What do you do with your pictures?

MarkBarbieri

Semi-retired
We all take pictures. I'm curious; what do you do with yours? With my pictures:

1. I share them with friends, mostly on Signal (a text messaging app) but occasionally on social media platforms.
  2. I print them and hang them on our walls. I sometimes use a "frameless" technique where I put thumbtacks in the wall put the pictures over the thumbtacks, and then put magnets on the pictures to hold them against the thumbtacks.
  3. Display them on our digital picture frame. I don't have a "real" digital picture frame. I just display them on a regular TV over the fireplace in slideshow mode.
  4. Make books with them. I've just started doing this.
  5. Print them and give them as gifts. I do a lot of portrait shoots for friends and sometimes I print a bunch of those and gift the pics to them.

I've started making movie slide shows and sprinkle in some video clips. My kids love them, but I need to work on my culling because they run over 2 hours most of the time.

I do a photobook of each trip/vacation and our grandkids special occasions.
I still make prints of my favorite photos of family members and store them in archival boxes.
My kids will either love me or loathe me for my photo collection when I expire!

When my 9 year old nephew passed suddenly 7 years ago, I was the only one who had actual prints.
The old saying, "You will never know the value of a photograph until it is all you have left" really hit home.

I scrapbook with my photos. I recently counted and have in the neighborhood of 75 albums. I recently digitized the pages knowing full well my kids were never going to keep all those albums around when I'm gone. But the pages, and the heartfelt (and often lengthy) journaling will be much easier for them to keep in digital form.

I know I could just make them digital to start with, but I love the craft of working with physical supplies. It's better than therapy!

I scrapbook like mom2rtk and digitize them as well. I also have printed out many photos from the past for our family friends. Whatever they do with them is fine! I just want them to have these photos of their childhood to give to their children.

And I have threatened DS that I will reach out from the grave if he doesn't hold onto the scrapbooks and maintain my SmugMug account!

I do the slideshows with music. I used to make these with windows movie maker. Since microsoft did away with that program I have searched for a program that’s similar and as easy to use. I recently stumbled upon Filmora and I am very pleased!

TC :cool1:

I make a photobook for my vacation pictures. Other special occasion pictures (e.g. birthday) I still make prints and keep them in a box.

We have friends that cruise several times a year. They too make a photobook for each cruise and in addition they choose a special picture from each trip and have it made into a 12x12 canvas print. You should see the beautiful wall of these 12x12s; I wish now that I had taken a picture of it!

I have my smug mug site still. But I haven’t used my good gear in a while. I had a bad case of tennis elbow that made carrying it difficult and when that cleared I tore a bicep tendon and had to have that fixed along with my rotator cuff. My old camera died in The bag. Along with my flash. So new camera is in and I am looking forward to reengaging.

Hope to see you posting soon and sorry about all the injury issues. I've been there myself. As DH says "It's the maintenance that increases each year!"

Depending on how my photos come out, I'll either put them up in social media, Instagram/Facebook or just store them on an external hard drive. Question for those who put your photos in a photo album: Do you print them and then put them in an album, or do you send them electronically to a site and have them printed in a photo album book? And if that's the case, which site to you use? I'm thinking of doing that with some of my photo shoots and giving them out as gifts.

Depending on how my photos come out, I'll either put them up in social media, Instagram/Facebook or just store them on an external hard drive. Question for those who put your photos in a photo album: Do you print them and then put them in an album, or do you send them electronically to a site and have them printed in a photo album book? And if that's the case, which site to you use? I'm thinking of doing that with some of my photo shoots and giving them out as gifts.
The past 10 years or so, I make a photo album through Blurb for each vacation and family event. They offer 40 percent off every month or two.
Prior to that, I have tons of photo albums with 4 x 6 prints.
Since photobooks have not been around that long, hard to say if they will hold up as nice as carefully preserved prints.

I have made photobooks for special occasions and as gifts and when I want one I usually look for deals at Shutterfly and have had good results. This may sound cheap/unprofessional but I often use Walmart to do my prints for scrapbooking here in Colorado although I found they were bad in Maryland for color control.

I took every older photo from many deteriorating photo albums (some from the 1890s), sorted them, placed them into photo safe containers, scanned and now have them online. My large extended family considers me the family historian so I feel an obligations to preserve them. The only photo 'albums' I have today are my Disney scrapbooks and DS's baby and childhood ones which I am gradually converting to scrapbooks. Hopefully DS will occasionally look at them!

Last edited:
About the best use of my images during Covid years. My DS is learning to be a composer. He uses my images as part of his assignment submissions. At times, we have even taken specific images to match his music.

When his cohort have their online concerts and showcase their works, its kinda cool to see my images on screen. :)

About the best use of my images during Covid years. My DS is learning to be a composer. He uses my images as part of his assignment submissions. At times, we have even taken specific images to match his music.

When his cohort have their online concerts and showcase their works, its kinda cool to see my images on screen. :)
That's fascinating. I knew that a lot of people have used pictures as the basis for their painting, but I've never heard from someone that relates them to their music.

That's fascinating. I knew that a lot of people have used pictures as the basis for their painting, but I've never heard from someone that relates them to their music.

We've had the opportunity to "collaborate" (aka "give me some photos for xxxx") about 4 times now. I'm hoping to have another opportunity this year. :)
I really enjoy seeing the match of images to the music. It's no different to those photo vids that people put together these days and overlay with music of their choice.

We used to go the album route but archival quality albums have gotten too expensive. I still think prints are the way to go, especially in a family setting. Photo books may be the right short-term solution for cost. It's amazing how many prints from the 90s I've thrown away due to decay from bad fixer. Anything I really want to preserve, I'll do aluminum.

I have an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription so I have 2 portfolio pages - one of my trips and another of family. People I invite have access to view my images.
I also have made photo books, more in the past than now, but I make a book for my niece of her children each year because she only keeps photos on her phone, and it is overwhelming to search though thousands of photos. She appreciates it, and I am sure she will appreciate it more if her phone dies or is lost!
I have also had prints and canvas prints made of some of my best and they are hanging in my house.

I like taking photos and I have a large collection of photos and favorite pics on my PC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter