What if short 10-20 points?

Kim Gillihan

Kluvdisney
Question- I know you can get 1 x use points but you can only use those at the 7 month window, what are the options? transfering from someone?

Thanks so much, KIM

Yep, get a transfer or else hope that a cash night is available.

You could also rent a single night stay if you could find a renter and have MS link the 2 separate reservations.

You could buy more points, choose a lower cost unit, make a shorter trip... Lots of options, good luck picking one.

Are home resort point transfers available at the 11 month window or only the 7 month window? I'm also a few points short on an April 2018 reservation.

Are home resort point transfers available at the 11 month window or only the 7 month window? I'm also a few points short on an April 2018 reservation.
Transferred in points keep their UY and Home Resort advantage.

So. Example above, Kim was thinking about booking for next Spring and her home resort is AKV. If she transferrred in 30 AKV pts w/ Sept 2017 UY into her account, those points could be used along with hers to make a Spring 2018 booking within the 11 month booking.

If she transferred in 30 BWV pts w/ Sept 2017 UY, they could be used in Spring 2018 only at BWV until the 7 month window opened, then anywhere.

Borrow from following year.
For the trip I am planning dec 2019 I am using all my 2018, 19 and 20 already!! So, I just booked today for march of 2018 using banked 2016 and 2017 points.. and was wanting to see if I could consider savannah... but oh well, if I stick with standard view, I save more points for my next trip.. I just would love to stay in savannah.. don't think it will happen in 2019 either... ugh

Transferred in points keep their UY and Home Resort advantage.

So. Example above, Kim was thinking about booking for next Spring and her home resort is AKV. If she transferrred in 30 AKV pts w/ Sept 2017 UY into her account, those points could be used along with hers to make a Spring 2018 booking within the 11 month booking.

If she transferred in 30 BWV pts w/ Sept 2017 UY, they could be used in Spring 2018 only at BWV until the 7 month window opened, then anywhere.

Thanks, Ziravan.

Quick notes on transfers:

1. Because you can only transfer in OR out 1 time per year, most owners won't transfer small amounts.

2. You can bank but not borrow them. This prevents home advantage swapping. For instance, say we want to swap resorts in 2017. If you transfer me 100 of your AKV points in 2017, then we've both used up our 2017 transfer. If you could borrow points, then I could swap you back 100 of my 2018 BCV points (using both of our 2018 transfers) and then you could borrow those into 2017 and then we've effectively swapped home resort advantage for 2017. Not allowed.

3. The UY matters but not the Use month. You can transfer in points that don't align with your use month but they have to align with your UY. Real world recent example: I wanted to transfer into my June UY account someone's points from Oct '2016. Since it's now June 2017, I couldn't transfer their 2016 points into my now 2017 UY. I no longer have a 2016 UY to align with those points.

4. If you transfer into your account the same home resort and UY month, you can see the points in your account. Otherwise, member services will have to make your bookings and you'll have to keep track of them because they'll be invisible in your online account.

5. DVC bans transfers for money. They do so for two reasons. 1. Points have no monetary value. From a legal perspective, they are simply a convenient representation of your timeshare interest. It's in DVC's best legal interest to protect that fiction. 2. If transactions for money are illegal, you can't complain or seek redress with DVC if the deal goes bad. Transfers are final and you're on your own. You can't call the cops to report that you got cheated on your drug (illegal) deal. That said, transfers happen pretty routinely and DVC seems to turn a blind eye to it.

Last edited:

One time use pts purchased direct from Disney are only available at the 7 month window.

For the trip I am planning dec 2019 I am using all my 2018, 19 and 20 already!! So, I just booked today for march of 2018 using banked 2016 and 2017 points.. and was wanting to see if I could consider savannah... but oh well, if I stick with standard view, I save more points for my next trip.. I just would love to stay in savannah.. don't think it will happen in 2019 either... ugh

Didn't you just become a member? You need to buy more points! LOL. For what it's worth, I stayed savanna view once, but would not use the points for it again. We are morning people and one of our favorite things is to have coffee early on our deck and enjoy the view. The animals are not out early in the a.m. (I understand they get checked over every morning by the vet) and when they do come out, we are already out of the room until afternoon. There are plenty of viewing decks with rocking chairs all around the resort. So don't feel too bummed about not having enough points.

I give you six months before you catch a case of addonitis. Welcome to DVC.

We are morning people and one of our favorite things is to have coffee early on our deck and enjoy the view. The animals are not out early in the a.m. (I understand they get checked over every morning by the vet) and when they do come out, we are already out of the room until afternoon. There are plenty of viewing decks with rocking chairs all around the resort. So don't feel too bummed about not having enough points.

Im only a morning person at Disney and universal, and I, too like coffee on a balcony. And three times with AK savannah view I've been disappointed. Your explanation makes sense. Thanks for that.

Seeing animals from the common spaces is a lot more satisfying to me.

You don't get home resort points from one time use points. You have to find a member who has the resort you want and is willing to transfer the points to you so you can make the reservation.

Quick notes on transfers:

1. Because you can only transfer in OR out 1 time per year, most owners won't transfer small amounts.

2. You can bank but not borrow them. This prevents home advantage swapping. For instance, say we want to swap resorts in 2017. If you transfer me 100 of your AKV points in 2017, then we've both used up our 2017 transfer. If you could borrow points, then I could swap you back 100 of my 2018 BCV points (using both of our 2018 transfers) and then you could borrow those into 2017 and then we've effectively swapped home resort advantage for 2017. Not allowed.

3. The UY matters but not the Use month. You can transfer in points that don't align with your use month but they have to align with your UY. Real world recent example: I wanted to transfer into my June UY account someone's points from Oct '2016. Since it's now June 2017, I couldn't transfer their 2016 points into my now 2017 UY. I no longer have a 2016 UY to align with those points.

4. If you transfer into your account the same home resort and UY month, you can see the points in your account. Otherwise, member services will have to make your bookings and you'll have to keep track of them because they'll be invisible in your online account.

5. DVC bans transfers for money. They do so for two reasons. 1. Points have no monetary value. From a legal perspective, they are simply a convenient representation of your timeshare interest. It's in DVC's best legal interest to protect that fiction. 2. If transactions for money are illegal, you can't complain or seek redress with DVC if the deal goes bad. Transfers are final and you're on your own. You can't call the cops to report that you got cheated on your drug (illegal) deal. That said, transfers happen pretty routinely and DVC seems to turn a blind eye to it.
Wow, thank you.. that does sound way complicated!! I really appreciate it.. I will need to read this about 10 more times!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter