What are your Bucket List Races, or Standout Races you've done!

Has anyone done the Gasparilla challenge?

My first 5K was the Gasparilla Challenge 5K back in 2005. I also ran the 5K and Half in 2014. I really like the event and would do it again in a second. It is a great course and probably my favorite medal.

Bucket List:
Boston (but only as a qualifier)

Chicago
Richmond

Hoping to do Chicago in 2016 or 2017, keep hearing great things about it.
But I can now speak with "authority" about Richmond after completing it this past weekend.

The race starts downtown and you run parallel with the half marathoners for the first 3 miles or so on Broad Street before splitting up.
Great run through historic neighborhoods, VCU, lots of crowd support, music, cheerleaders, water stops, snacks, and atmosphere. You cross the James River twice. Not too many hills and after passing the Arthur Ashe Center and the Diamond it seemed to drag, but that might be because it was around mile 20 or 21.
Great turn to the finish and the last half mile is downhill which is a nice change from most marathons that seem to end UP-hill.
We received an average race shirt, but medal, blanket, and hat were nice, water, powerade, banana, and free pizza and massages at the finish at Brown's Island (also very nice).

Thumbs up and would probably run again once I get over the whole "Never Running a Marathon Again" which I tell myself every time. After a day or so, the feeling subsides and I am ready to do it again.

Last edited:
Halfs I've Completed:

WDW 1/2 Marathon--it was my first and my favorite
Avenue of the Giants and Humboldt Redwoods (same course, different times of the year)
California International Marathon (ran as part of a relay team)--an awesome race...another favorite
Shamrock'n half in Sacramento
Rock-n-Roll Portland
DL Avengers

Bucket list races:

Eugene Half marathon
WDW Princess Glass Slipper Challenge

I loved the now defunct Nike DC half marathon (RIP). For a half in DC, there's the Navy/Air Force half marathon that's run in fall.

Big Sur has a half marathon option run in November. I'd like to run Big Sur, somewhere in Hawaii, and Tokyo.

Half's I completed:
RNR Denver
All rundisney except Marathon weekend
Colfax Half
Most of the races I do are around Denver area since I am local.

Looking forward to next year doing Big Sur is my first full. Also Disney Paris Half

My bucket list would be
Detroit International
RNR Vegas and New Orleans
Honolulu Marathon
Dublin RNR

My current biggest bucket list item is the 2018 Dopey Challenge. It's the 25th anniversary of the full and 5th of the 10k and challenge. I want in on that.

My actual bucket list isn't races though I have a few picked out, but I'd love to run a marathon on every continent. So, The Great Wall Marathon, Great Ocean Road Marathon, and Inca Trail Marathon are on that list. There are just so many amazing international races that have beautiful courses. You just have to go through the Antarctic Ice Marathon to get there. Yes, that sounds crazy, but that's my running bucket list, and I never claimed to be sane.

Another true bucket list item is to complete an ultra though I really hope to check that off the list this fall.

My current biggest bucket list item is the 2018 Dopey Challenge. It's the 25th anniversary of the full and 5th of the 10k and challenge. I want in on that.

My actual bucket list isn't races though I have a few picked out, but I'd love to run a marathon on every continent. So, The Great Wall Marathon, Great Ocean Road Marathon, and Inca Trail Marathon are on that list. There are just so many amazing international races that have beautiful courses. You just have to go through the Antarctic Ice Marathon to get there. Yes, that sounds crazy, but that's my running bucket list, and I never claimed to be sane.

Another true bucket list item is to complete an ultra though I really hope to check that off the list this fall.

You could always just go for all 7 continents in 7 days. :thumbsup2 I know it's something I would attempt if I were to ever win the lottery.

http://www.worldmarathonchallenge.com

You could always just go for all 7 continents in 7 days. :thumbsup2 I know it's something I would attempt if I were to ever win the lottery.

http://www.worldmarathonchallenge.com

I agree!! If I had the money I'd at least attempt it. My legs may fall off and jet lag would turn me into a walking zombie but I'd try it. I've listened to a podcast where they've had someone do this, and it sounds amazing.

I completed my big bucket list goal of running a half in all 50 states in May 2014 on my 50th birthday. I took a year off running and am running less distance these days. 12k is the new 13.1 miles for me in 2016 as I'll be running Bay to Breakers in May and Battleship 12k in November.

I recapped a state a week leading up to my May 2014 50th state in my running blog.

I particularly enjoyed running back to back halfs in different states in getting my 50 states:
Applefest (NH) and Portland (ME)
Hartford and Boston
Baltimore and Atlantic City
Des Moines and Lincoln
National Half (DC) and Caesar Rodney (DE)
Applefest/Portland was my first Saturday/Sunday half back to back. I remember the feeling after completing Applefest at the post race party how I needed to get cleaned up and drive to Maine to get to the race expo and get my race packet for the next morning.

The one international half marathon that I've run is the Great North Run in Newcastle England. I found out about the race flying back to Houston after running the Jazz Half in New Orleans. I was wearing the race shirt on the flight home and started chatting with a gentleman returning to London after vacationing in New Orleans. I googled the race when I got home, registered in the lottery and was running in England a year later!

I am from Seacoast NH... RIP Applefest. :( The last one was in 2013. It became too much of a burden to put on such a big race in such a small town. It was around for such a long time, too!

Hoping to do Chicago in 2016 or 2017, keep hearing great things about it.
But I can now speak with "authority" about Richmond after completing it this past weekend.

The race starts downtown and you run parallel with the half marathoners for the first 3 miles or so on Broad Street before splitting up.
Great run through historic neighborhoods, VCU, lots of crowd support, music, cheerleaders, water stops, snacks, and atmosphere. You cross the James River twice. Not too many hills and after passing the Arthur Ashe Center and the Diamond it seemed to drag, but that might be because it was around mile 20 or 21.
Great turn to the finish and the last half mile is downhill which is a nice change from most marathons that seem to end UP-hill.
We received an average race shirt, but medal, blanket, and hat were nice, water, powerade, banana, and free pizza and massages at the finish at Brown's Island (also very nice).

Thumbs up and would probably run again once I get over the whole "Never Running a Marathon Again" which I tell myself every time. After a day or so, the feeling subsides and I am ready to do it again.
Thanks for the information about Richmond. I think that may be our groups back weekend getaway full if we don't get into Marine Corps.

My most memorable race was my first marathon which was the Disney World Marathon in 2013.

Bucket List
Dopey
I'd like to run all the Disney races at least once
Chicago
NY
Boston Run to Remember (my husband ran this several years ago and loved it)

Thanks for the information about Richmond. I think that may be our groups back weekend getaway full if we don't get into Marine Corps.

Richmond is a great race! Gorgeous course, usually cool & nice weather, and enough people to feel like a big race without the huge crowds of other big city races. Plus, Richmond has lots of good entertainment and dining options for pre and post-race celebrations. It's also held on Saturday, giving you an extra day to recover. I ran it as my first full 10 years ago. Had planned to go back this year but ended up doing a half distance tri instead.

Richmond is a great race! Gorgeous course, usually cool & nice weather, and enough people to feel like a big race without the huge crowds of other big city races. Plus, Richmond has lots of good entertainment and dining options for pre and post-race celebrations. It's also held on Saturday, giving you an extra day to recover. I ran it as my first full 10 years ago. Had planned to go back this year but ended up doing a half distance tri instead.
I've heard nothing but good things about it. It's one of those races I keep almost doing. We usually do one big travel fall marathon a year. Richmond to us is in an interesting spot. It's about 2 hours away which makes it not quite close enough to be a convenient day trip and not far enough away to feel like we are getting a good trip away. I'm sure I'll do it at some point though.

I am from Seacoast NH... RIP Applefest. :( The last one was in 2013. It became too much of a burden to put on such a big race in such a small town. It was around for such a long time, too!

Applefest definitely was a pleasant surprise race for me. I thought it was comparable to Covered Bridges in VT although not nearly as advertised.

The post race apple crisp was an awesome reward for running a half marathon! It was also the only race I've done that had a no T-shirt registration option.

Thanks for the Richmond review. I'm looking at the 2016 calendar and trying to figure out if I'm going to try for a full again next fall or wait a year. Richmond or Thunder Road (Charlotte)are my top choices as of now. Has anyone here done both or have a Thunder Road review they could give me?

All registered (for Covered Bridges in VT)! I wasn't able to fill in my country or state on the registration, but it let me move on even those were marked required fields.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter