What do I do with 10 points?

jpmom

Always Disney Bound!
DVC Gold
I have 10 points left - they must be used by August 31st.

I've always used up all my points, so I'm not really sure what to do with these.

I have 10 points left - they must be used by August 31st.
What UY are they from?
If you can bank them then bank them, but if not maybe post on the rent/transfer board of this forum. Sometimes there are members who are looking for a few extra points to make a reservation or to add a day. If they are not bankable and have the restriction of needing to be used by august you probably can't fetch the usual $16-17 per point but you could probably get rid of them pretty easily for $12-13 pp.

If they are already banked points then i don't think you can transfer them.

I will assume that these 10 points were banked from your 2017 use year (because otherwise, you could bank them to 2019 as the banking deadline for September 2018 points is April 30 2019).

Your only option (banked points may not be transferred) is to make a reservation that uses them and then use the reservation yourself, gift it, or rent it). You may have to add OTU points or borrow points to have enough to do that. If that won't work for you, the points will expire at the end of the use year and will be lost to you ( as you know). Sometimes, that's the best available option. As they say, no use throwing good $$ after bad. :sad:

I was in a similar situation, once, where I had 14 points about to expire. I put in a notification online on this website, and said that I would rent out one single night for someone. I eventually found someone who rented them from me, though I had to kick in just a few more points because they chose a weekend.

Many of the point brokers won't rent out a single night, or any rental under 50 points, but there ARE people out there who only want 1 or 2 nights, so you should be able to compete.

Put the points up for renting as @Frederic Civish suggested. If necessary, purchase OTUPs to complete it. Even a $3-$4/pt. loss on the OTUPs is better than losing the 10 points, assuming that you’re not purchasing 24 OTUPs.
Probably more work/trouble/costly to save those 10 points than it's worth. OP doesn't qualify to use the DIS R/T Board without paying a fee, most brokers require more than 10 points & the market for 1 night is small.

Personally, I might borrow a few points to be able to reserve a night to rent, but I wouldn't buy OTUP points or pay $24.95 for a plan. There are virtually no studios available through mid-May, so she's looking at Magic or Dream season. So at least 14 points for a studio.

Seems like a lot of work for a few dollars (and no guarantee a customer would be found), but I value my points at the MF level for these purposes. YMMV.

On two different occasions, early in my ownership, I have had around 10 points left over that I could not bank. Each time, I was successful in renting them to someone who wanted to add one night to an existing reservation. You have sufficient time to try this yourself. May have to cut price, but it can be done.

I would probably buy some extra one time use points and book and extra night on your next trip, assuming it’s before 8/31.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!