What I Over Heard About Next DVC

SandyinMonterey

DIS Veteran
we were @ WDW a couple weeks ago. Family next to us just came off tour(think they already own, just adding on). Anyway, DVC Guy said next DVC resorts will be POR & adding more to GF.

we were @ WDW a couple weeks ago. Family next to us just came off tour(think they already own, just adding on). Anyway, DVC Guy said next DVC resorts will be POR & adding more to GF.
I can't imagine where they would add on at VGF unless they were to convert one of the existing outer buildings to villas instead of actually building new. It wouldn't surprise me but I guess it would end up like CCV & BRV and not like AKV where both Jambo and Kidani are all part of one DVC resort.

I can't imagine where they would add on at VGF unless they were to convert one of the existing outer buildings to villas instead of actually building new. It wouldn't surprise me but I guess it would end up like CCV & BRV and not like AKV where both Jambo and Kidani are all part of one DVC resort.
Or across the street.

Isn't that the golf course and SOG?

Unless you mean on the other side of the GF, closer to the MK?
View attachment 317401
There are several areas there they could put something but they might have to move parking. I don't know the quality of the underlying land but the debate at CR over whether they could add a second tower tells me that no one else does either. They could also move the golf course around.

The golf course is mostly in front of the Poly and wedding pavilion. It would be a very long walk from the main GF building to get to anything built there. I think, in fact, that it might be a shorter walk from the Poly's grand ceremonial house than it would be from GF's main building.

There's a parking lot across the street from the wedding pavilion and the current DVC building. The spa is located there. It's conceivable that they could build another DVC building where the spa is located, but the spa would then have to move somewhere (perhaps to the convention center building?).

The main GF parking lot is on the other side of the spa. It's conceivable that something could be built there, but they'd then have to move the main parking lot across Floridian avenue, making it a very long walk to get to the main building. I see this as an unrealistic alternative.

The golf course is mostly in front of the Poly and wedding pavilion. It would be a very long walk from the main GF building to get to anything built there. I think, in fact, that it might be a shorter walk from the Poly's grand ceremonial house than it would be from GF's main building.

There's a parking lot across the street from the wedding pavilion and the current DVC building. The spa is located there. It's conceivable that they could build another DVC building where the spa is located, but the spa would then have to move somewhere (perhaps to the convention center building?).

The main GF parking lot is on the other side of the spa. It's conceivable that something could be built there, but they'd then have to move the main parking lot across Floridian avenue, making it a very long walk to get to the main building. I see this as an unrealistic alternative.

Well they could do something like at Kidani, with the first level being covered parking spaces.

The rumors I've heard are popcorn::.....
1) The already announced Riviera Resort at Caribbean Beach Resort.
2) A 15 story high rise at the Coronado Springs Resort.
3) A 2nd Tower for Bay Lake (opposite side of Contemporary)
4) The River County Resort at the Wilderness Campgrounds
5) The new hotel at DisneyLand in California (700 room hotel)....some rooms may be DVC. (let's hope)

That's all I've heard...these are just rumors though, aside from the Riviera Resort.

5) The new hotel at DisneyLand in California (700 room hotel)....some rooms may be DVC. (let's hope)

This one is the least likely, due to the Anaheim zoning plan for the Disneyland Resort Area. There is a hard cap of 150 total timeshare units in the area plan, and to add units requires a Conditional Use Permit. There is no possible secrecy around adding units because of the hearings required. without a big change in the area plan, which Anaheim has not shown willingness to consider to date, any addition of units will be a drop in the bucket compared to demand.

Also, based on the tax credit offered for the new hotel, if units were to become DVC, it would be more likely units at existing hotels and not this new one. Again, has to do with Anaheim's overall approach to Disney and the tax credit, with the zoning plan thrown in as a cherry on top.

Disney have a lot more flexibility in Florida due to overall regulatory picture and land ownership.

I haven’t heard anything about this. Latest rumors show the River Country site as potential DVC.

This has tons of potential especially if they do the pool area right. Not a redo of River Country but lots of design cues.

We are so close to pulling the trigger on DVC but we really wish they had more non park locations besides the current three. Oh how I wish National Harbor had not gone away. They need one somewhere near Yellowstone/Grand Teton like Jackson Hole, Arizona, NYC and possibly the Texas Hill Country (where I think they should build a mega Marvel park.) If they had these along with some overseas and without the loss of value via RCI exchange we'd be much more inclined to buy in.

This one is the least likely, due to the Anaheim zoning plan for the Disneyland Resort Area. There is a hard cap of 150 total timeshare units in the area plan, and to add units requires a Conditional Use Permit. There is no possible secrecy around adding units because of the hearings required. without a big change in the area plan, which Anaheim has not shown willingness to consider to date, any addition of units will be a drop in the bucket compared to demand.

Also, based on the tax credit offered for the new hotel, if units were to become DVC, it would be more likely units at existing hotels and not this new one. Again, has to do with Anaheim's overall approach to Disney and the tax credit, with the zoning plan thrown in as a cherry on top.

Disney have a lot more flexibility in Florida due to overall regulatory picture and land ownership.

150 is better than none.

And if Disney reaaaaaaalllllllly wanted more and decided to enter the process, they'd get them in the end.

Do you know if that 150 limit is units? ie 75 2BR lock-offs, 75 1 BR and 75 studios or 150 2 BR lock-off units?

Do you know if that 150 limit is units? ie 75 2BR lock-offs, 75 1 BR and 75 studios or 150 2 BR lock-off units?
I believe it's based on how units are declared, based on how it's worded. But don't overcommit me to that.

So, to pull some highlights from the plan:

• The Disneyland Resort Specific Plan establishes five land use districts: the Theme Park District, the Hotel District, the Parking District, the Future Expansion District and District A.
  • Up to 1,000 hotel rooms from the permitted totals may be located in the Theme Park District.
  • The total number of rooms permitted within The Disneyland Resort will not exceed 5,600 rooms
  • Up to one hundred fifty (150) of the five thousand six hundred (5,600) guest rooms may be permitted as Vacation Ownership Resort units; additional guest rooms may be designated Vacation Ownership Resort units, subject to a Conditional Use Permit.
There are some specific requirements to converting existing units to Vacation Ownership Resort use, including a Conditional Use Permit. Quote from the statute, "Conversions which would significantly reduce the overall number of conventional overnight accommodations in the City for visitors shall not be allowed. The effect of the conversion on existing conventional overnight accommodations shall be quantified by means of a survey prepared to the satisfaction of the City."

The application requirements are also pretty extensive. The requirements are all in this jolly statute: $x=Advanced#JD_18.114.120']http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/anaheim/title18zoning/chapter18114disneylandresortspecificplan?f=templates$fn=altmain-nf.htm$q=[field folio-destination-name:'18.114.120']$x=Advanced#JD_18.114.120

There is ability to add up to 500 ownership units in the Anaheim Garden Walk overlay district. The new hotel being built is not in the Garden Walk area; it's in the Hotel District as defined, if I'm not mistaken. If it's on the other side of Disneyland Drive it's in the Theme Park District. The Garden Walk district is an overlay, but it includes none of the Resort or Theme Park Districts.

ETA: This is an Area plan, by the way. So the numbers, like 150 timeshare units in the Hotel Zone, 500 in Garden Walk, max 5600 units in the hotel zone, is for ALL owners, not just Disney. So if there are Marriott units there, that's part of the 150. The Good Neighbor Hotels within the zone count against cap. Etc.

Last edited:
I always enjoy hypothesizing what Disney will do next and why. My guess would be that eventually they will convert some of the buildings at the GF over to DVC. Either the 2 larger out buildings or the 3 smaller ones. My rational for this is:

1. It's much much cheaper to convert existing structures over to DVC than building a whole new structure. They are outlaying a bunch for the new DVC over by Caribbean Beach. Next it might be time to get some of that easy money.

2. DVC steals guests away from staying at deluxe resorts. As DVC membership grows, Deluxe hotel occupancy goes down. We stayed quite frequently at the Poly, Boardwalk, AKL, and Contemporary paying cash for our rooms. Now that we own DVC we have stayed there on cash exactly 0 times. We cannot be the only ones that have done this or they wouldn't have converted half the Wilderness lodge and a bunch of the Poly over to DVC.

3. Converting the GF outbuildings over to DVC shifts the burden of upkeep from Disney to DVC members. I think I read once that they way they divide maint costs up at the shared resorts is based on theoretical occupancy not actual or average occupancy. This was the reason for that they like to add the murphy bed to the DVC studios. A DVC studio at Boardwalk can theoretically hold 5 people and a hotel room there only 4.

4. Disney can many times rent the DVC rooms out for cash. Sure some of the cash rooms are to pay for cruises etc. But I bet there is still plenty of breakage and Disney does have their 2% holdback that they can rent for cash (at least I think they can).

5. Did I mention it was easy money.

We just need to figure where they are going to build the million or 2 points worth of cabins/bungalows that no body can afford to stay in. Maybe along the beach by the pool. They could put a couple of stand-alone "Honeymoon" bungalows by the wedding pavilion and rent those for 300 points per nite. (300x2)x365=219,000 points x the current asking price of VGF of $220 is a cool $48 million dollars. It doesn't really matter if anybody ever stays there either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!