What do you consider “stocking up” vs “hoarding”?

I hadn’t thought much about stocking up on certain things until they started talking about a second surge of the virus this fall/winter. So lately I have been buying extra toilet paper, paper towels, tissues and Clorox wipes every week when I shop. This week I’m going to start buying a few extra pantry items as well. I want to be prepared.

I think prices are going to increase sharply as well and I‘m getting 12 or 24 cans of the sauce we use when on sale or pasta etc.

they are already increasing-simple prego and ragu pasta sauce was over $4 per jar today at the store :crazy: not talking some fancy specialty blend-simple marinara.

they are already increasing-simple prego and ragu pasta sauce was over $4 per jar today at the store :crazy: not talking some fancy specialty blend-simple marinara.
Exactly... and I think it will continue to increase. I wish I had put in gardens this year to offset some costs . Maybe next summer.

[
I wish I could FIND Clorox wipes (or any other wipes for disinfecting) here. We bought one canister in March when this all started, and that's the last I've seen. I'm not planning on buying every one I see, but I'd like to get some.

During the worst of it, I found lysol and clorox wipes on amazon but I spent hours clicking over and over but I was hunting for supplies for family.

During the last 6 weeks I found some wipes a few times at bjs, gave them to neighbor and church.

In the last couple of weeks, I decided I'd like to get a few more tubs of wipes for myself. I found them on amazon. I was just looking for clorox or lysol. I did find some a few days ago. Cost a bit more, and won't be delivered for a few weeks, but I don't care. I use about one tub a week, so with what I have, I'm good for about 3 months.

I live in South Jersey, right outside of Philly and have found Clorox wipes at Target each week for the past four weeks. There have been plenty and I have purchased several, keeping several for myself and giving out several to family members.

As a Mormon, I feel that 3-6 months supply of food, water, and other necessary items is normal. Having up to a 1 year supply is smart but beyond the means of most people. I think that keeping more than a year's worth of necessities is excessive.

I have also been slowly stocking up for this fall and winter, I think things may get just as bad as last March when you combine flu season with Covid. I purchased extra shelves to keep the surplus, it looks terrible but I'm not having guests inside my house anyway. Keeping food storage would be so much easier in a house, my apartment is small.

Although we live in a metropolitan area, our closest Costco is 2hrs away. I have very large storage pantries that were installed when we built our house 10 years ago. We make a monthly / 6 weekly run to Costco at which time we buy 1-2 packs of their paper towel and 1-2 packs of toilet paper for our family of 5. Flours / sugar / yeast I replaced in March so I am stocked for another month of baking or so. We are lucky here in Australia that really the only limitations are currently on the sale of toilet paper in certain areas so no-one is panic buying (like they did in March / April when limits then were put into place).

Family members and friends say my pantry is like a grocery store however we don't buy ready made foods other then tinned spaghetti, 2min noodles (saimin) or dried pasta so I really only stock basic ingredients.

As a Mormon, I feel that 3-6 months supply of food, water, and other necessary items is normal. Having up to a 1 year supply is smart but beyond the means of most people. I think that keeping more than a year's worth of necessities is excessive.

I have also been slowly stocking up for this fall and winter, I think things may get just as bad as last March when you combine flu season with Covid. I purchased extra shelves to keep the surplus, it looks terrible but I'm not having guests inside my house anyway. Keeping food storage would be so much easier in a house, my apartment is small.
I had to live in an apartment smaller than the amount of stuff I had once. I had spare shelves everywhere, including over the washer/dryer. One thing you could do, if you get sick of looking at the shelves is take an old, but nice looking sheet and tack it over the shelf like a curtain. If you don't need the sheet, you can gather the top and make it a little decorative.

I'm not the one to ask. We used up the last roll of my grandmother's tin foil summer before last. She died in 2008, and probably hadn't gone grocery shopping for herself for at least 5 years before that. But I never thought of her as a hoarder. :rotfl:

I think you can usually see the difference between stocking up and hoarding in the buying behaviour. Stocking up aims for practical supplies to last a fixed period of time (and I pass no judgment if that period is 3 months for one person and 1 year for the next). Hoarding buys just because it is available or discounted, with little to no regard for what is already on hand at home or even whether the item in question is something the buyer will actually use.

I am stocking up on a few things we had a hard time getting in the early spring, because I am concerned we may see the same issues arise in the fall/winter, but it is all stuff that will be long gone by this time next year whether or not actual shortages materialize. My kids won't be using up the last of my toilet paper stash 15+ years from now!

I’ve always had a “one in use, two on hand” set up, usually timed to sales. Very, very rare that I get down to the last one of something. Or it was. Grocery pick up has become somewhat normal and so I’m working on getting that back. I might go to “three or four on hand” just because I thought we were good when all this started and it feels like I got caught out. For me, I feel that’s stocking up. Hoarding is when you’re buying it despite being more than well stocked.

I always try to have a "back-up" of things I use regularly. So I don't run out. Toiletries, household items, some grocery items, etc.

If I have a hard time finding something I buy several when I find it in stock. I had a hard time finding Classico Four-Cheese Pasta Sauce. When I found it in stock I bought 4 jars (leaving plenty on the shelf). My daughter hadn't been able to find the tea she liked, so when I found it I bought her 4 boxes (leaving 2 on the shelf).

I have never bought more than I thought I could realistically use before it went bad. I did not buy a bunch of crap because it was a "good deal."

To me, the difference is mostly one of whether or not the utility is definite and within a relatively finite time period. If you know that you WILL use it within whatever preparedness timetable you set for yourself between purchases, that's stocking up. If you are buying it for that nebulous "just in case" moment in any quantity other than the most common single size that it comes in, that's probably hoarding.

I give a pass to situations where you have some favorite brand/type of item that is very hard to find for you. Even if you don't know that you will use it, a bit extra is a reasonable hedge against going without. (Like last Christmas, when I stumbled on Cherry Stick candy and bought 10 boxes. I stored it away carefully, and I nibble on it regularly but sparingly. It had been 10 years since the last time I'd been able to get any.)

I had to live in an apartment smaller than the amount of stuff I had once. I had spare shelves everywhere, including over the washer/dryer. One thing you could do, if you get sick of looking at the shelves is take an old, but nice looking sheet and tack it over the shelf like a curtain. If you don't need the sheet, you can gather the top and make it a little decorative.
Thanks! I was thinking about doing something like that, making some custom covers for the shelves. Of course I'm a dummy and didn't buy the size of shelves that already have covers available. Story of my life :) Hopefully I get around to it soon. I have some large airtight storage boxes with gaskets that I'm thinking about using under our beds. Normally I wouldn't store pantry stuff in bedrooms but I was thinking since they are supposedly airtight they would keep bugs out too.

Thanks! I was thinking about doing something like that, making some custom covers for the shelves. Of course I'm a dummy and didn't buy the size of shelves that already have covers available. Story of my life :) Hopefully I get around to it soon. I have some large airtight storage boxes with gaskets that I'm thinking about using under our beds. Normally I wouldn't store pantry stuff in bedrooms but I was thinking since they are supposedly airtight they would keep bugs out too.
If the containers are tall enough, again, throw some material or a table cloth on them for a side table. I had one storage box with a tablecloth over it holding a lamp beside my sofa. I even made a doily (yeah, old school, lol) for it to go under the lamp. Not "Archetectural Digest" worthy, but it did the job and was pleasant enough for me.

I wish I could FIND Clorox wipes (or any other wipes for disinfecting) here. We bought one canister in March when this all started, and that's the last I've seen. I'm not planning on buying every one I see, but I'd like to get some.
I’ve gotten lucky on Amazon with the Clorox wipes. I also got a 5 pack at Costco not too long ago. I was at target yesterday morning around 10am and they still had a good number of Clorox 3 packs, they opened at 7am. And Costco has intermittently had stock on the 5 packs this past month, you have to usually be there about 20-30 minutes before they open to get whatever stock they have on the wipes.

I think a lot of it has to do with your location. I am from MT so I will use communities there (feel free to check out google maps to find some of the locations I mention or if you have kids and want to get some map practice in dig out that old atlas collecting dust some where and have some fun.
If your in Yellowstone County which is the most populated county in the state and you have access to costco, sams club, 2 target stores, 3 walmarts, 5 albertsons and 2 iga stores plus a number of clothing stores and other types of stores then a 3-6 month supply for most people is going to be sufficent because even if your on a ranch outside of Custer, MT once you reach town your 56 miles to Billings which is the largest community and the county seat. This is figuring that there are going to be days that there is black ice on the interstate and local authorities are going to issue emergency travel only restrictions and since that is very much a ranching community (maybe 2-5% work at the school or at the local bar/resturant) trips to the city are reserved for such things as medical, dental, vision appointments, school supplies, holiday shopping, and when your team is playing in a basketball tournament.
On the other hand if your on a ranch outside of Opheim, MT where it's 51 miles on a state road just to Glasgow and 319 miles to Billings (closest large town though Great Falls is not much further at 322 miles) a drive that on dry roads is just under 5 hours each way your going to want a stock of at least basics that can last you from mid to late September clear through to anywhere from mid April to mid May. While it is rare we can get snow fall that early and that late though usually those are short storms that clear out. At the very least you need to plan on needing supplies to last mid October to mid March.
While you can get some supplies in a small town the price is going to high. A 4 pack of scott brand toilet paper (name brand but on the lower price end) that costs $3.97 for a 4 pack at Walmart in the Billings or Great Falls area would run you $5.95 in a town like Glasgow or Havre and $8.76 in a town like Opheim because of the issolation of the town and the local stores are going to be much smaller and thus not have the room to stock a huge amount and variety.You might find 2-3 at most brands or varities of toilet paper, toothpaste, dish soap, laundry detergent, spaghetti sauce, pasta (there is macaroni, spaghetti or angle hair depending on what they have, lasagna, and if you lucky either penner or rigatoni you want shells instead of elbow for that macaroni well sorry your out of luck) and rice (choice of brown, white,or instant in small bag or box only) plus a small amount of canned fruits and vegetables (peaches, pears, pineapple, fruit cocktail, green beans, peas, corn). While you can get flour and sugar it is going to be small bags and you are going to pay a much for that 1-2 pound bag as you would for a 10 pound bag of the same brand in a larger community.

It's simple: if the store cashier has to tell you that there is an item limit for a particular item in your cart and you have to put the rest of said item back so others may have a chance to purchase it...you're hoarding.
If it's an item limit of 1 and you think "that's fine, I only needed one anyway" then you're stocking up.

Or if you're waiting for that store employee to wheel out part of that day's truck shipment so you can pounce on the case of Charmin before anyone else can get their grubby paws on it...
(true story, my brother works at a grocery store)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter