Welcome Alyssa!

disneyworldsk

DIS Veteran
I enjoyed Alyssa on the DIS podcast this week! Welcome and we hope to listen to you more often. I really liked her voice as an audio listener, and the fact that she was not afraid to speak her opinion even if it was different from others, and that she is often in the parks so is able to participate with real time information!
Separate topic but still on this week's podcast: Theresa, it was called the blue laws and in NJ we still have a county that does have Blue Laws and stores are not open. However, Ryno and Theresa, the reason why blue laws and having one day off for everyone doesn't work is because of our diversity in our country. Where I live, every single person on my street is not from the same background or religion. Literally every family is from another culture, religion or ethnicity. That's what makes it so great here ! Many of us don't celebrate each other's holidays and we understand and respect each other's differences.That's why blue laws died out, also because of economic reasons of course. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season ahead guys!

I know not everyone celebrates Christmas but I do think it sucks for CMs that do. I have worked the holiday seasons in retail but we at least closed shop for the actual day. It’s a con as Disney competes in the employment market.

I currently work in an industry that closes for the standard calendar of holidays. It’s sooo nice to have additional paid days off to plan for.

I thought the point on the show was valid for most CMs. Disney would never do it in a million years, but, if they did decide to close the parks for Christmas Day, I would support it. I know it’s not even a remote possibility though.

However, anytime they become a more attractive employer to their employees or raise morale, I benefit as a guest.

Last edited:
I haven’t listened this week but welcome Alyssa! I can’t wait to watch now (yeah I watch them unless I have a long drive ahead lol)!

I know not everyone celebrates Christmas but I do think it sucks for CMs that do. I have worked the holiday seasons in retail but we at least closed shop for the actual day. It’s a con as Disney competes in the employment market.

I currently work in an industry that closes for the standard calendar of holidays. It’s sooo nice to have additional paid days off to plan for.

I thought the point on the show was valid for most CMs. Disney would never do it in a million years, but, if they did decide to close the parks for Christmas Day, I would support it. I know it’s not even a remote possibility though.

However, anytime they become a more attractive employer to their employees or raise morale, I benefit as a guest.

A lot of people don’t get off on the holidays.

A lot of people don’t get off on the holidays.
This is especially true in the hospitality industry. I worked in it for 25 years, and if the holiday fell on your day off, or you could get someone to cover your shift without overtime, you would be off. Otherwise, you worked. One of my tasks was payroll, so if Christmas fell on a Monday, I had to work or the payroll wouldn’t be processed. Our company had a vacation blackout for the last two weeks of December and for Thanksgiving weekend as well, because those times were so busy. I often preferred getting the extra eight hours of pay for the holiday I had to work instead of having it off (since so many holidays were always on Monday).

We all knew the rules going in, and there were benefits that outweighed the inconvenience.

This is especially true in the hospitality industry. I worked in it for 25 years, and if the holiday fell on your day off, or you could get someone to cover your shift without overtime, you would be off. Otherwise, you worked. One of my tasks was payroll, so if Christmas fell on a Monday, I had to work or the payroll wouldn’t be processed. Our company had a vacation blackout for the last two weeks of December and for Thanksgiving weekend as well, because those times were so busy. I often preferred getting the extra eight hours of pay for the holiday I had to work instead of having it off (since so many holidays were always on Monday).

We all knew the rules going in, and there were benefits that outweighed the inconvenience.

Exactly I’m not sure what exempts cast members I’ve worked so many holidays I can’t even remember

I enjoyed Alyssa on the DIS podcast this week! Welcome and we hope to listen to you more often. I really liked her voice as an audio listener, and the fact that she was not afraid to speak her opinion even if it was different from others, and that she is often in the parks so is able to participate with real time information!
Separate topic but still on this week's podcast: Theresa, it was called the blue laws and in NJ we still have a county that does have Blue Laws and stores are not open. However, Ryno and Theresa, the reason why blue laws and having one day off for everyone doesn't work is because of our diversity in our country. Where I live, every single person on my street is not from the same background or religion. Literally every family is from another culture, religion or ethnicity. That's what makes it so great here ! Many of us don't celebrate each other's holidays and we understand and respect each other's differences.That's why blue laws died out, also because of economic reasons of course. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season ahead guys!
I lived in (and worked for) Bergen County (where Blue Laws still stand) for 30+ years. I lived in Paramus for 5 years, and worked there for most of my career. (Still in NJ, but Ocean County, since '19).

Over the years, a lot of Bergen's 70 municipalities started not adhering to, (or repealing, not sure which, and don't want to misspeaK), but Paramus, NJ, which has 3 malls (one of them, Garden State Plaza, is the state's 2nd largest, and one of the highest-grossing in the US) and 2 major highways lined with retailers, has not, and repeatedly claims (always a platform for local candidates running, and has been voted on by residents many times over the years) they will not let them be struck down,, since they bear the brunt of crowds and traffic in the area. It's also not that far at all from NY State - so New Yorkers shop in NJ on Saturdays (no sales tax on clothes in NJ), and on Sundays, people from Paramus (and other Bergen County communities where stores, or most of them, still adhere to Blue Laws), so to NY to shop. A lot of people from Bergen County also travel the short distance to other counties (like Passaic), still in NJ, where Blue Laws are no longer in effect.

I never voted on Blue Laws when I lived there, because I felt sorry for friends who had to deal with the traffic, but fell that personally, I would have liked them to be shot down, as most of the bus lines didn't run on Sundays (and I didn't drive), so that would have been better for me. But I knew that also I could be asked to regularly come to work, instead of "just" during an emergency, and didn't want that.

I enjoyed Alyssa, and thought she did a great job, and seemed very comfortable, especially being a first-timer, and being a fellow former Joisey girl, and would be curious where in NJ she's originally from, if she comes back to show, and would care to say.

As far as holidays go - when I was in the Navy many years ago, when I worked retail, and if I had the chance when I worked for the County (Union job, which required holiday pay, so a lot of times competition was actually fierce to work, especially the more "minor" holidays), I would volunteer to work any holidays, to give people who were closer to their families (literally, and figuratively) a chance to spend it with them. So over time, I've become much less of a "holiday is a certain day" person, and overall. But I still believe everyone deserves the right to have their holiday(s) off (as another poster mentioned - with so much diversity, there are so many different holidays observed that it's hard sometimes to make room for all, but it's worth a try) to spend how they choose.

Last edited:
I lived in (and worked for) Bergen County (where Blue Laws still stand) for 30+ years. I lived in Paramus for 5 years, and worked there for most of my career. (Still in NJ, but Ocean County, since '19).

Over the years, a lot of Bergen's 70 municipalities started not adhering to, (or repealing, not sure which, and don't want to misspeaK), but Paramus, NJ, which has 3 malls (one of them, Garden State Plaza, is the state's 2nd largest, and one of the highest-grossing in the US) and 2 major highways lined with retailers, has not, and repeatedly claims (always a platform for local candidates running, and has been voted on by residents many times over the years) they will not let them be struck down,, since they bear the brunt of crowds and traffic in the area. It's also not that far at all from NY State - so New Yorkers shop in NJ on Saturdays (no sales tax on clothes in NJ), and on Sundays, people from Paramus (and other Bergen County communities where stores, or most of them, still adhere to Blue Laws), so to NY to shop. A lot of people from Bergen County also travel the short distance to other counties (like Passaic), still in NJ, where Blue Laws are no longer in effect.

I never voted on Blue Laws when I lived there, because I felt sorry for friends who had to deal with the traffic, but fell that personally, I would have liked them to be shot down, as most of the bus lines didn't run on Sundays (and I didn't drive), so that would have been better for me. But I knew that also I could be asked to regularly come to work, instead of "just" during an emergency, and didn't want that.

I enjoyed Alyssa, and thought she did a great job, and seemed very comfortable, especially being a first-timer, and being a fellow former Joisey girl, and would be curious where in NJ she's originally from, if she comes back to show, and would care to say.

As far as holidays go - when I was in the Navy many years ago, when I worked retail, and if I had the chance when I worked for the County (Union job, which required holiday pay, so a lot of times competition was actually fierce to work, especially the more "minor" holidays), I would volunteer to work any holidays, to give people who were closer to their families (literally, and figuratively) a chance to spend it with them. So over time, I've become much less of a "holiday is a certain day" person, and overall. But I still believe everyone deserves the right to have their holiday(s) off (as another poster mentioned - with so much diversity, there are so many different holidays observed that it's hard sometimes to make room for all, but it's worth a try) to spend how they choose.
I agree Jersey friend with everything you said. The origins (my dh is from wyckoff and ridgewood) is of course sunday off because it's a church day
but i strongly agree with you about don't assume people working on those holidays miss home or miss their holiday or don't want to be there just because you did or you had that experience.
many people want those days for many reasons

I am a lifelong resident of Bergen County, 40 years now. Blue laws started off as religious, but now no one wants the traffic and just about every resident wants them to stay. My wife is from Somerset County and didn't understand the Blue laws and wanted them changed, but after living up here for a few years, she agrees that they need to stay. We don't want any traffic on Sunday. Currently I'm in Fair Lawn, so one town over from Paramus. Except for Paramus, you can find many stores open on Sunday, but since Paramus is the busiest shopping Zip Code in the entire US, we love being able to drive around 1 day of the week and being able to get to wherever we want. My favorite is going to BJ's where they sometimes have the clothes section roped off.

This is especially true because as soon as Thanksgiving is over, traffic is almost 24/7.

This all being said, I have only listened to 1 episode so far of this podcast and I'm trying to figure out if I should listen to old recordings since there are so many in the back catalog. Any suggestions?

In my opinion, which I am quite sure will not be very popular in this group, Disney should make a point to stay out of politics and focus on getting their stock price back up. As a side note, thought the Dis team handled the topic well on the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter