What is the best surge protector out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One can be emotional and only entertain hearsay from strangers (who are speculated as friends and informed). Or one can do what is always necessary to separate lies from facts. Where is one honest fact in wirecutter.com and cnet.com? None provided. Those articles are so similar to what was broadcast on Radio Moscow from the Soviet Union. Articles order one what to think. Never once says why. And worst upon worse - it will not even discuss specification numbers.

How do those tiny thousand joules 'absorb' a surge that can be hundreds of thousands of joules? It does not have to. By failing on surges too tiny to damage any appliances, it get promoted here by the emotional.

How does its 2 cm protector parts 'block' what three miles of sky cannot? Only the emotional know otherwise.

Most only post their emotions (ie pompous) rather than realize the exact same sentence is only 100% technical (ie facts with numbers posted bluntly). Naysayer post tiny responses - also called soundbytes or executive summaries. And somehow foolishly associate their emotional attachments to honesty. That is why myths and lies live on.

Posted repeated were numbers that anyone with high school science can comprehend. But the more easily brainwashed, instead, ignore them, get emotional to deny those numbers, and intentionally ignore every professional citation. Or the so many fires crated by those near zero, magic box, protectors..

Every denial is only based in the emotions. Personal attacks (in the tradition of a lying president) replace facts with numbers.

Where does one person post a single fact that confirmed what wirecutter.com and cnet.com have posted? Yes that means the reply must quote it. Which explains so many lies - not one post with tens pf paragraphs that discuss science, facts, and numbers.

Where does wirecutter.com or cnet.com discuss any surge protectors from the so many other companies that every guy knows for integrity? They don't. Only advertising and myths from near zero joule (plug-in) protectors are parroted. Obviously those same people also knew Saddam had WMDs - when facts with numbers also said otherwise.

IEEE is quite clear about what does protection. Where did one person quote the IEEE, so many other professional sources, or research papers. No. Articles that only appeal to emotional are worshipped. Not once did the brainwashed ask for reasons why with numbers. Not once. So many here are apparently also manipulate by extremist political rhetoric. That explains so many personal attacks and no technical facts.

Elementary school science discussed how mouldy bread had maggots. Observation proved that mouldy bread breeds life - maggots. That is what someone else said. It was observed. So it must be true. Classic junk sciences.

Elementary school science discussed how stagnant water would be filled with insects. Obviously proving that stagnant water breeds life - mosquito larvae. Someone else said that. It was observed. So it must be true. Classic junk science.

My surge protector failed but an attached computer did not. Observation proved that protector worked. wirecutter.com and cnet.com said that. So it must be true. Classic junk science.

Any recommendation that does not say why using facts (ie from high school science) and does not cite numbers is the first indication of a scam. Who recites facts obviously is irrelevant. Only facts and numbers are relevant and live on their own merit. Not one naysayer has provided even one fact or number. The classic example of how easily so many can be brainwashed and why classic junk science lives on.

bcia is the classic example of someone who uses a penny to fix a fuse only because he saw it done Ignores the consequences. A classic example of a wacko extremist who knows only what the Central Committee of the Party has ordered him how to think. He rationalizes just like his hero Archie Bunker.

What to do? What to do? Read professions citations. Ignore advertising propaganda that promotes $3 power strips with ten cent protector parts selling for obscene profits. If Monster is selling the equivalent product, then it probably is a scam. Even APC admitted some 15 million protectors must be removed immediately due to so many hundreds of house fires only due to APC product alone. One can learn from professionals who say why with numbers ( https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/...ge_protector_how_else_do_you_protect/dq8qkdf/ ). Or one can automatically believe the so many brainwashed naysayers who only post emotions and personal attacks here.

If a wirecutter.com protectors is discovered in your luggage, a Disney cruise ship will probably confiscate it. Those protectors do nothing useful. And have a nasty habit of creating fires. Cruise ships take that fire threat from near zero joule protectors very seriously. Obviously a majority hear ignore such facts. Since facts constantly contradict what was the first thing they were told - also called brainwashing.

Any effective solution will always answer this question. Where do hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate? Emotional extremists will again ignore that damning question. Because a protector is only as effective as its earth ground. wirecutter.com, et al did not say that. Numbers make one angry. So brainwashing proves it must not be true.

One could post in circles -- listen to strangers on internet -- don't listen to strangers on internet.

One could endlessly castigate others for following wirecutter or cnet blindly -- despite their never having mentioned a word about either. Eh, facts don't matter anyway when propagandizing -- which is apparently best done pompously. Gives it much more gravitas and that special festive feeling one longs for at the holidays.

One could speculate wildly about others' source of information, training, education or experience -- whilst simultaneously making an oh so subtle pitch touting one's own impeccable, completely factual knowledge base - including a carefully curated collection of citations from reddit and Amazon buyer reviews. Impressively sound stuff I'm sure. That's bound to convince the masses.

One could claim numbers tell the tale best. Cambridge Analytica endorsed that idea 156% of the time.

Based on all this new information, I think I may need to get my house rebuilt so I can get some proper electrical protection installed all around.

Last edited:
Grab a drink (or three) and Google 'westom surge protector' - enjoy ;)

I get nothing. Only something close, which is postings from a company called "Weston Technology Solutions" that seems to actually recommend plug-in surge protection.

I guess I'm not qualified. I let my IEEE membership expire about 20 years ago. However, my boss let me keep a couple of IEEE standards books.

Based on all this new information I think I may need to get my house rebuilt so I can get some proper electrical protection installed all around.

Well - there is something said for proper rewiring of older homes to ground the outlets properly. But how do we separate all that from a bunch of hot air that we're getting here.

And mystery engineer here seems to cite the IEEE, which actually has multiple resources on selection/testing of plug-in surge protection devices. This isn't really meant for most of the people "reading" this topic:

Electrical surge protection devices for industrial facilities - a tutorial review
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1524552

Performance testing of Surge Protective Devices for low-voltage AC power circuits: Approach of the IEEE
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6038950

Response time and surge protective devices: Characterization in real time
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/6039735

Varistor as a surge protection device for electronic equipments
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1490158

Or the publication I read, EETimes. The article as a whole uses a lot of jargon, but in the end the author basically recommends simple surge protectors like the kind you can buy for $30. The author does mention that it may not be possible to see if a protector has failed, but he doesn't mention that many have LED indicators that turn off when the protection circuits have fried.

Surge protection—Stop fried electronics
https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1279811
The most common device uses a single TVS or MOV for each protected line. This type of unit is usually small and inexpensive. If a proper ground connection is made, they should offer protection against most transients. A disadvantage of this device is that if a large transient damages one or more of the components there often is no indication that the unit has failed, leaving the node unprotected against future transients.​

I'm not sure, you better ask westom before attempting either ;)

I like the one from Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome:

0cdf4692bf24aa783a3064b9f9bff6f7.jpg

It could also be why Tina Turner wore this metal mesh outfit. :scratchin

04_5thunderdome.jpg

Grab a drink (or three) and Google 'westom surge protector'
When one cannot think for himself, then one attacks others. As if that is proof of superiority. In an honest and technical discussion, no person is relevant. When simple technology or honesty is too difficult, then the nave post cheapshots. Cheapshots are another symptoms of one who is incapable of making honest conclusions ie even ignores numbers.

View manufacturer specification that are clearly ignored.

How pathetic is that above amazon.com recommendation? It claims to absorb 300 joules and never more than 600 joules. A number in its title says it is ineffective. If any smaller, it could only be zero joules. A surge that tiny damages nothing - except that tiny joule protector.. No problem. They are not recommending to consumers who learn. They are promoting a magic box that has three five cent protector parts. Those, who would attack the messenger, then recommend it.

How irresponsible is that recommendation? Safe plug expanders have a 15 amp circuit breaker or a fuse. This one clearly does not.

Worse - and only the educated here can appreciate this - where is the so necessary UL listing? Not only do near zero joules mean no appliance protection and potential fire. It does not even have an essential UL listing for human protection.

In late 1980s, PC Magazine published two major articles about fires created by protectors. UL 1449 was created only to address that human safety threat. And still the emotionally educated will actually recommend a protect so dangerous as to not even list UL 1449. It does not even list UL 1363 - that defines a plug expander without protector parts as safe.

How many deniers also did not know about an essential breaker or UL 1449? Probably all. Which explains personal attacks rather than specification numbers.

Deniers even recommend a product that does not meet minimal human safety standards. Just another example of what happens when consumers can be brainwashed - will recommend what they are ordered to believe - cannot think for themselves.

This is no longer about appliances protection. Nasty naysayers even recommend products that do not provide human protection. So they must post cheapshot personal attacks - since that is only what the emotional understand.

I think I may need to get my house rebuilt so I can get some proper electrical protection installed all around.
Best protection works on all electric systems from 1920 knob and tube to 2018 wiring. On all two and three wire electric. Using fuses or circuit breakers. If that was not obvious, well, most here want to argue and post cheapshots rather than learn what was routinely installed in facilities that cannot have damage - even over 100 years aso.

Your telco CO suffer about 100 surges with each storm. How often after every storm is your town without phone service for four days while they replace that $multi-million computer? Never? Exactly. Because they also do not use that pathetic and ineffective protectors. Only used is what any homeowner can installed for only $1 per appliance.

Rather than admit to being scammed by advertising, propaganda, wild speculation, hearsay, and lies from peers, the naive instead have resorted to cheapshots.

Did brainwashed consumers fail to learn about best protection is installed for free and required by code on cable TV, telephone, satellite dish, OTA antenna, and other incoming wires? Unfortunately most here want to argue rather than learn what was well understood and implemented over 100 years ago. What can easily be installed in any hone ... if only a homeowner concedes how easily scams manipulate.

900 joules means is only absorbs 300 joules and never more that 600. A scam recommendation could not be more obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!