Westjet World Elite Mastercard

I also have the Westjet Elite Card and have learned a couple of things

• Your annual companion fare is issued to you on the anniversary date of your card. The companion fare gets issued to you after your annual fee has been charged to your card. There can be up to a 4 week wait for the companion fare to show up in your account as RBC has to issue a clearance to Westjet. This was a bit of a surprise to me as I thought it would be every calendar year.
  • You can use your companion fare on Plus fares and it stays the same rate ($99 plus airport taxes, or $199+, or $299+ depending on where you are flying). This is a nice benefit if you choose to fly Plus fares.
  • You can now book online using your Westjet dollars and companion fare, did it last weekend for our Aug 2018 trip. Also where I learned about the other two points. We do the same things as others have mentioned, two separate accounts to take advantage of the companion fare piece. Makes the cost of the trips for a family of four about 50%.

You can use your companion fare on Plus fares and it stays the same rate ($99 plus airport taxes, or $199+, or $299+ depending on where you are flying). This is a nice benefit if you choose to fly Plus fares.
That's a pretty nice perk. Don't think that we will fly Plus fare with the kids but it's a good thing to keep in mind if we travel without them. Or if we travel with my parents.

It's my first disboards post from a lurker!!

We just got WJ cards for the sole purpose of booking WDW flights. DH and I both got one, so annual fee combined will be $240. However, the last time I checked our flights, they were 339 base fare each, so using one companion fare each is already puts us $240 ahead... plus, we can each use our $250 signing bonus towards the flight costs, so there's another $500 savings. And that's before we count the free checked bag for 4 people each way.

I will say it's not as quick a process as I had hoped. I applied online for the card and was accepted on 10/31. I received my card in the mail on 11/6, and used it for the first time yesterday, 11/7. RBC teller confirmed that bonus should be in my WJ rewards account within 1-2 days, BUT the T&C says they do have up to 4-6 weeks to appear.

So, YMMV on how quickly they arrive. I'm trying to book for April so anxiously checking each day to see when the bonus/companion vouchers show up. For us, we will likely cancel the card after this year or the next since we don't fly a huge amount.

Update for @chris1212 and whoever else is curious... our bonus WJ dollars and companion voucher showed up today on 11/30. Not so coincidentally, we also received our first WJ RBC statement yesterday elextronically. Given that we applied on 10/31 I'd say the 4 week estimate is pretty accurate... and I'd also say it's tied to the date of your first statement on the CC.

It does make a huge difference on the cost of the flights we are booking for April... from 2000 taxes in for 4 people to 1100 taxes in for 4 people...that excludes the 240 fee for 2 cards, because that covers our baggage fees and works out equally. You CAN book online when signed into your WJ rewards account (I just did a dummy booking)... and the voucher WILL show up automatically and not via mail (as I was advised by RBC). Hope this helps!

We've been really happy with our Westjet Rewards card.... Generally speaking we travel once per year and between the companion fare and the Westjet dollars we usually save about $1000 to $1200+ per year on flights (after taking out the fee for our primary and secondary cards.) If you use the companion fare every year with the Westjet dollars it's definitely been worth it for us. The fact that you get additional special offers thoughout the year (prior to other sales) makes it that much better.

Not really a dollars perk but if you link your card to your Petro-points card you get $0.03/L off, on top of whatever discount you might already get at petro-Canada (like the $0.10/L card).

This may sound silly but this is the only "World Elite" MasterCard that is not black in Canada. Black card scheme, initially started by Amex Centurion cards, indicates a higher level above Gold and Platinum card. RBC WJ card is white blue sky, just like a regular card.

Also, it does not give airport lounge membership like BMO World Elite cards or concierge service for special request. It seems to be missing a few things to be considered a top-tier credit card.

This may sound silly but this is the only "World Elite" MasterCard that is not black in Canada. Black card scheme, initially started by Amex Centurion cards, indicates a higher level above Gold and Platinum card. RBC WJ card is white blue sky, just like a regular card.

Also, it does not give airport lounge membership like BMO World Elite cards or concierge service for special request. It seems to be missing a few things to be considered a top-tier credit card.

I can see that. I think I am ok though with losing the lounge membership and concierge service to gain the flight benefits.

I hate that the card dings you a 29$ fee if you are over your limit. Um I'd rather it be refused than have to track my spending on the card to the dime...

I hate that the card dings you a 29$ fee if you are over your limit. Um I'd rather it be refused than have to track my spending on the card to the dime...

They gave us a crazy limit for our cards... I think one is 15K and one is 8K... we have bigger problems than a $29 fee if we get to that limit on vacation, LOL.

Anyone churn this card with any luck.

I applied about 3 years ago and then cancelled it about a year ago. Thinking it might be good for March 2019 so was going to apply again just wondering if I will get the $250 signing bonus.

As of November 1st it does give access to lounges. It's also going to be black.

Anyone churn this card with any luck.

I applied about 3 years ago and then cancelled it about a year ago. Thinking it might be good for March 2019 so was going to apply again just wondering if I will get the $250 signing bonus.
Just received our approval letter. So sucessful after cancelling 1 year ago

I replaced my card not long after this post was written. It is now a black card :)

If you are making a round trip flight, is the companion fare $99 each way, or $99 in total? Trying to decide if it is worth it for me to get this card as we don't always fly WJ because they only have one direct flight to MCO each week, and no direct flights in the summer months. I already have 2 other credit cards that have an annual fee.

I thought about applying for the card but decided against it at this time.

I have a one way trip with my mom from LAX to YVR and the cost was $230 for both of us direct flight. I figured by the time I apply and hopefully get approved make a charge and wait for the companion ticket to be in the account the price could have increased a fair amount. Also wouldn't save any money on this trip even if prices stayed the same.

If you are making a round trip flight, is the companion fare $99 each way, or $99 in total? Trying to decide if it is worth it for me to get this card as we don't always fly WJ because they only have one direct flight to MCO each week, and no direct flights in the summer months. I already have 2 other credit cards that have an annual fee.
It is round trip, but don't forget its plus taxes.

So you pay $27 per person to enter. Are the food and drinks than included in that or do you have to pay for them?

I've had this card for a couple years now. Are the people that have the old plain card going to the bank and asking for a new black one?

My husband and I both applied online today and we’re approved, so looking forward to receiving those soon to start racking up points. We’ve got a family of 6, so 2 cards and 2 companion fares will come in handy. Does the flight for the companion rate have to be used within the year, or just booked by then? We’re going to DL sometime January 2019 but can’t book the vacation yet so arent 100% sure of the date and if it’ll fall after the application date and be with our 2nd set of buddy passes or our 1st set. Also, any tips for using your card to maximize points earned?

Last edited:
My husband and I both applied online today and we’re approved, so looking forward to receiving those soon to start racking up points. We’ve got a family of 6, so 2 cards and 2 companion fares will come in handy. Does the flight for the companion rate have to be used within the year, or just booked by then? We’re going to DL sometime January 2019 but can’t book the vacation yet so arent 100% sure of the date and if it’ll fall after the application date and be with our 2nd set of buddy passes or our 1st set. Also, any tips for using your card to maximize points earned?

I think the companion flight has to be used during the 365 day window. It goes by your card anniversary date not the calendar year.

I use my card to pay for everything. Gas, groceries, eating out, movies, bills, everything I can. As long as you pay it off every month it costs you nothing to rack up the points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts