What happents to your *GT bookings when the category you booked is gone??

Cmbar

DIS Veteran
HI All. We are on the Dec 1 magic with four cabins. Two are OGT and two are VGT. We are 13 days from travel and have not been assigned our room. However I was just on the website trying to see what rooms could still be available and I noticed that all Oceanview rooms are unavailable. They were available a few days ago.

Does anyone know what happens if a category sells out and you hold a *GT rate in that category? They couldn't put those of us that have a OGT rate in a lower category right? If they don't have any Cabins left in Ocean view they would have to place us in a verandah of some sort right? Any insight or experience with this anyone? I know I have to just wait until they assign the room for the question to be answered but man this is hard!

My understanding is they can upgrade you to a higher category, but can't downgrade you.

Your reservations counts as an Oceanview room, if they are all listed as booked that includes the rooms set aside for OGT reservations. As soon as the number of remaining Oceanview rooms is equal to the number of OGT rooms sold then they are listed as sold out.

Yes, you could be upgraded but not downgraded.

Your reservations counts as an Oceanview room, if they are all listed as booked that includes the rooms set aside for OGT reservations. As soon as the number of remaining Oceanview rooms is equal to the number of OGT rooms sold then they are listed as sold out.

Yes, you could be upgraded but not downgraded.
ok. That makes sense. So they have sold out the OGT rooms which means they have sold out all the Oceanview rooms. That is good! Thanks for the response! Glad to know we should get a Oceanview or possibly be upgraded to next level!

ok. That makes sense. So they have sold out the OGT rooms which means they have sold out all the Oceanview rooms. That is good! Thanks for the response! Glad to know we should get a Oceanview or possibly be upgraded to next level!
Not necessarily. On paper, they MAY have "sold out" Oceanview rooms. But, in reality, maybe not. Also, a reservation that booked specific Oceanview room could be upgraded, before an OGT would be, sometimes.

Booking those last minute reduced rates is a gamble. Most of the time, you're going to get exactly what you booked, sometimes not.

Not necessarily. On paper, they MAY have "sold out" Oceanview rooms. But, in reality, maybe not. Also, a reservation that booked specific Oceanview room could be upgraded, before an OGT would be, sometimes.

Booking those last minute reduced rates is a gamble. Most of the time, you're going to get exactly what you booked, sometimes not.

Yes You really have to weigh the discount to the stress! LOL I think we are all ok with whatever we get I just don't want us to not get at least Oceanview! Yes it makes sense to upgrade the people who paid more! I'm good with that! Thanks!!!

Do you know you have to log onto your reservation to see if your cabin has been assigned. Disney does not contact you.
Have a great cruise.

The last time we booked VGT we got our assignment 10 days (exactly) from sail date....It will probably show up Monday around 9 or 10 AM :)

You will almost certainly get an oceanview & not a verandah. You definitely will not get an inside, though.

Here is a link to a thread that shows what exact category rooms people who booked GT rates actually received. You can take a look at that to get an idea of what the trends are.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/l...track-of-igt-ogt-and-vgt-assignments.2919036/

Last edited:
I am new to this.. But we have a normal booking for next september.. Oceanview and we have a room number already.. which is not a OGT room correct? but OGT are basically "sale"fares where you are guarenteed a certain catagory., correct? So do they upgrade like the airlines then... basically higher fares before sale fares.. So could they upgrade me ( with guarenteed room nunmber now) before OGT??

I am new to this.. But we have a normal booking for next september.. Oceanview and we have a room number already.. which is not a OGT room correct? but OGT are basically "sale"fares where you are guarenteed a certain catagory., correct? So do they upgrade like the airlines then... basically higher fares before sale fares.. So could they upgrade me ( with guarenteed room nunmber now) before OGT??
Yes, GT fares are relatively last-minute sale fares with restrictions that allow no changes and no refunds. GT rates can be a bargain (I've used them twice for expensive holiday sailings), but the benefit lies in the cut in price, not in getting a big upgrade, which is very unlikely to happen.

On DCL, you need to book either a non-discounted/non-restricted guarantee category (GTY), or a discounted/restricted guarantee category (GT) to be eligible for upgrades. But don't expect very big upgrades (such as from inside to oceanview or from oceanview to verandah), as those very rarely happen on DCL.

Last edited:
So could they upgrade me ( with guarenteed room nunmber now) before OGT??

Any room may get upgraded. However, it is actually fairly rare despite how it sounds on the boards here. If you picked you room, you could get upgraded, most likely for a maintenance issue or for some reason DCL needs the room. GTY can be upgraded, but will most often be assigned the exact room type booked. *GT can be upgraded, but again will most likely be assigned a room within the broad category booked.

Enjoy your cruise!

So could they upgrade me ( with guarenteed room nunmber now) before OGT??
Unless there is something wrong with your room then you are getting the room you booked. Cruise lines very rarely upgrade someone spontaneously, but there may be upgrades available for purchase at port. If there are verandah rooms available on the day of your sailing it is much more likely they will try to upsell people at port than just give them away.

If there are verandah rooms available on the day of your sailing it is much more likely they will try to upsell people at port than just give them away.
Bingo. And that upsell isn't even a very hard sell with DCL. When we asked about upgrading to a verandah upon port arrival for our most recent cruise, the port upgrade price to do that was the same as it would have been to book the verandah weeks in advance. No deal at all. DCL really doesn't like to give stuff away.

Bingo. And that upsell isn't even a very hard sell with DCL. When we asked about upgrading to a verandah upon port arrival for our most recent cruise, the port upgrade price to do that was the same as it would have been to book the verandah weeks in advance. No deal at all. DCL really doesn't like to give stuff away.
You Know I often wonder why people do the "upgrade" at the port. We've asked before too but the price was the same as if we booked back home. Is it just people change their mind while at the port? Especially for us since we booked VGT before PIF date. It was one of those cruises they discounted the rooms really early , say 6 weeks at least before PIF date. We are not hoping for an upgrade, Especially those in our party that booked OGT. They don't want a verandah so its good they probably wont get one. I just wanted them to not get an inside room if DCL outsold the Oceanview category.
Thanks all for the responses! I'm hoping our cabins get assigned this upcoming week!

You Know I often wonder why people do the "upgrade" at the port. We've asked before too but the price was the same as if we booked back home. Is it just people change their mind while at the port?
On many cruiselines, a port upgrade is cheaper than booking that category originally. But with DCL that is only the case for upgrades to concierge categories.

On many cruiselines, a port upgrade is cheaper than booking that category originally. But with DCL that is only the case for upgrades to concierge categories.

This has not always been the case. In the past every category was cheaper to upgrade at the port than beforehand. Lately there have been less availability for port upgrades. Can't comment on current pricing at the port as I have not tried for a port upgrade in several cruises. But, as I said, in the past it was cheaper to upgrade at the port....even Oceanview and verandah cabins.

MJ

This has not always been the case. In the past every category was cheaper to upgrade at the port than beforehand. Lately there have been less availability for port upgrades. Can't comment on current pricing at the port as I have not tried for a port upgrade in several cruises. But, as I said, in the past it was cheaper to upgrade at the port....even Oceanview and verandah cabins.

MJ
I have tried recently and it was no cheaper to upgrade to a higher non-concierge category at the port, so I speak from experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!