What is the minimum points contract you can buy into?

edk35

DIS Veteran
We are members since 2007, but our daughter and her husband (newly married) are looking into purchasing. I can't remember what the min. is? Thanks!!!

Direct, it depends on resort. It is generally 50-100 points, with 75 being the minimum for direct member perks.

Resale, it's whatever contract you buy can be your master contract regardless of size.

It's what ever DVD wants. Better to contact them for today's answer.

:earsboy: Bill

Currently stated minimums are, for new purchasers from Disney, 100 points at all resorts except OKW, SSR, Vero Beach, and Hilton Head, for which it is 50 points. Existing owners can purchase an add-on for as few as 25 points except 50 at CCV. If you did not own points before February 25, 2018, then you need at least 75 points purchased from Disney to get membership benefits such as discounts on merchandise, dining, and annual passes.

If you purchase in the resale market, there is no stated minimum but the lowest point contracts that exist are 25 points (generally points from contracts previously bought by existing members as add-ons). Low point contracts often get sold guickly in the resale market for a premium per point price.

It's whatever DVD decides when you call. There are 10 and 15 point contracts out there. Not many, but some.

It's whatever DVD decides when you call. There are 10 and 15 point contracts out there. Not many, but some.
True, there are a handful of very small under-25-point deeds out there. The smallest one I have seen issued in the last eight years was for 8 points.

But don't think Disney will sell a member a single deed with less than 25 points. Disney may issue a small deed from time to time, but it has always been in combination with another deed so that the total number of points being purchased is well above 25 points.

By the way, based on recorded sales it looks like the minimum point requirement for Copper Creek for new members is 75 points.

So if I have points already from resale then I can buy 75 direct from Disney and get the perks?

So if I have points already from resale then I can buy 75 direct from Disney and get the perks?

Today, yes, but all of the perks could change so you really don't know what they will be. The perks are used to make Disney more money, an AP discount causes people to vacation more or they buy the AP and only use a few days. Even a shopping or restaurant discount causes people to shop and eat more which makes Disney more money.

Currently stated minimums are, for new purchasers from Disney, 100 points at all resorts except OKW, SSR, Vero Beach, and Hilton Head, for which it is 50 points. Existing owners can purchase an add-on for as few as 25 points except 50 at CCV. If you did not own points before February 25, 2018, then you need at least 75 points purchased from Disney to get membership benefits such as discounts on merchandise, dining, and annual passes.

If you purchase in the resale market, there is no stated minimum but the lowest point contracts that exist are 25 points (generally points from contracts previously bought by existing members as add-ons). Low point contracts often get sold guickly in the resale market for a premium per point price.
So I own at BRV and purchases before 2016, can I buy say 25 at BLT Or Poly direct and gets membership benefits when my points at BRV expire in 2042?

So I own at BRV and purchases before 2016, can I buy say 25 at BLT Or Poly direct and gets membership benefits when my points at BRV expire in 2042?
Under the current rules you are grandfathered in until your BRV points expire. At that point, you would need to own 75 direct points to continue direct benefits.

Under the current rules you are grandfathered in until your BRV points expire. At that point, you would need to own 75 direct points to continue direct benefits.
Or whatever the new requirement is in 2042. If you had 75 points today, and assuming DVD continues to do what they've done, you'll be grandfathered in moving forward.

It depends on whether you purchased BRV direct or resale and what month and year as to whether you are grandfathered in.

Membership Extras, such as vacation options in the Disney and Concierge Collections, certain discounts, offers, and special events are incidental benefits. These incidental benefits are subject to change or termination without notice, may require the payment of a fee and cannot be combined with any other offers or promotions. Membership Extras are also subject to availability and block-out dates may apply, including high periods of demand such as Christmas and New Year’s Day. To receive any Membership Extras, purchasers must present a valid Disney Vacation Club Membership Card along with a corresponding valid photo ID. Effective February 25, 2018, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 75 Vacation Points purchased directly from DVD. Disney and Concierge Collections options are not available for ownership interests not purchased directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. after March 21, 2011, and, effective April 4, 2016, Members who have not purchased an ownership interest directly from DVD will not have access to Membership Extras.
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/media/dvc/en/hidden-pages/MEADS_02_25_18_Clean.pdf

So if you have not purchased before March 21, 2011 and buy resale only you will not be eligible for all DVC benefits. Currently you can purchase 75 points direct to become entitled to all DVC benefits. And as others have said the benefits come and go.

Effective February 25, 2018, to obtain a Disney Vacation Club Membership Card, Members must accumulate a total of at least 75 Vacation Points purchased directly from DVC.

I believe OKW is 75 points I bought in Feb and it was 50 pts and the next day that changed.

Question on resale.. I own BWV since 1999, and HHI since 2001. We now own CCV (purchased direct in Sept, 2017). IF I would buy
resale now (any resort-looking at BLT), what would be my implications on the resale? We are thinking of buying 50 points or 60/70
points at BLT. I guess I am asking would I be affected for the DVC benefits in any way since I bought so long ago/direct in the past year?

Question on resale.. I own BWV since 1999, and HHI since 2001. We now own CCV (purchased direct in Sept, 2017). IF I would buy
resale now (any resort-looking at BLT), what would be my implications on the resale? We are thinking of buying 50 points or 60/70
points at BLT. I guess I am asking would I be affected for the DVC benefits in any way since I bought so long ago/direct in the past year?
The easiest way to think about this is that you don’t carry any benefits per se; contracts do. So as long as there is a qualifying contract* (or cumulatively, contracts - though this qualification is a little less clear) within a membership, that membership will carry benefits.

Say all your current contracts (all qualifying), are Feb UY. That membership is qualified. So you could buy APs and get cheaper souvenirs.

If you bought a resale Feb UY BLT contract, it wouldn’t affect anything because that membership still has a qualifying contract in it (BWV, HHI, CCV).

Let’s say you now buy a second BLT resale contract, but with a March UY. Still, nothing changes because you still have benefits by virtue of your Feb UY Membership containing at least one membership benefits qualified contract. Your March UY membership will not affect any benefits you currently receive.

If you sell off all of your BWV, HHI, and CCV contracts, you will no longer have any membership benefits as the remaining contract in the Feb UY membership does not qualify for benefits. And your other membership (March UY) contains no qualified contracts either.

If you then add on 75 direct points to your March UY contract, that membership now qualifies for benefits because it contains a qualifying contract, and you can buy APs again and attend Member cruises.

*Only resale points purchased prior to March 21, 2011 can be used towards DCL, ABD, and Concierge Collection. Only resale points purchased prior to April 4, 2016 qualify for membership extras.

The easiest way to think about this is that you don’t carry any benefits per se; contracts do. So as long as there is a qualifying contract* (or cumulatively, contracts - though this qualification is a little less clear) within a membership, that membership will carry benefits.

Say all your current contracts (all qualifying), are Feb UY. That membership is qualified. So you could buy APs and get cheaper souvenirs.

If you bought a resale Feb UY BLT contract, it wouldn’t affect anything because that membership still has a qualifying contract in it (BWV, HHI, CCV).

Let’s say you now buy a second BLT resale contract, but with a March UY. Still, nothing changes because you still have benefits by virtue of your Feb UY Membership containing at least one membership benefits qualified contract. Your March UY membership will not affect any benefits you currently receive.

If you sell off all of your BWV, HHI, and CCV contracts, you will no longer have any membership benefits as the remaining contract in the Feb UY membership does not qualify for benefits. And your other membership (March UY) contains no qualified contracts either.

If you then add on 75 direct points to your March UY contract, that membership now qualifies for benefits because it contains a qualifying contract, and you can buy APs again and attend Member cruises.

*Only resale points purchased prior to March 21, 2011 can be used towards DCL, ABD, and Concierge Collection. Only resale points purchased prior to April 4, 2016 qualify for membership extras.

Good explanation! So, in essence, it would be stupid now to buy direct, as we are "grandfathered" in as far as benefits are concerned.. So, it would be
better for us (if we buy more points at all), to buy resale. We never use Concierge Collection or Adv By Disney. We have used DCL cruise points
once in 18 years of membership.. And, no we won't be selling any of our current points now. Will probably keep it for years to come....

Another reason to buy direct is if you want a new resort now and don't want to wait for resales to appear.

Another reason to buy direct is if you want a new resort now and don't want to wait for resales to appear.

:earsboy: Billrre

I know that this has been answered-maybe.. What is the minimum "buy in" for direct purchases at WDW only? (Not HHI, Aulaini, VB)..
We are looking at cash purchases only. I think I saw it is 25 points for current members?? And on a related note, what is the minimum "buy in"
for financing? (If we finance)... I think it is 50 points for current members???? Not sure...
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!