We're all out there chasing our better selves (FredtheDuck chases on)

RACE RECAP: Candy Cane City 5k
AKA: The Race in Which My Legs Had It but My Lungs Didn't
November 12, 2017

This was a late add to the fall race calendar when I got a sudden burst of confidence post MCM10k and some good interval training that maybe a sub-30 5k—once completely out of the question, as far as I was concerned—was perhaps within reach. The race itself was a small one that is part of the local running club's "low-key race series," so it was $10 to enter and was a straight out and back on Rock Creek, about 10 minutes from my house. Why not?

We got there about 20 minutes before the race and picked up our bibs. It was COLD. In the low thirties, but it felt much colder. Though there were only a couple of hundred runners, they did a wave start due to some construction about 100m in to the run that narrowed the trail. @MoanasPapa and I lined up kind of in the middle, behind what they termed the "faster runners" but ahead of the walkers. 8:00 struck and we were off! My plan was to race blind again, so I noted the race clock when we crossed the start at 44 seconds, then pulled my glove and sleeve over my watch and got to work.

I knew within a third of a mile that it was not going to be my day. Those of you following since the beginning may remember that I have exercise-induced asthma. The more I've run, the less it has been an issue. I carry my rescue inhaler with me now, but I haven't needed it in months. I use it ahead of races as a preventative measure, which I did on Sunday as usual. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough with the cold, dry air. My lungs flared up almost immediately with the effort, and I could never get them "right." My breathing was not quite gasping, but my chest was tight and I was breathing with much more effort than I should have been. Because of the breathing challenges, I couldn't quite push my body to go any harder than the high-9 pace I was working at.

I wish that I could say that I was feeling strong at the turnaround halfway in, but I wasn't. I knew I was going to miss my goal, and I was really struggling to maintain a pace that I thought was at least faster than my LR pace while fighting my breathing the entire way. About 1/3 of a mile to the end of the race, I checked my watch. It confirmed what I knew - that I was going to miss sub-30. Funny thing about knowing you're going to miss your goal. You start wondering why you're working so hard. A guy that I had been neck and neck with most of the race passed me on a downhill and I knew that I didn't have enough oxygen to pick it up and catch him. I was deflated (pun completely unintended). At this point, I was also feeling nauseous. So, I did something I've never done in a race. I stopped and walked. I gave myself 15 seconds, and told myself that that would be enough to bring my heart rate down and loosen my chest a bit, then I could finish strong. My RIs have been really helpful during my speed training in terms of managing breathing, so I thought inserting one here might help steady the ship. A lady ran by and told me we were almost done, and I knew she was right. I picked up and ran hard to the finish, where @MoanasPapa was waiting for me (He also PRd and had a great race! His official time was 27:53 for an average pace of 8:59, potentially faster if they revise the net time).

The official race results have me finishing in 31:36. But, my gun and chip time are the same. We crossed the start with 44 seconds on the race clock, so I expect that that'll be revised down to 30:52 or so, which is close to what my Strava says (it has almost 3.3 miles in 30:45). We found out after the race that the bibs had shoe chips on the back, not the bib chips the group usually uses... our fault for not realizing, and I'm guessing that may be the culprit for the timing issues. I've written to the club, but totally won't object if they don't revise the results - it really is our fault for not realizing we were using shoe chips.

So, I was close, and the walking didn't cost me my goal - it was already out of reach at that point. Still, it's a new PR for me (my previous PR was 32:04 back in June), which is great. I used my rescue inhaler, then went home and did a spacer treatment. My chest was still tight and inflamed the entire rest of the day - I did another spacer treatment right before bed. It feels about 90% today.

More importantly, my legs weren't super tired at the end of the race. In thinking about what happened, I know that I've always had trouble breathing when running in cold weather. I'm not sure why it didn't occur to me that running at 5k race pace could be a respiratory challenge. I read up on what was going on, and apparently those with exercise-induced asthma have a higher frequency of bronchospasms in cold weather. So. It is what it is. But I DO think that my legs/endurance have what it takes to sub-30. I think that if I had been able to breathe well (meaning, if it didn't hurt to take every breath and if I had been able to get in to a good breathing rhythm), I could have done it. I'm disappointed that I didn't, even with the new PR.

So, this goal goes back to being a 2018 goal. And one that I'll shoot for in weather that is more agreeable to my lungs. I have two more races this year, but I wasn't planning on running hard in either of them, and yesterday confirms that choice. So I'm done "racing" for 2017, and while I finished on a disappointing note, I'm sure that 2018 will bring lots of new challenges, victories, and, like yesterday, lessons learned.

Congrats on the PR - and for doing such a great, consistent job with training.

I do know that feeling - I PRd a recent race, but missed my real goal by under a minute. Disappointing- but something to shoot for next time!

Congrats on the PR - and for doing such a great, consistent job with training.

I do know that feeling - I PRd a recent race, but missed my real goal by under a minute. Disappointing- but something to shoot for next time!

Thanks on both counts! Such a funny feeling to be disappointed in a best-ever race performance, isn't it? But, eye on the prize - we'll both get to our goals, I'm sure!

Bummer on the race, but congrats on the PR. Sounds like you made the best of the event. Good learning lesson moving forward on the type of "A" race you'll be looking for. You did take about 1:15 off a 5K PR (~3.4% improvement) which is outstanding!

Yeah, over a minute improvement on a 5k is a big deal!!!
Congrats on getting that shiny new PR. It sounds like you have everything going for you to get that sub-30 in race with temps a little more forgiven.
And congrats @MoanasPapa too!!!!!!

Congratulations to you and @MoanasPapa on your PRs! It's a shame you missed your A goal, but you're very close and still improving, so you're definitely going to hit it in 2018! More importantly, you showed a lot of mental strength despite your breathing difficulties, and you learned more about what sort of temps you do best in. More PRs are certainly in your future.

Congrats to you and @MoanasPapa on shiny new PRs! Sometimes things just don't work out quite like we plan and you were really pushing for an exciting goal and you were pretty darn close. I'd say with fighting your asthma that's a lot to be proud about. I know you still have that sub-30 in you, just need all the factors to line up and you'll kill it.

Bummer on the race, but congrats on the PR. Sounds like you made the best of the event. Good learning lesson moving forward on the type of "A" race you'll be looking for. You did take about 1:15 off a 5K PR (~3.4% improvement) which is outstanding!

Thanks! I wasn't thinking of it in terms of % improvements, so thanks for sharing that tidbit! (also, that 3.4% wouldn't have been possible without your coaching, so extra thanks!)

I will say that I am a little irritated about the whole asthma thing--I kind of figured that I had it managed since I haven't had to use my rescue inhaler in months (except as a precaution before races). It isn't a big deal to have to be more selective about A races, I know, but I can't help being annoyed by the limitation.

Yeah, over a minute improvement on a 5k is a big deal!!!
Congrats on getting that shiny new PR. It sounds like you have everything going for you to get that sub-30 in race with temps a little more forgiven.
And congrats @MoanasPapa too!!!!!!

Thanks! A minute is definitely nothing to scoff at. Good to step back and have context, too, because I ran a race in April with a 34:28 time. So the progression is certainly there.

It's a shame you missed your A goal, but you're very close and still improving, so you're definitely going to hit it in 2018! More importantly, you showed a lot of mental strength despite your breathing difficulties, and you learned more about what sort of temps you do best in. More PRs are certainly in your future.

Thanks for the 2018 vote of confidence! And I appreciate your note about the mental strength, too. There were thoughts of DNF, and thoughts of shifting down to training speed. In the end, yeah, I walked for a few seconds, but I needed it, and it enabled me to finish strong and have something to show for it with a new PR.

I'd say with fighting your asthma that's a lot to be proud about. I know you still have that sub-30 in you, just need all the factors to line up and you'll kill it.

Thanks! Looking forward to that day!

I wouldn't even worry about the walking either. I've certainly taken walking breaks during races, and I usually walk a lot of the water stations so I don't end up wearing more sports drink than I actually swallow! It's all about the forward progress.

Congratulations to you and @MoanasPapa on your PRs!!! Great work pushing through!!! 2018, and the goal crushing that will come with it, is just around the corner. :)

Congratulations on the PRs! It was crazy cold this weekend so I predict when you get better weather you will crush that sub 30.

Candy Cane City 5k results were revised. @MoanasPapa's official time is now 27:03 (8:43/mi) and mine is 30:46 (9:54/mi). It's the first time I've had a result sub 10:00/mi, so I'm really, really proud of that. @DopeyBadger, I forgot to tell you: @MoanasPapa said the race was really challenging for him, and when he saw the results, he was worried that you were going to change his paces again! Thought it was funny that that was one of his first reactions.

I wouldn't even worry about the walking either. I've certainly taken walking breaks during races, and I usually walk a lot of the water stations so I don't end up wearing more sports drink than I actually swallow! It's all about the forward progress.

Thanks! I'm actually glad that I did stop and walk. My legs didn't need it, but my stomach and my breathing did. I felt like I was either going to stop and walk for a bit or have to slow way down for the rest of the race, so walking seemed like the better choice. I suspect it's a tool I'll employ again if the going gets tough in a race, I felt MUCH better after, and picked back up at a better speed.

Congratulations to you and @MoanasPapa on your PRs!!! Great work pushing through!!! 2018, and the goal crushing that will come with it, is just around the corner. :)

Thank you! And also, eek! The second half of this year seems to have flown by.

Congratulations on the PRs! It was crazy cold this weekend so I predict when you get better weather you will crush that sub 30.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Supposed to be really cold this weekend and next week, too! Apparently it may rain for Run Under the Lights (my Saturday PM 5k), so I'm wondering what the race organizers will do.

and when he saw the results, he was worried that you were going to change his paces again! Thought it was funny that that was one of his first reactions.

Haha, yeah the downside to crushing things!
Although I tell myself that the easy will still feel easy and the hard still hard if you pay attention to effort over the #. It's just that the easier & hard gets faster over time, etc.
But yeah, totally have thought that same thing too :)

Monday Training Update (Week 8): Week Ending 11/19

This was the plan for the week:

T - 4 miles @ EA + Strides
Th - 1 mile @ WU, 5x800 @ 10k w/ 30 sec RI @ WU, 1 mile @ CD
F - 4.5 miles @ EB
Sa - Run Under the Lights 5k!

The main event of the week was that our daughter turned two on Friday! No big party, but we took her to her favorite PEEZ-UP (pizza) place on Friday night, then opened presents and had cupcakes at home. Her Aunt (@MoanasPapa's sister) is one of her favorite people, and she was able to come join us for both peez-up and presents, so that made her extra happy that day. It was perfect.

Not a ton to report on the running front this week, except that I blatantly messed up my speed workout and did 5x400 instead of 5x800, and only realized it just now as I drafted this post. Whoops. I did that run on the treadmill, though, so it definitely felt harder than if I had done it outside. I really enjoyed my Friday morning run. They finished the milling and paving that was happening on the main thoroughfare by my house, so I was able to venture out of my neighborhood and run through a pretty area nearby, and it was a nice change of pace.

Since I ran the Run Under the Lights 5k as a fun run instead of a legit "race," I'll just recap it here instead of giving it a separate post. The headline: It was my favorite race of 2017. The race is held in a local state park. It's limited to 900 runners and typically sells out within a day or two (this year: within 6 hours). The park is all decked out for the holidays with all kinds of lights and scenes - bears, penguins, the north pole, gingerbread men, etc. I guess people usually pay to drive through it ( :confused3 - must be an east coast thing) but they shut it to traffic every year for this race. I was really nervous going in to the weekend because early in the week, the forecast for Saturday night was cold and rainy, and I really wanted to bring our daughter along. Luckily, the weather was PERFECT for the event - no rain, slight breeze, warmer than expected.

The race started at 6:15PM. We lined up kind of near the front of the "strollers and walkers" wave (the race organizers did a nice job directing people to the right spots). Our plan was to run, but I REALLY wanted to take it easy because @MoanasPapa is sick (I didn't even want him to come, but he insisted), and because I wanted to give our daughter time to take it all in. I figured I'd find a nice, slow, easy pace, somewhere around my EA pace, and we'd just enjoy (I later found out that our nice, easy pace was actually 12:26/mi, which is a hair slower than my EB pace, and I was the one pushing the stroller... guess that speaks to how much I've improved this year). Our daughter was all snuggled up in the Bob with a jacket, a blanket, and I had put the weather shield over the stroller as an additional level of protection against wind, cold, and still-threatening rain, so she was nice and warm. She LOVED the race. There were people in costume and lots of lights and fun things to look at (she was especially excited by the reindeer displays). She chattered and sang almost the entire time. I normally groan at out-and-backs, but there was so much to see from both sides of the road that I was actually pretty glad to get a second look at each scene. Around mile 2.75, our kiddo started to get kind of whiny, though. Turns out, it was pretty toasty in that stroller, so she was hot. Anyways, we finished and then headed to the finisher tent. There was hot chocolate, chili, and party mix - quite a spread for a 5k! Apparently our kiddo went up to the party mix table and tried to "trick or treat," which someone thought was adorable enough to hand her a dixie cup half full of M&Ms. Made for an interesting bedtime 40 minutes later, but very cute. We got our hot chocolate, snapped a family pic (see below), and headed for the car. After we finally got kiddo down, @MoanasPapa and I headed to dinner at a local brewery (my dad lives with us and was watching the kiddo), so I got my post-race beer... in case anyone was worried.

upload_2017-11-20_8-34-39.png

I'd 100% do the run again, and I'd do it just that way—nice and easy, taking it all in, enjoying being together. There were a lot of kids running/walking with their parents... I hope someday that can be us!

So that's it for last week. I have the Turkey Trot 10k on Thursday morning. I'm still not technically signed up for it. I'm hemming and hawing because of the weather (supposed to be sub-freezing that morning). Our treadmill arrived on Saturday afternoon and it seems so much more inviting. Plus @MoanasPapa isn't planning to run. But I'll probably suck it up and sign up today. Like most things with running, I'll be glad I did it when it's over.

@MoanasPapa is proposing an interesting Turkey Trot compromise: I race (like, actually race, if my lungs are up to it) the 2-miler they're offering that day. Then I can get more miles in on the treadmill either later that day or the next day (which is scheduled off now). The weather is supposed to be warmer the next day, so I could potentially do an easy run outside with our daughter, too, since I'm off and her daycare is closed. He says if I do the 2-miler, he and kiddo would come spectate (he thinks it'd be too cold to spectate a 10k that I'm running at LR pace). I've never had anyone cheering for me personally at a race - so that sounds special. But the "runner" in me would feel a little guilty for taking the easy way out. What to do, what to do.

That Christmas race sounds awesome! And nice that the weather cooperated. Happy birthday to your daughter...I want a PEEZ-UP party too!!!!

@MoanasPapa But the "runner" in me would feel a little guilty for taking the easy way out. What to do, what to do.

If you are racing 2 miles...like you know it ends in only 2 miles...trust me that you will likley push yourself harder than you would during even a 5k, especially harder than a 10k. So by pushing harder (even for a shorter period)...I'm not sure you can say you took an easy way out. Tell yourself that you are taking the hard way out!!! Also will this be an automatic PR or have you done a 2 mile race yet?

Also will this be an automatic PR or have you done a 2 mile race yet?
I love the way @roxymama thinks. :D

Happy bday to your daughter! Great family pic, and that 5k sounded lovely!!! Have done 5k turkey trots before (which are always fun!) but never a Christmas themed run, so I'm adding that to the ever-growing list.

Have been following your journey from the beginning,congrats on everything you've accomplished. I say go for the 2 miles with the personal cheering crowd. My kids are older so we usually run as a family but for my first half I ran solo and finding my family on the corner cheering me on is a memory I will never forget. Nothing beats the feeling of see those you love so excitedly cheering you on and it certainly gives you the drive to go faster.

Also love the family photo. Too cute!!

That Christmas race sounds awesome! And nice that the weather cooperated. Happy birthday to your daughter...I want a PEEZ-UP party too!!!!

The race was really so fun. I'm one of those people that really tries to hold off on starting Christmas things until after Thanksgiving, but I was totally listening to Christmas music in the car after the race - you couldn't help but get in the spirit! And thanks for the well-wishes for kiddo... who DOESN'T want a PEEZ-UP party? They're the best! It helps that her favorite place is also my favorite place.

Tell yourself that you are taking the hard way out!!! Also will this be an automatic PR or have you done a 2 mile race yet?

In thinking about this, it is going to be COLD (at least by this Californian's standards), and I'm still smarting a little bit about how my body reacted to the cold during Candy Cane City. I'd like to see how a couple of minor adjustments (rigorous warm up, face covering to preserve some warmth/moisture) impact my ability. Two miles seems like juuuuuust the right distance to test how that works... right? And yeah, I've never done a two miler (that's a weird race distance, right? Like why not just have a 5k and a 10k? I'd do the 5k in a heartbeat), so definitely an automatic PR.

I love the way @roxymama thinks. :D

Hahaha me too! : )

Happy bday to your daughter! Great family pic, and that 5k sounded lovely!!! Have done 5k turkey trots before (which are always fun!) but never a Christmas themed run, so I'm adding that to the ever-growing list.

Thanks for the birthday wishes for my girl! She's getting so big so fast! I loved that picture, it was really nice of the lady who took it to stop and say "Hey, mom gets in the picture sometimes too!" You should totally see if you can find something like this run up in your neck of the woods, it was so fun. Otherwise... you know... you're not THAT far away from Maryland (although maybe too far to justify a trip for a 5k)...

Have been following your journey from the beginning,congrats on everything you've accomplished.

Thanks for following along, and for the kind words!

Nothing beats the feeling of see those you love so excitedly cheering you on and it certainly gives you the drive to go faster.

I bet during a half that was an awesome feeling! I think you've sealed the deal for me - when I'm done with this post I'll stop dragging my feet and will go sign up.

Also love the family photo. Too cute!!

Oh thank you! It was really fun to have her along for the ride, I was so glad they allowed jogging strollers!

Alright, I'm registered for the two-miler on Thursday, and @MoanasPapa offered to pick up my packet and shirt tomorrow, which is great.

In other news, can I just gush over my treadmill for a second? If you saw in the running thread, it was a big purchase for us, and one we did a lot of researching and thinking about. Well, when I was getting my stuff ready last night for this morning's run (I lay out my clothes/shoes/water bottle the night before to minimize how much noise I make), I realized I didn't have any clean tights/capris, and I wasn't about to run in the 30s in shorts (I'm a wimp). But wait! I have a treadmill! I can run in shorts on that!

So up I got at 5:00, started the coffee pot, then headed downstairs. I decided it might be kind of cool to do the run in the dark (there's a nightlight down there), and that ended up being an awesome call because I watched the news on my ipad and just kind of tuned in to that since there was nothing else to look at because it was dark. Maybe that's weird, but it ended up being a really good technique to keep me focused.

I mentioned in a recent post that my dad lives with us. Our basement is a walkout, so it doesn't feel like a basement, it feels like a main level but with no windows on one side (except that the floor is cruddy old linoleum tile). He has kind of a quasi-apartment down there, and his bedroom is about 20 feet from where the treadmill is. I was really worried that the noise from the machine or me clomping up and down on it early in the morning would be disruptive to him, but he slept right through it and tells me he didn't hear a thing. @MoanasPapa couldn't hear the clomping from upstairs, either, so he also slept through it (as did our kid). It was a really comfortable run, too, the deck on that treadmill is perfect for me.

So long story short, treadmill running in the dark while watching the news in my basement was a win for all - I got my four miles in and am not currently suffering from cold butt, and my family all got to keep sleeping and was none the wiser.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!