What happens after the marathon?

TMM

Mouseketeer
Hi,

I was wondering if those of you who have run any of the races in the past can give me a quick rundown on how the post race events go. My husband and I are running the marathon.

We are moving from WL to AKL after the race and I was just wondering if the post race events occur straight after the course closes. Or is there a few hours in between the races and post celebrations?

Exactly what have the post race events been in the past?

Any info would be great. Trying to decide where to book our dinner ADR for January 8th!

Thanks!

I believe there is some time. The Pleasure Island celebration starts in the early evening.

Anything else is up to you.

Different groups have their own celebrations.

Immediately post race there is food and a massage tent (for a fee). I came in late, so not sure exactly what type of hoopla happened at the finish line that might be worth hanging around for a few minutes.

Schedule form the website...

5:00 p.m. Awards Ceremony
7:00 p.m. Post Race Celebration begins
2:00 a.m. Last buses depart Downtown Disney® Pleasure Island back to Resorts.

Note the 7 hour time limit means that by 1pm the race is officially over....but for about an hour or so--non-swept participants who made it in time past the last checkpoint are still making their way to the finish line.

Thanks Lisa! I didn't see that on the website. Can you give me a link?

I attended the awards ceremony this January.

I did manage a nap after the event and before the awards ceremony.

5:00 p.m. Awards Ceremony = The absolute top winners are not present because they are the parade marshals for the 3:00 parade at MK. The lists of finishers are posted according to age groups and events. There is a table by the stage with the awards that will be presented for those who want to see them. People gather, adult beverages are available for purchase, mingling and high fives occur, awards are announced and given to the top participants in each age group and that part is completed. For me, I enjoyed this part to see what others were doing “at the front,” but I do enjoy the awards ceremonies at the race events. DH and I also met up with a wonderful couple older than we are. She is the reason I am going to do the marathon. She told me I could do it as she was accepting her award for the over 70 marathon runners. Her DH and my DH had something in common both being hip replacement recipients. It was great weather at that time and I was still on a major high from completing my first ever half marathon that it continued.

7:00 p.m. Post Race Celebration begins = The clubs are available for “free” (I believe this is the only free offering) to the participants until PI closes for those who want to stay or who arrive at whatever time for the evening. I was too exhausted to play and went to grab a bite to eat then back to the resort to sleep it all off right after the awards ceremony so I cannot attest to the celebration for the evening.

Be certain to wear your medal to the awards event and if you are staying past the day, wear it there during the week. Many will celebrate with you as you wear your medal. That is such fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter