What are you spending on vacation next year..

OH MAN. A lot. But we love it, so it's worth it. No plans on having kids. We also have Disney APs so I don't count that really as vacation, since it's already paid for (and we are driving distance away)

Vacations:

If it counts-we leave in December for Punta Cana DR-6 nights + airfare (driving to Orlando for a direct flight) = $2500 (AI resort)
We are going to Italy in March with my parents. With airfare it's going to be about $6000 (booked some with expedia points)
South Caribbean cruise in June = $1800 -got a deal by booking on past cruise on the cruise ship (+$100 ish for parking) I have a Carnival card so I earn points and will redeem toward the final cost
Mexico/Key West cruise in August $700 - got a deal by booking on the last cruise we were on. (+100 ish for parking) Will use any leftover Carnival points from ^^ for final cost.

One of our big expenses is the facility is the place we board our dog at. He absolutely loves going, and it's a great place, but it's $$$$.

10 days with a room on the ocean in Maui...can't wait. No intense day to day plans, just snorkeling with turtles outside our room.
$3200 2 bedroom condo
About $2500 flights for 4
And I figure about $2500 spending money

We also plan on doing some smaller trips to San Francisco area and the beach since it is only 2 hours away.

Don't have an exact budget yet but we are hoping around 10k for 3 trips. We want to do San Francisco for 3 days, Philly for 3 days, and New York City for 4 days. Then hopefully only 5k for 3-4 days at Disneyland next Halloween. We also will spend a week at Great Wolf Lodge next Christmas so that is another 2000.

We are planning a 10 day trip to WDW for Christmas. Looking at Deluxe Dining and staying at Wilderness Lodge. Will be about $7k for the 4 of us.
I hope to book this week!

We don't have much planned right now. My husband was out of work all summer with severance but it was still fairly stressful. He finally found a new job so we are going to kind of keep things casual and pretty much unplanned. We have been trying to take an adults only trip for the last 3 years but have ended up having to cancel due to unexpected situations. I am determined to make it happen this year. We had originally been planning to take a cruise but have decided to head back to Disney to do some adult things. We got our flights for free using points and we are using our families timeshare so there will be very minimal cost for lodging. Timeshare will be about 150-175 for the transfer fee to a place in Orlando, flights are free and rental car is around 220. Haven't quite decided how many days we are going to Disney and we are going to to do Universal as well so i am hoping outside of spending money to keep costs under 2500.

we haven't decided on our family vacation yet it will most likely end up being something last minute

We are empty nesters now with 2 kids in college. We have plenty of time to vacation but not much money! The plan is to use our timeshare condo to trade for a place in The Poconos over Christmas Break. We'll go snow tubing with our kids, maybe do some horseback riding, and have some much needed family time. I'm a teacher, so we always vacation over Easter Break. This year we're spending it in a timeshare condo in Hilton Head with 2 other couples. I have no idea what we'll do for summer vacation. DS20 will be away for an internship the whole summer, but DD18 should be home. We may just go to Virginia Beach for a week, or maybe New Orleans in early June? Not sure yet.

Last year we spent about $5000. We went to Great Wolf Lodge for 4 days/3 nights (free - used my parents leftover timeshare points that were going to expire) in Williamsburg, Va over Christmas Break. We shopped, toured Colonial Williamsburg (free for me & DH - W&M grads - and discounted for our kids) and played in the GWL waterpark - so fun! Over Easter Break we went to WDW for 5 days with DD's softball team for Disney's Softball Spring Training. DD had a deeply discounted trip at Pop due to fundraising. DH and I drove down, stayed in an offsite timeshare, used our discounted Disney Gift Cards for dining and a few days on our 10 day no expire waterpark fun and more tickets. Then during the summer, I spent almost 3 weeks with my parents (1 week in San Diego and 2 weeks in Maui - it was glorious!). My mom's health is declining, and I am very lucky that I got to spend so much quality time with her and my dad. We also spent a week at the Jersey Shore with DH's whole family at the end of the summer. The gorgeous and massive beach house we all rented cost almost $7000/week (luckily we split it 6 ways). That price tag made me REALLY appreciate my timeshare that was bought and paid for 30 years ago. It makes our vacations so affordable!

Last edited:
We've decided to change things up a bit and do things next year that we've never done before or haven't done forever.

We are considering CMA fest in Nashville-that's about $3500 depending on seat quality. We have no problems staying near the airport or in Brentwood for $100 hotel rooms instead of $600 hotel rooms downtown. We drive to Nashville as it's only 3 hours away. I'm not sold on this trip yet.

We will return to VA Beach-that's a driving trip to spend a weekend with my parents. We just returned and spent around $1500 for 5 days.

With the kids college age, my wife and I do some 3 day weekends, usually focused around running a half marathon somewhere. We have a zillion flight miles and hilton points to burn, so those trips don't cost much.

After yearly trips to Disney, both Florida and CA, there is nothing planned for 2018. Saving the DVC points for 2019 to visit when Star Wars land opens.

10 days with a room on the ocean in Maui...can't wait. No intense day to day plans, just snorkeling with turtles outside our room.
$3200 2 bedroom condo
About $2500 flights for 4
And I figure about $2500 spending money

This was my vacation this past summer, but on the north shore of Oahu, not Maui.

I spent way too much time sitting on the balcony, watching the ocean and crunching the numbers to see how I can move my retirement date up :rolleyes1 That vacation made me realize I'm ready to get out of the rat race. It's not my particular job I hate, or my career direction or anything like that, I'm just DONE with working. Funny, we've done the exact same vacation in the past, but this time it just hit me hard LOL

So..10 years and counting!!!! But hopefully I can get another Hawaii vacation in if not next year, the year after. There's just nothing that compares to it, for me at least. But I'm a low-maintenance vacationer.

Really interesting thread. Some cool ideas and some different perspectives. Ty all who have posted!

We have December at WDW for 2 adults 2 kids. 5 days Pop, 4 days Dolphin on spg points, 5 days OKW DVC rental. Used points for half the air. Total will probably be about $5200.

2 adults at the Venetian 3 nights for Super Bowl. Points for air. Got good rate for the hotel. $1200.

Spring break in Las Vegas with whole family. Week at timeshare is a gift from my folks. Alaska Air companion passes for air. $1400.

August camping at Tyrell Dinosaur Museum in Alberta with my son doing their citizen science experience. Might hike to the Burgess Shale fossil fields. Alaska companion pass. $1200.

December 9 day Royal Caribbean southern carib cruise out of Miami. Air on points. Hoping for kids sail free. $3500.

I really don't know . . . my partner and I plan on going to Food and Wine next year for 4-5 days. We'd use frequent flyer miles and have points at BWV, so it would mostly be the cost of park tickets and food for that. I usually take my adult kids on a vacation. We were all talking about possibly going on a cruise--either in a bunch of cabins or a big suite together, so that might happen.

We have a huge year next year. We are off to Italy for 2 months. We have booked the airfares on points but the total cost of our trip will be around 25k. We are booking via airbnb and staying in places for a week to keep costs down.
My BFF has also announced she is getting married in Bali 4 months after we return, so we will be having a 2 week trip there too. (we are in Australia so should be under 5k).
Very big year...

We did a 2 month road trip 2 years ago and loved it- our next trip is in May and we are going to do a "mini" road trip- flying into Utah and driving around Utah and Arizona for 2 weeks. We just touched on a bit of Utah last road trip and really want to see more of that and my daughters father lives in Arizona so we want to stop by there and have dinner with him and his wife.

So for 2018, we have a week at Disney planned that's going to be roughly $3500 for the both of us and a week at Williamsburg, VA which will be approximately $2k.
Our trip to Disney will be my roommate's first time ever, so I'm having a ball trying to plan it out to hit all the high points for her. (She is not an amusement park kind of person)
We are staying at POP and doing the dining plan, so it's gonna be fun!

Great topic! I'm doing a lot of research and waiting for deals. We're a family of 5 and it's not always easy to find accommodations for so many people in a room so it does an effect on where we go sometimes.

April - I'm looking at the Grand Canyon. We'll see if I can find a deal on tickets.
July 4th week - NYC again. We managed to get Hamilton tickets so we're surprising the kids. This is their big Christmas gift.
June - I'm thinking about Sanibel Island or Siesta Key

We have to travel over school breaks and my ILs 50th is in June anyhow
This is 4 adults, a 12 year old, and two 5 year olds (7 people)
So 4 night Disney cruise in June $11269, 3 nights stay ahead of time $1081 (2 hotel rooms), maybe $1700 between tips, excursions, eating out, space center, etc. (we do have some Disney rewards money for that as well) so about $14,000. We did not vacation this year. (My ILs did take us to Savannah for 5 nights, but they paid, it was a rental house, etc.)

Last edited:
Great topic! I'm doing a lot of research and waiting for deals. We're a family of 5 and it's not always easy to find accommodations for so many people in a room so it does an effect on where we go sometimes.

April - I'm looking at the Grand Canyon. We'll see if I can find a deal on tickets.
July 4th week - NYC again. We managed to get Hamilton tickets so we're surprising the kids. This is their big Christmas gift.
June - I'm thinking about Sanibel Island or Siesta Key
siesta key is the best beach ever!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter