What are the latest tips on Fl. tolls, should we buy a transponder?

It works in all E-ZPass states, as well as GA, NC, & FL. Is your state not part of E-ZPass?

E-Pass is functionally equivalent to SunPass. The only differences would be which website or app you use, and how you add funds. E-Pass Xtra adds E-ZPass interoperability, which SunPass does not currently offer. E-Pass Xtra costs almost as much as the SunPass portable,

E-Pass did recently upgrade their website, but it still may not be as smooth & spiffy as SunPass. I think I read that they also recently introduced an app, but I haven't tried it.
thanks- this is great info! I may just swap out my ezpass box for one of these so I can use it when I'm in FL now!

Coming into Florida on 75 I went into the Florida Welcome center and bought a SunPass on the dispenser. You purchase your (physical) SunPass from the dispenser and then put your information into the computer next to the dispenser. That takes a bit of time but the people who are there just for SunPass are super helpful, so that made it easy. The SunPass is just a sticker with a bar code that you adhere to your windshield, just below your (for me, E-Z Pass) transponder. An hour later I got on Florida's Turnpike so here's hoping it worked.

Coming into Florida on 75 I went into the Florida Welcome center and bought a SunPass on the dispenser. You purchase your (physical) SunPass from the dispenser and then put your information into the computer next to the dispenser. That takes a bit of time but the people who are there just for SunPass are super helpful, so that made it easy. The SunPass is just a sticker with a bar code that you adhere to your windshield, just below your (for me, E-Z Pass) transponder. An hour later I got on Florida's Turnpike so here's hoping it worked.
Wondering ... did the dispenser offer portables, or just stick-ons?

If you are going to be driving to Florida occasionally, leave the SunPass sticker on your car. It doesn't work by barcode; it has a chip inside. If you remove the sticker from your windshield, that is supposed to destroy it and you won't be able to use it for next trip.

Reading this, it seems like a lot of work to pay this way versus just paying cash.
Paying cash is so 20th Century!

You slow to a crawl and move over to the cash lane. You wait in a short line. You stop and fumble for change. You have a roll of quarters, but the toll is $1.05. Finally you pay and try to creep back into traffic. And five miles down the road, you go the whole thing again.

In the meantime, the SunPass (or otherPass) holder has breezed through the toll plaza at 60 MPH and saved 20% on their toll. And they also got points/cash back/frequent flier miles on their credit card, etc. And it's almost free.

So it's 5 minutes of "work" up front, or a series of slowdowns and stops later. Your choice.

We have EZ pass at home and are tired of digging for cash in Florida- so we opted to try the mini-transponder to test it out and see how it works. For those who only travel to Florida occasionally- the mini worked fine. It’s a one time usage type of thing.

I’m not sure if we’ll just get the regular one, or stick with the one shot minis.

It’s really not that much work. Set up your account- put in your car info- order the type you want - you’re good.

If you reserve a rental, you need to go back in and enter and then delete the rental info. But, in the grand scheme of Disney planning, it was not much effort at all.

I’m not sure if we’ll just get the regular one, or stick with the one shot minis.
The minis are not "one-shot." They are supposedly only good for one CAR, and if you remove them from the windshield they are supposed to self-destruct.

DW, who may or may not have had a mini on three different cars over a number of years, disagrees -- but she's entitled to her opinion.

As I said above -- if you are going to be returning to Florida with the same vehicle, just leave the little 2x2 sticky thing on your car.

With our recent trip not just going from the airport to WDW but also a cruise out of Port Canaveral, we got an E-Pass. We ordered the free Sicker version and made it removable/reusable by taping it to a re-stickable decal. Worked great and should work fine on multiple trips.

Their website is not too bad, was able to easily enter the rental car info before leaving the garage.

Don't forget to change the car info as soon as you return it.

For zero cost (other than the $10 deposit they take for the account), zipping thru the tolls without digging for change was priceless.

You slow to a crawl and move over to the cash lane. You wait in a short line. You stop and fumble for change. You have a roll of quarters, but the toll is $1.05. Finally you pay and try to creep back into traffic. And five miles down the road, you go the whole thing again.

In the meantime, the SunPass (or otherPass) holder has breezed through the toll plaza at 60 MPH and saved 20% on their toll. And they also got points/cash back/frequent flier miles on their credit card, etc. And it's almost free.

So it's 5 minutes of "work" up front, or a series of slowdowns and stops later. Your choice.

Agreed. Those cash lanes are dangerous too. Too many chance for a rear end accident. Plus you can get caught behind someone asking for directions.

Another consideration is getting a pass that will allow you to use the I-4 Express Lanes for free when they open. I wonder if they will sell passes that allow to slide the pass into the 3+ mode so you can drive in the lanes for free.

Biggest problem is when you are in a rental, get lost on the back roads, get onto the nearest highway that happens to be cashless and get stuck with the rental's automatic toll that you didn't plan for. That happened to us, so I got the portable transponder and don't have to worry anymore.

If you are going to be driving to Florida occasionally, leave the SunPass sticker on your car. It doesn't work by barcode; it has a chip inside. If you remove the sticker from your windshield, that is supposed to destroy it and you won't be able to use it for next trip.

We have had good luck using blue painter's tape to secure our Oklahoma toll pass (very similar to the SunPass "sticker" style) when needed. We use two strips (one on the left edge, one on the right edge) and just make sure that we have the sticker facing the right way. We have done this for years with no problems; it allows us to use log in to the PikePass system, update the car info and move the sticker to any car we are driving, including rentals... 🙂

I have a question about paying cash - I see that bills aren't accepted at un-manded booths. So, paying with coins - does the system recognize and accept $1 coins? I have many of these, having been issued them for laundry use on a Princess cruise, and would like to use them if I can. Thanks!

I have a question about paying cash - I see that bills aren't accepted at un-manded booths. So, paying with coins - does the system recognize and accept $1 coins? I have many of these, having been issued them for laundry use on a Princess cruise, and would like to use them if I can. Thanks!
If the exit says it doesn't accept cash, then it doesn't accept ANY cash, no matter if they are bills or coinage. If you make regular trips to Florida and will use a transponder multiple times over several years, get the transponder.

To a prior poster, one of the advantages of using a transponder, is that you get a discount on the tolls. Yes if this is a one time trip to Orlando and won't be returning until 10 years later, then paying cash (providing you are utilizing toll plazas where you can use cash) would be the way to go.

Also, Jacksonville has built some express lanes on the Western I295 beltway. If you are hitting during the rush hours, it could be advantageous to utilize them.

They are also adding express lanes to the eastern beltway, but while they have opened the non-express lanes, the EZ-pass lanes have many months to go.

Thank you. I was referring to booths that do accept cash but are un-manned and so require exact change. These don't accept bills, as I have read. Are US $1 coins acceptable? Do the machines or whatever where you put the coins for payment recognize these coins.

Send an email to the Central FL Expressway Authority (info@cfxway.com) which operates approx. 120 miles of toll roads in Central FL and ask them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!