What I Over Heard About Next DVC

A couple of years ago there was talk DVC around or part of Yacht Club once CBR was done. Re: DVC at POR, My bet is they won’t leap into DVC at another Moderate until they see the numbers. Just a guess though...

With the expansion of the convention center at the Yacht club, I don't think they add a DVC there.

I actually kind of doubt the CSR Tower has any DVC. With the expansion of that convention center, and the expansion of the bc/YC center, it helps them end of life the old center at the Contemporary. And that is prime real estate.

Do you know if that 150 limit is units? ie 75 2BR lock-offs, 75 1 BR and 75 studios or 150 2 BR lock-off units?

I believe lock offs are counted as 1. Right now 23 lockoff 2 bedrooms + 23 dedicated 2 bedrooms + 2 GV = 48 current.

Rumor is that DVC owns the hotel rooms in the new wing at VGC (they are listed in the dues budget). Rumor is they were built in a way to make conversion easier.

I don't believe that Yellowstone/Grand Teton is realistic due to weather plus it's difficult and expensive to get to. The airport in Jackson Hole isn't very big.

I have hunch that air travel to Jackson Hole is going to moderate a bit. Southwest expansion in Denver will be big once the expansion is done, I bet they add Jackson Hole. But...lots of folks drive in the summer. There is skin in the fall, winter and spring you know. Plus, have you been to Yellowstone in the winter? While some of it is closed the part that's open is WOW.

I'm just spitballing but Branson and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge as well. Possibly the Bay/Napa region of CA.

I have hunch that air travel to Jackson Hole is going to moderate a bit. Southwest expansion in Denver will be big once the expansion is done, I bet they add Jackson Hole. But...lots of folks drive in the summer. There is skin in the fall, winter and spring you know. Plus, have you been to Yellowstone in the winter? While some of it is closed the part that's open is WOW.

I'm just spitballing but Branson and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge as well. Possibly the Bay/Napa region of CA.
Been to Yellowstone in Winter twice. Not much open, hardly any roads are open, and you get around by snow coach or snowmobile. Jackson Hole isn't the only possible airport, try Bozeman, West Yellowstone, Cody, Idaho Falls. There already timeshares near West Yellowstone. It's really difficult to get around Yellowstone in the winter. Snowcoach only goes from Mammoth to Old Faithful and maybe between Old Faithful and West Yellowstone. Only road open year round is the road to Cooke City from Mammoth (because people live in Cooke City outside of the park) and it's hard to navigate for people not experienced in driving that. Only hotels open are Snow Lodge at Old Faithful and Mammoth Hot Springs. They limit the number of snowmobiles entering the park in the winter, too. All the other roads are closed from early November to late April. The two hotels are usually booked up solid more than six months to a year ahead of time.

we were @ WDW a couple weeks ago. Family next to us just came off tour(think they already own, just adding on). Anyway, DVC Guy said next DVC resorts will be POR & adding more to GF.

Long term disney strategy is to convert part of every resort to DVC, like how they just turned Wilderness lodge into copper creek. this does 2 things.

#1 it increases demand for the hotel room by limiting supply, therefore allowing Disney to justify the an increase in rate.

#2 move DVC rooms increases "pre sold" inventory for the next 50 years....making sure you have people at your resorts and parks regardless of the econamy

#2a cash now......versus as rooms rent for 50 years

Long term disney strategy is to convert part of every resort to DVC, like how they just turned Wilderness lodge into copper creek. this does 2 things.

#1 it increases demand for the hotel room by limiting supply, therefore allowing Disney to justify the an increase in rate.

#2 move DVC rooms increases "pre sold" inventory for the next 50 years....making sure you have people at your resorts and parks regardless of the econamy

#2a cash now......versus as rooms rent for 50 years

You forgot 3: Dues pay for maintenance on a guaranteed basis.

We were told they are seriously looking at a ski resort in New England.

I really doubt that happens. They would have to create enough points to be used year round, but then would have people mostly only interested in going during ski season. Their "seasons" would have to be Ski Time -35 points per night for a studio, Non-Ski Time - 4 points per night, or something crazy along those lines.

I really doubt that happens. They would have to create enough points to be used year round, but then would have people mostly only interested in going during ski season. Their "seasons" would have to be Ski Time -35 points per night for a studio, Non-Ski Time - 4 points per night, or something crazy along those lines.
I agree, it is highly unlikely. I think it is unlikely we'll see any major push for new offsite DVCs, except maybe some associated with the foreign Disney Parks. But I'd visit New England in the summer. I'm not a skier, and I'd use it as a base to see other sites, like Salem or Boston.

I agree, it is highly unlikely. I think it is unlikely we'll see any major push for new offsite DVCs, except maybe some associated with the foreign Disney Parks. But I'd visit New England in the summer. I'm not a skier, and I'd use it as a base to see other sites, like Salem or Boston.

I would also love to have that option, but it would still be bad business for Disney. You can book hotel rooms at some of the most family friendly ski resorts in New England for under $200 a night during the summer. Disney would have to undercut that to make it worth going.
I think that is a lot of the problem with Aulani. Even as a current owner elsewhere, I am not sure I would use my points to stay there because it makes better financial sense to rent out my points and use the cash to rent into another, cheaper beachfront property.
DVC works so well on site because it comes with on site privileges - busses, 60 day FPs, EMH. These are things that can only be had by either spending hundreds on an on property room, or a bit less for.a DVC room. Once you go off property, Disney loses that advantage and they have to price themselves differently.

I would also love to have that option, but it would still be bad business for Disney. You can book hotel rooms at some of the most family friendly ski resorts in New England for under $200 a night during the summer. Disney would have to undercut that to make it worth going.
I think that is a lot of the problem with Aulani. Even as a current owner elsewhere, I am not sure I would use my points to stay there because it makes better financial sense to rent out my points and use the cash to rent into another, cheaper beachfront property.
DVC works so well on site because it comes with on site privileges - busses, 60 day FPs, EMH. These are things that can only be had by either spending hundreds on an on property room, or a bit less for.a DVC room. Once you go off property, Disney loses that advantage and they have to price themselves differently.

Unless you plan to stay in a studio (which would be similar to hotel rooms) at AUL using DVC points, you can't find a cheaper rate for one-bedroom or larger accommodations at beachfront properties (unless you bought your contracts direct), IME.

LAX

Stopped the BWV models last week, they don't talk a lot about upcoming details much for good reason. But when pushed one rep did say he is hearing Riviera will be pretty high end quality, including the Beach area and feel. Even Flagship type when done. But we will see of course.

I never understood why they built at Vero instead of near Port Canaveral. I could see them building closer to the Port to entice cruise guests. As for Texas, I could see Galveston being a possibility if DCL continues to cruise out of there. As for the Northeast, NYC would be a place with year-round appeal and occasional tie-ins with DCL. If I were Disney, I would build in places that already had a stream of existing disney customers.

If Epcot and HS will be the biggest draws in the coming years and the boardwalk area is the hardest to book, DVC should build more in that area to capitalize on that. I know that the Riviera is supposed to do that, but IMO there's no substitute for walkability to a park no matter now nice the mode of transportation.

I never understood why they built at Vero instead of near Port Canaveral. I could see them building closer to the Port to entice cruise guests. As for Texas, I could see Galveston being a possibility if DCL continues to cruise out of there. As for the Northeast, NYC would be a place with year-round appeal and occasional tie-ins with DCL. If I were Disney, I would build in places that already had a stream of existing disney customers.

If Epcot and HS will be the biggest draws in the coming years and the boardwalk area is the hardest to book, DVC should build more in that area to capitalize on that. I know that the Riviera is supposed to do that, but IMO there's no substitute for walkability to a park no matter now nice the mode of transportation.
IMO the answer is the same for HHI and VB, they were both greedy and overly optimistic. They tried to save money on the location and thus pocket more profit and they thought it would sell because it had the Disney name. Both underperformed their expectation and projections in sales but IMO, both sold reasonably well considering their lackadaisical sales style. The lesson to me is if it wasn't for the park tie in, they wouldn't be in business. Side by side Marriott, Hilton, etc would run circles around them in sales if they didn't adapt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!