What are your Bucket List Races, or Standout Races you've done!

margitmouse

Mouseketeer
In so many of these threads, folks are referencing other races, ones they've done, ones they've yet to do!
I thought, since we're already signed up for rD races, it would be fun to see what other races are on people's buckets lists and why. Or what races people have done that were really standout races for them.

I did Peachtree this summer. It was Crazy! Thunder, some flashes of lightening, heat, humidity everything that should have made it a wretched experience....but it wasn't, it was one of the best races I've ever run because I met this really amazing 72 year old runner. She was recovering from an injury, we ran slower than I would have run on my own, but she shared some of her running experiences... I've never had the miles pass so effortlessly!
She told me about running Big Sur Marathon; what an amazing experience it was. This from a woman who has run many memorable marathons including Berlin and Boston. She told me if I did any marathon to do that one...
~Thank you Chris!
You are imbedded in my heart and my running soul!

So, of course Big Sur is on my Bucket list!
Also:
Boston- I'm from the area!
Santa Rosa half or full- family memories :)
Covered Bridges Half- heard it is just beautiful!

Looking for more to add:

What's on your lists?? What was the best? What would you love to run?

Bucket list:
Grandma's marathon
Bay to Breakers
RocknRoll Las Vegas (probably just the half)
Chicago Marathon
Boston Marathon
New York City Marathon

I will probably come back and edit to add more as I think of them :)

A few I have done that might be on someone's bucketlist:
Marine Corps Marathon
Disney World Marathon
A Ragnar relay race
Cherry Blossom 10 miler
Army 10 miler

Favorites I've done:
Comrades
Disney
Marine Corps
Richmond
Rocky Raccoon 50
Stockholm
Two Oceans

Yet to do:
Big Five
Medoc
London
Mount Desert Island
Rocky Raccoon 100
Sydney
Texas Independence Relay

Hey, thanks for playing!

Bucket list:
Grandma's marathon
Bay to Breakers
RocknRoll Las Vegas (probably just the half)
Chicago Marathon
Boston Marathon
New York City Marathon

I will probably come back and edit to add more as I think of them :)

Please come back and add!
I'm going to see how January goes... But Chicago, Boston and Ny all intrigue me too!

Bay to Breakers looks like fun too.
Thanks for the idea!

And @FFigawi! Of course there nothing on your lists less than 26.2 miles!!! Lol!

You've got some great, interesting races listed though! :)

Come on peeps, I know you're out there... Throw in a race or 2!!
;)

I wrote a long post and my browser crashed, so here is a shorter version of my wish list:

Pike's Peak Marathon
Comrades Ultra
Loon Mountain Race
Blue Ridge Marathon

I wrote a long post and my browser crashed, so here is a shorter version of my wish list:

Pike's Peak Marathon
Comrades Ultra
Loon Mountain Race
Blue Ridge Marathon

Would love to see the rest of your list!
Going to check out your "wishes"!

Big Sur and Honolulu are on the next few years' list. Longer-term and assuming the kids don't bankrupt me, London, Berlin, Athens, Paris, Tokyo, etc. A guy can dream, right?

Big Sur and Honolulu are on the next few years' list. Longer-term and assuming the kids don't bankrupt me, London, Berlin, Athens, Paris, Tokyo, etc. A guy can dream, right?

Woohoooo!
Love it! That's what bucket list are about right?

Favorites I've done:
Chicago
New York
Honolulu
Golden Gate Relay
Hood to Coast Relay
Ironman Wisconsin

Bucket List:
Any runDisney run (finally signed up for my first... Dark Side Challenge)
Boston (unfortunately, I will never qualify)
Pike's Peak (just the half)
Big Sur
Something overseas

Chicago is on everyone's list... What makes it so special?

Also:
For all who responded, and all who haven't-
Any half marathons of note, anything for us half marathoners???

Also:
The only half marathons on my list are runDisney events. I have only on marathon weekend, so lots to cover over the years.

I have run many halves, but none that I would recommend other than the Runner's World one in Bethlehem, PA.

I'm a half marathoner

New York City Half - pretty cool running through Time Square :)
Boston's Run to Remember - Run through Boston and along the Charles River on Memorial Drive, gorgeous view on Mass Ave Bridge.
Boston Half - Ran it today, not a fan.

@margitmouse .......Only been running for 3 1/2 years but I've done MCM and Dopey that were on my bucket list. Richmond coming up next month.

Would love to do: Chicago (it's flat, it's got huge crowds, we have family there!), Miami, Boston, Big Sur, Las Vegas, Toronto, , TOT, and maybe for a bigger goal, all 50 states!

For Half Marathons......really enjoyed the RunDisney ones, plus Va. Beach, and Frederick. Would like to do Hershey and Annapolis some day. Maybe even a Santa Hustle, they look like fun and have cookies!

I'm a half marathoner

Boston's Run to Remember - Run through Boston and along the Charles River on Memorial Drive, gorgeous view on Mass Ave Bridge.

Hey Neighbor! Thanks for some local flavor!
Run to remember, NYC half.
But not boston half!!

Is there a Boston Hot Chocolate 15k?!

@margitmouse .......Only been running for 3 1/2 years but I've done MCM and Dopey that were on my bucket list. Richmond coming up next month.

Would love to do: Chicago (it's flat, it's got huge crowds, we have family there!), Miami, Boston, Big Sur, Las Vegas, Toronto, , TOT, and maybe for a bigger goal, all 50 states!

For Half Marathons......really enjoyed the RunDisney ones, plus Va. Beach, and Frederick. Would like to do Hershey and Annapolis some day. Maybe even a Santa Hustle, they look like fun and have cookies!

Chicago again!! We'll have to hear from @IamTrike when he's back, just did this one today!!

And cookies are always good! Santa Hustle- check!

And @FFigawi! Of course there nothing on your lists less than 26.2 miles!!! Lol!

That's true, mostly because if I'm going to fly halfway around the world for a race, I want it to be for at least a marathon. That said, I do want to run Beach to Beacon at some point because it's in my hometown.

The Detroit Marathon was a standout event for me.

The course starts in downtown Detroit. You run across the Ambassador bridge through the Canadian border/customs, through Windsor, ON for a few miles and then take the tunnel under the river back into the U.S. The tunnel is a mile long.

That puts you back in downtown Detroit. You run out to Grosse Pointe (lots of spectacular homes!) then to Belle Isle. After Belle Isle, you run along the Detroit River walk back into downtown for the finish.

Because of the international aspect, you need to provide your passport info well in advance then bring your passport to the bib pickup. In addition, they recommend you carry you passport with you (at least they did in 2012 - that might have changed, though). Luckily, I planned a meet-up with my wife and handed her my passport once I got back in the US.

Just typing this out makes me want to do it again. Running in two countries was/is a quite a novelty.

Favorites I've done:
Comrades
Disney
Marine Corps
Richmond
Rocky Raccoon 50
Stockholm
Two Oceans

Yet to do:
Big Five
Medoc
London
Mount Desert Island
Rocky Raccoon 100
Sydney
Texas Independence Relay

Which Medoc is that? Is that the Marathon Du Medoc in France or the Medoc Mountain in NC? I'm doing Medoc Mountain this weekend its consistently ranked one of the best endurance races on the east coast but it's small at less than 500 people so I'll be shocked if it makes your list.

Also:
I did Chicago this weekend. It was really neat course and it's very flat. The crowd support was really good. Not quite as crazy as NY but much better than pretty much any other marathon. It was really good.

My bucket lists races are:
London Marathon
City to Surf Marathon (Sydney Australia)
Big Sur
Boston (I really want to qualify)
Marine Corps
Detroit Marathon

So far I've done
Goofy/Dopey
NY Marathon
Chicago Marathon
Wellington Half Marathon (New Zealand)
City to Surf 14K (Melbourne Australia)
OuterBanks Marathon (NC)
Shamrock Half Marathon VA Beach
Medoc Marathon

I'm a half marathoner

Can you tell me why you did not like the Boston Half? I haven't looked into to it, so I know very little about it. Does the course run the last half of the full?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter