What about the children???

iankh

It's never done till it's overdone
OK, I need some creative suggestions and advice, what do we do with our dogs (the kids) when we go away? It is beginning to appear that one of the most expensive aspect of our jaunts down to WDW is boarding the dogs.

We have 3 of them, Jane Austin, the dowager at 15 years old, Tallulah Bankhead and Truman Capote (each 2 years old) what do you guys do with your dogs when you go away?

Truman Capote and Tallulah Bankhead
DSC00422.jpg

DSC004422.jpg

My cousin and his partner have the various aunts, uncles and godparents babysit. They usually bribe them with Disney goodies and doggie love. That usually does it.

If they aren't available, then it is the "spa" and the extra dough. This is something that I am thinking about with my baby and not being able to bring him when we leave in a few weeks so it is housesitters for me.

Friends, relitives, neighbors?

I am currently cat sitting for a friend, she in turn sits for us when we are gone. I admit cats are easier than dogs though, just throw some food in a bowl!

Wish I could help, your dogs are cute as heck! Make sure to check out the pet gifts Disney sells! (I know they have them at EPCOT at the gift shop right next to the dancing foutains, and at the Marketplace behind near the Earl of Sandwich, and at the MK in the Firehouse)

I do have a great place to board them. They usually stay with their groomer Claire who owns the Dog Scene. They stay at the shop with her during the day and she takes them home at night.

I mean they don't even need to be walked, their doggie litter box trained (doggie litter boxes with medical pads as tray liners).

I just wish I could find a thriftier alternative.

Do any of your neighbors have teenage kids who want to earn a little cash?
If they are trained, they could stay at your own place, and the neighbors kids could just check up on them.

We're lucky; another gay guy we used to work with and his partner have 4 cats, so they sit for our 2 cats when we go on vacation and we watch theirs when they go. Works out great!!

We have 2 large kids that we can't seem to pawn off on anyone ;) so we have to go the boarding route. Which does cost a small fortune if you're gone for any length of time. We like to have them stay in someone's home, and not in a kennel where there isn't anyone there in the evenings or overnight, so it's pretty hard to find somewhere. Here are Kylie and Senna, the evil children!

100_0060.jpg

PennyW said:
We have 2 large kids that we can't seem to pawn off on anyone ;) so we have to go the boarding route. Which does cost a small fortune if you're gone for any length of time. We like to have them stay in someone's home, and not in a kennel where there isn't anyone there in the evenings or overnight, so it's pretty hard to find somewhere. Here are Kylie and Senna, the evil children!

My partner and I long ago decided to not base our vacation plans on boarding the dogs. We're lucky that we have a good source for boarding, but I really think with 3 dogs it's starting to be the most expensive aspect of our vacation. I shudder to think of the costs when we're away for 12 days in December!

So, you have evil kids? Let's hope that Kylie and Senna never team up with Truman and Tallulah! Especially Tallulah, she's the ring leader in our house.

If they like Dog Scene, bit the bullet, save up and take them there. If it helps remember you're paying for them to be happy. You've got a while until the big trip. Ask among your friends. Someone has a good dog-sitter that they're keeping to themselves ; )

Finding someone you trust with your animals and your home is priceless. I've had the same cat sitter for years. I hope she never quits.

A source I'd check is a community college veterinary tech program. They already love animals and can use the money. Don't be shy. Have them interact with your pets and don't hire them if it doesn't feel right. Use a weekend getaway as a test drive. Good luck.

My mother takes care of our dogs when we're away, but on one occasion I hired a pet sitter when one of my elderly dogs was invalid and needed more help than my mother was able to give. He had to be helped outside, given medication and sometimes cleaned. I thought we'd have to cancel our trip, but I inquired at the local vet's and they gave me the name of a woman who would do this for us. She told me she had five clients that week who were in the same predicament as us, and she reassured me it would be fine, so that we could enjoy our vacation. Pet sitters often leave their cards at veterinarian's offices and pet supply stores, you could try that. If I recall she charged $20/day for two visits per day, and she also let out my other dog and played with her. Good luck. :paw:

We have 2 dogs (Belle and Nala) and 2 cats (Lilo and Milo). Fortunately, David's sister will come over and stay out our house and take care of the kids while we are away. We also have a neighbor that serves as a backup in case something happens. He has 2 cats that I will take care of when he's out of town, but it would be a bit much to ask him to watch after our cats and dogs. I prefer to have someone stay with them and not leave them locked up for long periods of time - they are only semi-housebroken.

I have considered the boarding thing, but I can just remember how the girls looked locked up in those cages, they were pitiful. I'd definately try and find some other alternative first, but leaving the keys to the house and the lives of my babies in someone elses hands..... it's tough.

Here's Belle:
BelleStump.jpg

Nala:
nala.jpg

Lilo (left) & Milo (right) - back when they were still innocent
lilomilo.jpg

iankh said:
Let's hope that Kylie and Senna never team up with Truman and Tallulah! Especially Tallulah, she's the ring leader in our house.
Your kids look so sweet! I bet they could never be evil ;) RIGHT!! I think all pet owners know better. Ours are spoiled rotten, so much so that we almost resist going on vacation and leaving them! But we're going to Alaska in September and will be gone 10 days, so I've got to get a plan in action.

Belle and Nala are great looking dogs! The kitties are cute too (but I think we all know how cats fool us with the innocent act) ;)

I don't have any better options for you... but I feel your frustration. Our kids are two (rather large) tibetan mastiffs. Which in itself can be a bit of a dilemma. But my older one has thyroid problems and is epileptic, is on 2 pills twice a day and will seizure as a result of things he considers "stressful". So I've always had to have my parents stay since he is very comfortable with them. Unfortunately, this really limits our vacation options. The last time we went away, we had my grandparents (who are not exactly strangers) stay with the kids and sure enough, I check in with my grandparents once we land in Florida and find out that Mr Sensitive had a seizure that morning. So now I'm pretty limited to having my parents watch him. But - they are my kids - so what are you going to do? :confused3

We have 3 cats from the same litter (long story), we boarded them with our vet. It cost about $40 per day for all three :( But, they were well taken care of and had gained weight while we were gone. We did call to check on them, and they said they let them out of their cages to play in an enclosed area and they were having a good time...in fact, I think they liked being boarded at the vet.

Vacubaguy - I think all of your kids are so cute. Love the cats!

Chuck - I think Tallulah esspecially loves where she stays, she gets to bully lots of dogs, and between you and me, I don't think that Claire is locking up the liquor cabinet. I have no proof but I suspect that Tallulah is mixing herself up some vodka martinis!

Seattle area?? I love dogs and supplement my income by dogsitting at your home for $10 to $50 per day depending on your resources. Not bonded, but have many references.

Not Seattle area?? Try advertising at a local college or neighborhood paper.

We used to board Bill, a very cute/handsome mixed breed who doesn't have a brain in his head. Boy was that expensive! About $48.00 a night!!!!

Now, however, we have since learned that Bill has formed a bond with my very close friend Chris. The two of them get along great, Bill worships him. So whenever we go away, Chris stays at our place and dogsits. Still pricey because we make sure we have a TON of food that Chris would otherwise not purchase. Plus, we leave a few bucks for emergencies. But still not $48 a day.

Only downfall is when we get back, Bill gets all grumbly when Chris leaves.

We are very lucky. The breeder we got our boys from boards them for us. They LOVE IT there!!! The breeder lives on a big farm, and Fester and Wealsey's moms and dad and siblings are all there (about 12 pugs). They only charge us $10 per night per dog. Very reasonable, but it does add up, especially since we take a vacation every few months. This is the main thing stopping us from getting a third dog.

This would be one of the reasons why I'm a cat-owner. :teeth: Don't get me wrong, I LOVE dogs and would really love to have some again some day, but between my work schedule and my travel-addiction, it's just not practical because they need almost constant care. My kitty furbabies, on the other hand, are fine overnight without much fuss. For our upcoming trip, we've given a cat-loving co-worker $20 bucks to stop by our house a few times to love on them for 30 minutes or so, check their food and water (even though we put down the auto-feeder and waterer when we are gone) and run a quick scoop through the littler box. Easy cheesey! :smooth:

As for the pups (who are ADORABLE, by the way!), would be cheaper for you to hire an in-home pet-sitter than to board? Otherwise, friends/relatives are the only other things I can think of. Sorry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter