What is going on here?! Gasp! He Said Yes! We're Going Back! A 2019 PTR

I am here! I followed your last trip report and can't wait to hear about the planning and how the trip goes. I have to catch up but I wanted to say hi!

So, I tell him. We have some big house projects we want to do this summer, so I know we can't really splurge. I had booked a simple six-day trip at All Star Music, with free QS dining. Nothing fancy. Very low key.

He's quiet a moment, then he shrugs and says he wouldn't mind that.
The first couple trips, my DH wouldn't admit to liking going. But he has come around. Glad to her your DH is as well.

And this one for me...

screenshot_20190223-162046_chrome-jpg.385476
I seriously may need this for me!

so we could end our trip with a great experience the way we did last year with Mickey's Backyard BBQ.
I like this idea.

And then today the opening of Star Wars Land was announced for mere days before our arrival.
OH NO!!! You are not the only one who I think had this happen to them.

We specifically chose our dates for lower crowds, and we have chosen to cancel the trip because of this new information. I don't know if we'll try to reschedule for earlier in the year. That will depend on whether any discounts are offered, but as of now this trip is off. :confused3
boo.
So, we did a thing. I know, we're looking kind of silly at this point :crazy:, but we realized that if we wait to go to WDW Ashlyn will have turned 10, and Miles will have turned 3. That will significantly increase our cost. Going this year while it's going to be as cheap as it's going to get for a long while makes pretty decent sense. Right?
Paying for Miles is the one that will hurt the most! I thought when my oldest turned 10 it would be horrible. Although it does when you are on the dinning plan. Which I see you got.

I want to talk a little about hubby Micheal now. Y'all, he tells people he doesn't really like WDW. He gripes about going. But guys, when I told him I cancelled our trip a few weeks ago he was DISAPPOINTED. And when I told him the other morning that I did indeed still want to go he IMMEDIATELY said we should do it. Then, when I told him what I'd booked, it was his suggestion to go a day early and increase our park days.
Nice!

Hi everyone! I'm coming to you today for advice and/or thoughts about potential plans. Anyone up for the challenge?
I came just in time! ;)

So, my personal oppion would be to add the park days. I am all for resting and rest days, but I also like a little bit longer trip, to extend out the park days, so we don't feel like we are go go go. And I do think you have things you want to see in each of those parks. You can still have rest time.

but like you said, it is more about personal preferenence. Either way you will have a great trip!

Hi everyone! I'm coming to you today for advice and/or thoughts about potential plans. Anyone up for the challenge? I have about 6 weeks to think this through before FP+ day approaches, thus when I need to have my ticket ducks in a row.

As I've mentioned, we're considering adding an extra park day to our tickets. The dilemma is that I'm thinking of a few other options, in place of adding a park day.

I love the parks, and I would love to spend all our time there. But I've learned over the years that breaks are good. On our last trip, our non-park day was fabulous and very vacation-y.

Basically, I'm trying to weigh adding a 4th park day versus keeping that extra "off" day to give us permission to experience something else that Disney has to offer outside of the parks.

Technically, I know we have this theoretical permission already. But if we have tickets? We're going to spend our time in the parks. I know it.

Basically, here are my ideas:

***Add an extra park day to our tickets, and experience Epcot or Hollywood Studios along with 2 MK days and an AK day

***Keep the extra free day and do Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Chef Mickey's, or some other resort activity, maybe stuff at Fort Wilderness. We will already be going to Disney Springs, as we decided we definitely don't want to do 5 park days.

With an extra park day, it would look like this:
- Saturday, arrival day, relax at resort
- Sunday, head into Epcot or HS (not RD)
- Monday, RD EMH at AK
- Tuesday, RD MK, take midday break, come back for HEA
- Wednesday, break day, go to DS
- Thursday, RD MK with lunch at BOG
- Friday, departure day early

If we don't add an extra day, it would look like this:
-Saturday, arrival, relax
-Sunday, break day at DS
-Monday, RD EMH at AK
-Tuesday, RD MK, midday break, watch HEA
-Wednesday, break day, HDDR or Chef Mickey's, some other vacation-y activity
-Thursday, RD MK with lunch at BOG
-Friday, departure day early

Depending on how I work the numbers, the price between these choices is negligible. So, it's really a matter of preference. I haven't brought this up to Micheal yet, though I will. I would like to make sure I'm looking at every angle first!

Input or thoughts welcome! :welcome:

I think I like option 1 better. You are already relaxing on arrival day. Everyone is going to be itching to go to the parks. If the prices is negligible you'll get more out of a park day than the other experience. I think HS is a great park, lots of good shows to keep everyone entertained.

Joining in!

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter :hug:

Love that you casually threw the idea out to DH and he took the bait! Stinks that your original plans had to be scrapped because of Star Wars, but glad you rebooked!!

I'm always in the boat of adding park days, especially if it means getting to go to a park you didn't already have in the agenda!

My husband is the exact same way. He pretends he doesn't love it but the second we arrive he's like a little kid again. I think he's starting to realize that our kids are growing so fast and before he blinks they'll be out of the house and we won't be able to take these Disney Vacations anymore. ((Although, I'll probably still make my kids go even when they're grown with their own children))

Have you thought about doing a water park?

Oh gosh, both options sound good to me. That's not helpful though! I'd probably end up doing an extra park day, just 'cause I love the parks, but with the heat, a break day at the pool or hanging at the resort might be a better idea. But then HS has lots of fun shows and things for the kids (seriously, the Frozen show is fantastic)....I dunno! Hard decision :)

Reading your responses makes me feel like...DUH! Haha! :rotfl2:

I think adding a park day is probably the best choice. Seriously, we're going to be there for a total of 7 days. What on earth am I thinking that 3 would be enough?! :faint:

Now it's down to choosing whether to do HS or Epcot. I know earlier in the PTR I said we would skip Epcot, but gosh that's hard for me! Hollywood Studios is my least favorite park. Sigh. I'll have to think about it a little bit more. We'll see.

I'm also trying to decide where to meet the big cheese. ::MickeyMo::MickeyMo::MickeyMo I definitely want Miles to do a M&G with him, and that'll be just about the only M&G we do this trip. Ashlyn has met everyone she cares to meet, so the only way we'll stop for anyone else is if we happen to come upon someone and it "feels" right, you know?

So, do I get a FP+ for Mickey at Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom? He's meeting with Minnie at both locations currently. I think doing it at Animal Kingdom is the best use of a FP, currently. Opinions? We've never met him at either park (in fact, I think we've only ever met any of the Fab 5 at character dining experiences).

And speaking of Ashlyn, we've decided to keep this trip a secret from her. I think that'll be VERY HARD, but very fun. Here's hoping I can pull it off!

Joining in!

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter :hug:

Love that you casually threw the idea out to DH and he took the bait! Stinks that your original plans had to be scrapped because of Star Wars, but glad you rebooked!!

I'm always in the boat of adding park days, especially if it means getting to go to a park you didn't already have in the agenda!

Thank you so much! And welcome!

My husband is the exact same way. He pretends he doesn't love it but the second we arrive he's like a little kid again. I think he's starting to realize that our kids are growing so fast and before he blinks they'll be out of the house and we won't be able to take these Disney Vacations anymore. ((Although, I'll probably still make my kids go even when they're grown with their own children))

Have you thought about doing a water park?

I actually think hubby and Ashlyn would love to do a water park, but I hate them :rotfl2:. I'm not quite ready for that commitment yet :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:.

Now it's down to choosing whether to do HS or Epcot. I know earlier in the PTR I said we would skip Epcot, but gosh that's hard for me! Hollywood Studios is my least favorite park. Sigh. I'll have to think about it a little bit more. We'll see.

Epcot is our least favorite park, but I think it's because they have the lamest 'thrill' rides there. My girls love ToT & RnRC, more than the rides at Epcot. And we aren't huge SW fans but we do like the franchise. So we enjoy meeting all the SW characters. You can't go wrong with either park!

And speaking of Ashlyn, we've decided to keep this trip a secret from her. I think that'll be VERY HARD, but very fun. Here's hoping I can pull it off!

Oh fun! Keeping it a secret makes things more fun.

So, do I get a FP+ for Mickey at Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom? He's meeting with Minnie at both locations currently. I think doing it at Animal Kingdom is the best use of a FP, currently. Opinions? We've never met him at either park (in fact, I think we've only ever met any of the Fab 5 at character dining experiences).
So, if you decided to do EPCOT, you can meet Mickey there along with a few other characters. (Although, I am not sure when they are closing that down... ) But that might be a good option as well. As some of the kiddie rides in EPCOT you don't always need a FP for..

It is sooo hard to keep it a secret!!! Good Luck!

I've only done the M&M meet and greet at MK, but it was super fun. And they have such cute outfits! It's definitely a good meet.

Good luck with keeping the trip a secret!! I think it'd be so fun to be surprised by a trip :D

The M&G in Magic Kingdom is just so cute, especially in their party outfits!! I would try to do that one honestly!

Their party outfits ARE super cute looking!!!

Epcot is our least favorite park, but I think it's because they have the lamest 'thrill' rides there. My girls love ToT & RnRC, more than the rides at Epcot. And we aren't huge SW fans but we do like the franchise. So we enjoy meeting all the SW characters. You can't go wrong with either park!

Oh fun! Keeping it a secret makes things more fun.

I'm so torn about it. I definitely agree that Epcots rides aren't the most thrilling. I love the atmosphere there, though! :tilt: I'm thinking about it! :crazy:

So, if you decided to do EPCOT, you can meet Mickey there along with a few other characters. (Although, I am not sure when they are closing that down... ) But that might be a good option as well. As some of the kiddie rides in EPCOT you don't always need a FP for..

It is sooo hard to keep it a secret!!! Good Luck!

I have seriously almost slipped up a few times already. I don't know if I can make it 4 months :sad2::rotfl2:.

I've only done the M&M meet and greet at MK, but it was super fun. And they have such cute outfits! It's definitely a good meet.

Good luck with keeping the trip a secret!! I think it'd be so fun to be surprised by a trip :D

It sounds like the MK grret might be the best choice! I do love their costumes there, and we met the characters at Tusker House once so we've got some characters in the safari costumes already...

We use Touring Plans to help plan out our days. It really helps when trying not to spend time standing in line.

I am for getting the extra day on the tickets. You can always add the day later as well. One year we added it a day or after we got the the resort.

We always break in the middle of the day. We rope drop and then leave at about 11 or noon. We then swim or other activity (put-put or resort hopping) then head back at dinner and stay until closing.

We use Touring Plans to help plan out our days. It really helps when trying not to spend time standing in line.

I am for getting the extra day on the tickets. You can always add the day later as well. One year we added it a day or after we got the the resort.

We always break in the middle of the day. We rope drop and then leave at about 11 or noon. We then swim or other activity (put-put or resort hopping) then head back at dinner and stay until closing.

Do you find Touring Plans is accurate? I have a subscription but since we've always gone in lower crowds we haven't really needed to test out a TP.

I think so. We didn't follow it to a tee. If we past a ride that had a low wait time we went ahead and got in line. We never stood in line for more them about 15 minutes. We did this for the week of Labor Day and the first week of June. Not crazy times of the year crowd wise but the June trip was more crowded then Labor Day.

Food Wishes...
As I eagerly await my FP+ day (which isn't until the end of next month :duck:), I've been watching lots of Disney food videos on YouTube. Isn't social media the best for planning a Disney trip?!

I've been dreaming of all the yummy ice cream options at Magic Kingdom, in particular. I want to try every last one of these frozen treats, and it will be my personal goal to taste each of them over the course of our two MK days. Nom, nom, nom...:mickeybar:mickeybar:mickeybar

First up, the Maleficent Cone. This one isn't new, but it still looks yummy.

maleficent cone.jpg

Next up, the Peter Pan Float. Again, not new. Again, still looks yummy!

storybook-treats-peter-pans-float-reader-pic-1.jpg

I also want to try each of these, the Hei Hei Cone, the Lost Princess Cone, and the Adventure Is Out There Cone. These are all new, I think.

hei-hei-cone-and-other-colorful-goodies-coming-soon-to-magic-kingdom.jpeg

Speaking of the Magic Kingdom, I thought I'd share pictures of us at Magic Kingdom over the years. This is mostly for my own sake, and the fact that I like to see them :daisy::flower1::butterfly

Here is us in 2011 on Emma's Make-A-Wish trip. It was August, and a bazillion degrees. It was our first trip and we were NOT prepared for the heat! (we are better prepared now! :rotfl2:).

2011 trip.jpg

Next trip was in 2014. This time was in Sept., and we brought cooling towels!

2014.jpg

Next was in 2016, also September. We apparently didn't take any castle pictures this trip, so this is as close as it gets!

peoplemover.jpg

Finally, our 2018 trip. September again. Do you notice a theme? :jumping1: By now we're old pros with the heat, and we drink tons of water, have cooling towels, stick to the shade, and wear super lightweight, moisture wicking clothes!

MK_MSBRCART_20180907_413229353848.jpg

I think so. We didn't follow it to a tee. If we past a ride that had a low wait time we went ahead and got in line. We never stood in line for more them about 15 minutes. We did this for the week of Labor Day and the first week of June. Not crazy times of the year crowd wise but the June trip was more crowded then Labor Day.

That is great to know! Thanks!

I love the pictures through the years!

I also want to try each of these, the Hei Hei Cone, the Lost Princess Cone, and the Adventure Is Out There Cone. These are all new, I think.

hei-hei-cone-and-other-colorful-goodies-coming-soon-to-magic-kingdom-jpeg.392308
We had the Hei Hei Cone. Super fun! And good. But go early to get one, cause you can't mobile order it. I want to try the other ones. And the Mint Julep from Casey's corner. Not ice cream but cold!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter