly used in school, in situations where they werre used for calmin/comforting someone who was in a room with other people. The "heavy comforter" would not be too heavy for the person to remove themselves though.

Also, talking about weighted things. I was at Sam's Club yesterday and saw an item that would be good for weighting. They had large size "Bear Workshop" bears with an outfit (they might be generic, rather than that brand). The bear "skin" is included in the kit and then there is a white muslin stuffed "bear inside". It would be pretty easy to replace some of the stuffing with something heavier and then re-sew the white body. You wouldn't even have to be that neat since the "skin" would cover it.
I found a link to the bear on Sam's Club website
If the link doesn't work, go to www.samsclub.com and search for "bear". The one you are looking for is called "Create a Bear in Storybook Display". I guess they just have girl bears, but the bear with the jeans outfit could be a boy or girl if you just use the pants, striped shirt and cap.

Hi Caron

We found it at www.rompa.com under sensory integration. We chose the larger of the 2 as although Stu is not too big (30kg) he is long and the larger one weights 10lb and this is what Stu likes. Origionally at school we used the rubber ribbed physio mat which worked OK for a short period of time but not really good to use at home. School are so pleased with Stus blanket that they have ordered 2 for school, One in each size. I am pleased we went with the bigger of the 2. as the small one is quite skinny and although Stu is skinny too the bigger one really gives all over deep pressure which helps relax him down. Any more info you want just shout.

Hi Mike
the blanket comes in 2 weights a skinny blanet is 5lb the bigger one is 10lb. Stu can still more a bit under the big one but not enough to get it over his head , hope that is useful

Karen

PS school have had to wash theirs already and have reported back that they had no problems with this at all so good news there!! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter