What Are The Fireworks Laws Where You Live?

Hunh. https://www.portlandoregon.gov/fire/article/378384
"Operation Lower the Boom"

I remember one summer night in college -- sometime after Independence Day -- stargazing and talking with a friend around 1 AM, just laying on a grassy field. Some rogue fireworks bicyclists (lol :confused:) were cycling around. Every once in a while, they'd stop to set off small fireworks then flee the scene, rinse and repeat. We guessed they were just trying to spread the fun of their leftover fireworks, though it startled us and probably others.

That said, I just realized I rarely witness folks setting off their own fireworks around holidays. Mostly just big shows.

my country has some of the most strict fireworks laws in the world. Basically it all fireworks for use by general public are illegal.

1. If you ignite a firework or cause it to be ignited in any place, you are guilty of an offence. The offence of igniting a firework can take place anywhere and not just in a public place. It can include the garden of a private house.
  2. If you throw, direct or propel an ignited firework at or towards someone else or at property, you are guilty of an offence.
  3. If you have a firework with the intention of selling or supplying it to someone else (and you don't hold a licence to import it) you are guilty of an offence.

The offences mentioned above are arrestable offences because they carry a possible 5 year jail sentence. Therefore the Police have the power to arrest you without warrant if they reasonably suspect you of having committed such an offence. They can also detain you in a Police station for questioning for up to 12 hours before you are charged with the offence or released.

If the Police reasonably suspect you of possessing fireworks for sale or supply without a licence they may:

1. Request your name and address
  2. Request you to go to the Police station for the purpose of verifying your name and address (if they are not satisfied your details are correct)
  3. Search you without a warrant and detain you for such time as is necessary for the search
  4. Enter and search any vehicle, vessel or aircraft without a warrant, if they suspect that a firework may be found there
  5. Seize and detain anything found in the course of the search, which is connected with fireworks
If the Police suspect that an offence of sale or supply of fireworks without a licence has been committed by you, they may arrest you without a warrant.

The Police have also been given the power to apply to the District Court for a search warrant which allows them to search a premises at any time (or times) within one week from the date of issue of the warrant. The warrant allows the Police to enter a premises, by force if necessary, and it also allows them to seize anything found in the search. The Police are allowed to demand the name and address of anyone who is present at the premises when they are searching it.

Anybody who obstructs the Police during the search under the warrant may be arrested. If found guilty in court, you may be liable on summary conviction to a class C fine or to imprisonment for up to 6 months, or to both.

Fireworks may be used at a special event or party but by only a licensed professional fireworks operator.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...w/criminal_offences/the_law_on_fireworks.html

Nothing irks me more though than going to town for the REAL show and there are a bunch of yahoos lighting bottle rockets in the parking lot & spectator area. It's times like that we should be able to punch people and not be charged for it.

That happens here in our town; the popular spot to watch is the school parking lot. And of course, even as the main show is going on, several yokels are setting off their own sideshows. It's frustrating.

My city had this weird phase shift going on. Was originally no fireworks allowed. They banned it. 4 years ago, the city decided that they would allow us to have our own fireworks, the trade off would be that the city would cancel the big firework display. That night though, outside smelled like so badly from all the fireworks going off. now 2 years ago, for some reason, the city reinstated the big fireworks display. Im not sure why or what happened. The self firing off fireworks are still allowed too.

None allowed in NY. Course we always drive around July 4th night and catch some of the bigger illegal show in the neighborhood. They go all out on 4th but rest of the years you would barely hear a thing.

I live in southwest Mo. I saw tents go up mid June they stay up until mid July. I live outside of the city limits people shot them off anytime they want to about the second week of July. It's good times here if we are lucky they end by midnight or 1.

smoke 'em if you got 'em.
hard to get 'em around here though.. last year we stopped on the way home from TN to get some nifty fireworks.. nothing too fancy though.

No fireworks in the city I live it.....but they sell them :rolleyes:
They can be set off in the city next to us.

Too hot to go out anyway, so we watch a public display from an upstairs window.
We do ground blooms and pop-its for the kids.....that's it.
Sure do miss our big July 4th parties when we lived in WA

I lived a good chunk of my life in PA, where the firework laws were pretty strict. I now live in New Hampshire, where there's pretty much no restriction... and let me tell you, I wish it was more like PA. lol Out here in the boonies, people are setting off fireworks at all hours into the night, shouting because they're drunk, etc.

I'm not really into lighting my own fireworks, but I guess others like it. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean that they don't get used. I've been around someplace and then saw or heard some illegal rocket going off.

And most professional fireworks are programmed, although there can be mistakes like the firing sequence in San Diego that shot off everything in 20 seconds. I heard that they might have armed it for a test sequence that was supposed to speed everything up, but forgot to put it back in a live firing mode.

Back here it is county by county. Our county allows pretty much anything. Of course they're banned in the next county over. So all our firework stands are naturally right at that county's line. HAHA. We have one where the parking lot is in the next county but the store itself is in ours. HAHA.

Illegal here. People just go out of state (like to NH) and buy them. It's annoying. I mean I like professional fireworks displays but some yahoo lighting off stuff at a cookout or something. Yeah no thanks.

In New Zealand, they are only available for sale for 3 days before Guy Fawkes day (Nov 5th). There are restrictions on what can be sold (no sky rockets for example). No restrictions on when you can set them off, but some around where (some public places for example).

I would say it won't be that long before they aren't available for sale at all, here.

People have been complaining here for at least a decade, I don't see it changing anytime soon

There are so many rules for them where I live it's tough to keep track. Lots of places sell them near us now.

I do remember no shooting them off between 11p and 7am except on New Years Eve, 4th of July, Christmas eve, and I think the 4th day was Memorial Day - those 4 days you can shoot them off until midnight.

You can also be fined if you are drinking while shooting them off - neighbor's boyfriend got hit with fines for that and shooting them off at 3am on a normal weekday. I think half our neighborhood called the police on him that morning when he scared us with the loud booms. And he threatened the next door neighbor who went out to tell him to knock it off because their child was sleeping.
On a side note - he's also the idiot who drives full speed down the road as if he's on an interstate when the speed limit is only 25 MPH. I'd be afraid to have young kids in this neighborhood anymore with that going on.
I hate that guy - I wish she would break up with him.

Pretty sure its "spend a fortune and upset all the pets in the neighborhood as often and as late as possible."

Yup, illegal in MA. But legal in some surrounding states. Police actually watch for people buying fireworks in NH and then driving back into MA, they will pull them over and confiscate the fireworks.

We live within a mile of the Magic Kingdom. We have fireworks every night. On July 4th, the Magic Kingdom show is incredible, yet people in the area stand in their yards setting of silly little roman candles instead of watching the Disney show. I don't get it. I really dislike the small fireworks, especially fire crackers. I have to drug our dog. Not fun!

Around here the sales and legality of shooting them vary by city, but that's probably because there's no county ordinance. This article describes Alameda County:

http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2010/06...s-available-in-alameda-county-starting-today/

Sales of “safe and sane” fireworks begin at noon today in Newark and Union City, continuing until Fourth of July evening.

But if you’re not a resident of those two cities and you plan on buying them to celebrate the Fourth locally, chances are you’ll be firing them off illegally — and could be fined or even face jail time — because most Alameda County communities have banned fireworks.

The legal fireworks — which bear a seal of approval from the state fire marshal — typically are described as those that neither explode nor leave the ground when they are ignited.

They are sold and legal to use in only three county communities — Dublin being the third. Residents in other communities — including Castro Valley, Fremont, Hayward area, San Leandro and San Lorenzo — have been warned that the use of any fireworks is prohibited.

“There is a zero-tolerance policy,” said deputy fire chief Demetrious Shaffer of the Alameda County Fire Department.

Even in some communities where fireworks are legal, the “safe and sane” products are not to be altered and can be used only on private property. That means they are prohibited in parks and parking lots. They also can be used through Sunday.​

Castro Valley and San Lorenzo are unincorporated areas served by the Alameda County Fire Department. The county doesn't specifically allow fireworks, but city has to.

My cousin lived in a city where fireworks were sold and they were allowed to be shot off in specific city parks. I remember visiting on a 4th of July and buying some sparklers. They also had a fire truck stationed at each park where they allowed fireworks.

It varies by city and county in my part of California. In past years, I have seen fireworks for sale at Walmart, so not sure they can only be sold by charities. The usual Safe and Sane are the rule where fireworks are allowed.
Firecrackers, if used for religious ceremonies, are legal. Otherwise, they are illegal.

Missouri's fireworks laws are a little complicated. I'll do my best to explain them.

Brick & mortar, permanent stores are allowed to operate 365 days per year. For the most part, though, local ordinances force them out of larger cities, so you mainly see them along the interstate, far outside of cities. Temporary buildings (viz, fireworks tents) are allowed to operate like two weeks before 4th of July until like a week after (the one in my town opened up tonight).* Again, local ordinances can (and do) force them out of most cities.

Used to be that the brick & mortar stores couldn't sell to anyone with a Missouri ID outside of tent season; I've been carded more than once. However, I don't know if that part of the law has been changed or if the brick & mortar shop where I buy mine (Molly Brown's, holla!) just looks the other way.

In my little town in the middle of nowhere, officially you aren't allowed to launch them in town. Unofficially, the cops look the other way unless it's super late at night or you're being a jerk about it.

*Edited to Add: I just drove by the town tent to score some Roman Candles, and it appears they aren't open yet. Maybe tomorrow? Either way, I'll be at a brick & mortar place on Sunday, so NBD.

Also in Missouri. I am in JeffCo. unincorporated. I have a large stand a half mile away. Fireworks are allowed in my neighborhood. In fact shooting them off all yr is common for SPORTS stuff, esp. March Madness.

They started selling them last week here. Someone was shooting off firecrackers at 8am today.

I bought a few. If you have NOT ventured into a stand recently, I recommend doing it and checking out the names of the large ones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter