What is the latest I can book?

Narnia_girl

He's not a tame lion, but he is good.
We are considering a last minute, budget cruise on either RC or Carnival. They both depart one month from today. The reason we haven't book is my father is sick with cancer and I don't want to be away if he takes a bad turn. :sad1: On the other hand, I feel like we need a relaxing vacation.

So assuming I want to leave July 10, what is the latest I can book a cruise for date? And, will the rates decrease or increase between now and then?

Any suggestions for how to handle this? I have read up on my credit card's trip insurance so I think we will be protected if we had to cancel very last minute.

(Our only previous cruise experience is with Disney.)

thanks

Due to port regulations, I believe the ship manifest has to be set 72 hours before sailing. (I have also heard of some saying they booked 48 hours before sailing.) Rates will tend to increase one month out from sail date (from my observations). However, you could happen upon a steal of a deal if the ship has quite a few unsold cabins and you aren't picky. Cruise lines will start offering guarantee cabins in a certain cabin class. You cannot pick your cabin but you may get a decent rate. Also there will probably be few to no incentives (such as onboard credit, pre-paid gratuities, free specialty restaurant/drink package offers, etc...) Good luck and I hope you get to take a break. Sorry to hear about your father...

for Carnival: before 9 am the day of, by phone only.

for Royal: by noon the day before. again, phone only.

in both instances you are far more likely to be priced out or to have nothing available for your party. it pretty much never happens that you actually can snag a cabin that close. except in very specific circumstances( off season, not picky about price or accommodations, etc)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter