what is the Kiss Goodnight at MK

Jasminesmommy

<font color=red>My dh pops the can for me<br><font
I have heard it happens after the park closes and has toowith the castle.

Basically it is a little goodnight thing that is done with the lights on the castle changing colors and some audio clips. It is nice if you are around to see it but I would not base my whole evening on it. They usually do it about 45 min to an hour after the park officially closes (as the Main Street shops are still open). I have seen it a few times, and it's neat if you have not seen it, but nothing to re-work your entire night around. (In my opinion)

Liberty Belle summed it all up. It will start changing colors before the park closes, so unless you teh audi is very important to you, you'll likely see it if you stay for Spectro or Wishes.

Have fun!:D

Hmmmm. I wouldn't plan my entire day at MK around it, but I wouldn't miss it either.

As I understand it, the goodnight kiss is repeated every half hour or so, beginning at a half hour to an hour before closing. The castle begins to "sparkle", and the music to "When You Wish Upon a Star" starts. As the castle changes colors, a recording talks briefly about Walt's vision for the park, Disney's hope that you had a magical experience, and wish that you have a safe journey home.

For me, its the symbolism that means so much. My family attended an e-ride night toward the end of our trip. We stayed until the park closed, and by the time we arrived at the castle, the area was quite deserted. My family and I sat down in front of the castle along with a half dozen or so others. A beautiful starlit night, surrounded by my loved ones, all content from a wonderful vacation. It sounds a bit hokey, maybe, but the goodnight kiss was a wonderful sendoff for me.

And, just the fact they do it, tells me they're sincere. It kinda reminds me of the old Red Skelton show when, at the end, he would look into the camera and tell you, "Good night, and God bless". You felt like he was talking to you, and only you.

So, I won't plan my day around it, but I'll be there for it, nonetheless.

When we were there in Oct. 2002, I tried to find a CM who would tell me if the Good Night Kiss was happening that evening and what I should look for. NO ONE would tell me ANYTHING. I guess it's a secret of some sort. I had the entertainment schedule from Steve Soares with me, but didn't even think to look on it. Sure enough, it's listed there right after Wishes.

(BTW, it didnt' happen the first night we waited, but we caught it on our last night.)

http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/

Yeah, as we walked out, a CM asked us if we enjoyed our visit. We told him we were going to get our goodnight kiss. He looked at us a little funny, and said, "Uh, well, good luck." I don't think all of them know what it is, or refer to it as such.

We saw it for the first time in June. While it is not something that the average disney visitor would appreciate.. for those of us who really GET the Disney MAGIC.. it is very worth the wait.

Our 15 yr old DD got tears in her eyes.. and said "Mom that was the kiss, wasn't it?"

It really is special. :)

In reference to the comments about CM's not knowing what it is I can honestly tell you as a 5 year CM at MK these boards were the first place I ever heard about it. I stayed late one day just to see it... It is not something that is widely known about and definetly not something that CM's are informed about... I have found that the boards are a great place to find out the "little things" that even those that are there everyday might not know about :)

No! Don't tell us these things, LibertyBelle! We look to you for guidance and wisdom! You are all-knowing, all-seeing, and, uh, sometime the source of extra FastPasses!
:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter