We're getting close to Zero Hour and I need your help.... DisDads assemble!!

rwalker1304

Are we there yet? Calgary, Alberta.
Dads,

We leave for Orlando on the 20th of September and will be there until the 28th. Spending 5 days at the parks. Not hopping. 2 days at MK and then 1 day each at the remaining parks.

We are also doing one day at Universal to see all the Harry Potter stuff (my 10 yo DD is a HP devotee - and we like it too) and we have 1 day 2 park tickets.

Travelling crew: Me (42) DW (43 - cradle robber), DD10, DD7. All of us really enjoy rides. DD7 is 46.5" tall with her shoes on, so we are hitting all the great rides as a whole family - with the exception of RnR and Primeval Whirl (though she rode this one at the Calgary Stampede - exact same lay out).

Supporting crew: Grandparents (our in-laws) on my wife's side, and good friends and their daughter ~5.

Current FP+ Status:

AK: Na'vi River, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari (couldn't get Flight of Passage)
MK: Splash, Space, Peter Pan (Couldn't get 7DMT), second day window opens tomorrow at 7am
DHS: TSM, Star Tours, Muppet Vision (couldn't get SDD)

Accommodations: Off property for the bulk of the time at the Bluegreen Fountains. Staying one night at CBR to take advantage of the Extra Extra Magic Hours for our one day at DHS (Galaxy's Edge here we come!)

Last time in WDW: 2014

My asks to all of you DisDads assembled here....

• What should we NOT MISS?
  • What cool neat inside secrets can you pass along for those extra magic moments? DD10 loves hidden mickeys, secret interactive things (Sorcerers of the MK) and so I am hoping we can tap in to those types of magic moments. Galaxy's Edge should have a lot of those.
  • Which interactive ride queues are great?
  • Any great restaurants we should make sure we try - even without Priority Seating?
  • Any great drinks we should not miss trying? DW and I do enjoy a cocktail or two and/or a nice glass of wine. I also like the Craft Beer and whisky (Scotch, Bourbon, etc.)
  • Any tips on cool things to see at CBR?
  • Any ways to incorporate science, history, or other learning at WDW (kids will be out of school for 4 total days).
  • Any tips for Universal? I have not been there since 1992. I am at a huge experience disadvantage.
Thanks in advance Dads!

I would say that flight of passage line looked like it would have been more fun to wait in line for. We couldn't really do that because of ride swap and fast passes.

I have not been to Universal since early 2000's but my wife and I are planning to go to wizarding world as soon as the kids are old enough. I would suggest going to Olivanders and let your daughter get a wand.

I hope y'all have a great time!

Thanks! We are probably getting at least 2 wands.... (I AM DOOMED - or maybe my wallet is).

What should we NOT MISS?
I already touched on this. Except for your ~5 companion, I think you can do any rides.

What cool neat inside secrets can you pass along for those extra magic moments? DD10 loves hidden mickeys, secret interactive things (Sorcerers of the MK) and so I am hoping we can tap in to those types of magic moments. Galaxy's Edge should have a lot of those.
SOTMK is fun, but can be a time consumer. PM me if you want pointers. There are a lot of ways to make it easier. A great place for hidden Mickeys...Living with the Land at EPCOT. Also, Animal Kingdom lodge and wilderness lodge. There are others, but these are where I personally know higher concentrations are.

Which interactive ride queues are great?
Pooh (no, not poo). 7 dwarves mine train. Frozen ever after. Flight of passage. Expedition Everest. Tower of Terror. Toy Story Movie Mania. Slinky Dog Dash. Those are the ones I can think of, there may be others.

Any great restaurants we should make sure we try - even without Priority Seating?
Tiffins. Bier Garten. Shula's (technically not Disney, but sorta...at the Swan). I've heard good things about Be our Guest, but haven't been there.

Any great drinks we should not miss trying? DW and I do enjoy a cocktail or two and/or a nice glass of wine. I also like the Craft Beer and whisky (Scotch, Bourbon, etc.)
Don't drink much, so can't help ya here.

Any tips on cool things to see at CBR?
Never stayed there...sorry.

Any ways to incorporate science, history, or other learning at WDW (kids will be out of school for 4 total days).
https://chipandco.com/top-10-educational-experiences-disney-world-212290/
Any tips for Universal? I have not been there since 1992. I am at a huge experience disadvantage.
I think I might have been more recently than 1992, but I've only been once and a LOT has changed. HP didn't exist then.

What should we NOT MISS?
Really the ones you couldn’t get your FP for are ones that shouldn’t be missed. Try rope drop for those if you can. I am also a fan of Big Thunder Mountain. Do you like shows? Festival of the Lion King is good.

What cool neat inside secrets can you pass along for those extra magic moments? DD10 loves hidden mickeys, secret interactive things (Sorcerers of the MK) and so I am hoping we can tap in to those types of magic moments. Galaxy's Edge should have a lot of those.
You can be a Disney historian at One Mans Dream in DHS. You answer trivia and get a certificate. It’s not that exciting but not many people know about it.
There’s also Agent Ps at Epcot. I’ve never done it but there’s lots of hidden surprises.

Which interactive ride queues are great?
In addition to Docs list, Peter Pan is good.

Any great restaurants we should make sure we try - even without Priority Seating?
If you like Italian, my family always tries to get Via Napoli or Tutto Italia in Epcot.
Homecomin in Disney Springs was good for southern comfort food and has some different cocktails.

Any great drinks we should not miss trying? DW and I do enjoy a cocktail or two and/or a nice glass of wine. I also like the Craft Beer and whisky (Scotch, Bourbon, etc.)
I don’t drink much in WDW because $$$ but I enjoyed the Grey Goose citron slush in France at Epcot.
The mandarin lemonade with vodka at Flame Tree Bbq was really good too. For a quick service I thought the food was great there.

Any tips on cool things to see at CBR?
It’s been 9 years since I stayed there but there wasn’t much “cool” to see. The pool is decent and has an enclosed water slide.

Any tips for Universal? I have not been there since 1992. I am at a huge experience disadvantage.
I haven’t been since 2014, but get there early and go to Harry Potter first. Do you have 2-park tickets so you can do the Hogwarts Express? Once Harry Potter is out of the way, just do what interests you. Frankly, other than the Spider-Man ride there wasn’t much that impressed me. My daughter liked Seuss Landing though.

Thanks! We are probably getting at least 2 wands.... (I AM DOOMED - or maybe my wallet is).
haha... When we finally get to go I'm sure that we will be spending the money on a few as well. My wife is a Harry Potter fan and my daughters are also heading that way it seems. But we are planning on going back to Disney this next summer and I will probably be getting a light saber.

Really the ones you couldn’t get your FP for are ones that shouldn’t be missed. Try rope drop for those if you can. I am also a fan of Big Thunder Mountain. Do you like shows? Festival of the Lion King is good.

Since my original post we secured our second day at MK FPs: Big Thunder, another round on Space Mountain, and Buzz. And we got our Epcot FPs: Frozen, Mission Space, and Spaceship Earth.

We are planning to Rope Drop at AK (though we are competing with an EMH from 7-8am, and at MK (again there's EMH for 1 hour before), so who knows how that will play out. Fingers crossed for FOP and 7DMT. Also, hoping the September crowds are lower....

You can be a Disney historian at One Mans Dream in DHS. You answer trivia and get a certificate. It’s not that exciting but not many people know about it.
There’s also Agent Ps at Epcot. I’ve never done it but there’s lots of hidden surprises.

The Historian thing sounds neat. Agent Ps should be fun for the kids. We will try to check out both.

I haven’t been since 2014, but get there early and go to Harry Potter first. Do you have 2-park tickets so you can do the Hogwarts Express? Once Harry Potter is out of the way, just do what interests you. Frankly, other than the Spider-Man ride there wasn’t much that impressed me. My daughter liked Seuss Landing though.

We do have 2-park passes so we will be doing all that we can to ride the Hogwarts Express in both directions and likely Rope Drop at IOA to get on the new Hagrid ride.

Thanks for your reply!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!