What is the most Ambitious Meal You ever Made in a Disney Kitchen?

NYCgrrl

DIS Veteran
Right now I've 2 rooms reserved for our Christmas trip: a club level standard/garden room at Poly (yes I like the water views but refuse to pay extra for them a 2nd time when I can see the same sights from the club lounge) and a bungalow with full kitchen.

I'd want the bungalow so I can make at least 2 holiday dinners and invite the man's FL family up....maybe I can get them off their hamburger and fries dedication. Either meal would be multi course and some courses can be made in advance and brought down w/ us. No idea if the stove is a gas and electric combo (my preference) or all electricity.

I am wondering a bit about the functionality of the bigger kitchen and hope some of youse can give insight.

TIA!

Last edited:
I've made Hungarian Goulash once which was likely the most ambitious thing I've cooked on vacation.
However, even though we always stay in villas, we rarely cook!

Right now I've 2 rooms reserved for our Christmas trip: a club level standard/garden room at Poly (yes I like the water views but refuse to pay extra for them a 2nd time when I can see the same sights from the club lounge) and a bungalow with full kitchen.

I'd want the bungalow so I can make at least 2 holiday dinners and invite the man's FL family up....maybe I can get them off their hamburger and fries dedication. Either meal would be multi course and some courses can be made in advance and brought down w/ us. No idea if the stove is a gas and electric combo (my preference) or all electricity.

I am wondering a bit about the functionality of the bigger kitchen and hope some of youse can give insight.

TIA!
Any time that I've done a holiday meal at home, the biggest challenge is the refrigerator space for all of the perishables. When I'm on vacation, I tend not to stretch my culinary skills and lean toward easy to prepare meals. Pastas, Italian bread and salad are go-to meals when I'm not in my own kitchen. An antipasti for everyone to enjoy when they arrive and a bakery dessert for afterwards. A good chianti and we're golden!

Any time that I've done a holiday meal at home, the biggest challenge is the refrigerator space for all of the perishables. When I'm on vacation, I tend not to stretch my culinary skills and lean toward easy to prepare meals. Pastas, Italian bread and salad are go-to meals when I'm not in my own kitchen. An antipasti for everyone to enjoy when they arrive and a bakery dessert for afterwards. A good chianti and we're golden!
I've a bit different attitude when I vacation with a kitchen or cooking equipment although there are frequently ops for the tried and true:).
I enjoy cooking.. it's like a cheap stone massage with a mani and pedi thrown in for good measure. Given an opportunity I try to expand on what I know. For instance we camped for several years and I used the time to make up for the backyard I don't have. Worked my Weber(s), collapsible fire pit, Coleman stove and chimney starter to the nth, grilling, smoking, poaching and stir frying, as needed. Always relaxing in between the adrenaline run.

I did Christmas dinner including a full turkey and all the sides in an OKW one bedroom villa.

Good on you and that's the way I like to roll during holidays as well!:cool2: For away meals I generally debone as much of the bird as possible so it'll cook faster and more evenly. Plus I no longer need to bring special knives.

I've a bit different attitude when I vacation with a kitchen or cooking equipment although there are frequently ops for the tried and true:).
I enjoy cooking.. it's like a cheap stone massage with a mani and pedi thrown in for good measure. Given an opportunity I try to expand on what I know. For instance we camped for several years and I used the time to make up for the backyard I don't have. Worked my Weber(s), collapsible fire pit, Coleman stove and chimney starter to the nth, grilling, smoking, poaching and stir frying, as needed. Always relaxing in between the adrenaline run.
I love to cook, too. But I prefer to challenge my skills in my own kitchen where I have chef-quality cookware and a variety of well-sharpened knives. There''s nothing worse that trying to chop ingredients with a dull knife and cheap cutting board. There would be no chance of me hauling any of that stuff to Disney, so I go with the tried & true easy meals that I know my family likes.

I love to cook, too. But I prefer to challenge my skills in my own kitchen where I have chef-quality cookware and a variety of well-sharpened knives. There''s nothing worse that trying to chop ingredients with a dull knife and cheap cutting board. There would be no chance of me hauling any of that stuff to Disney, so I go with the tried & true easy meals that I know my family likes.

Oh agreed. Dull knives are dangerous and make for more work than necessary.
Being in my own kitchen is fun but I've cooked in others down through the years: others' residences, restaurants, campgrounds, and hotel rooms so can make it through most any cooking places with relative ease. Give me a sharp knife (have whetstone, will travel), a recently calibrated digital probe thermometor, parchment paper and foil and there is little I can't do with the rest of the kitchen gear.

My "bestest" trick for cooking away from home is to accomplish as much prepwork as possible at the house. Into a soft or Fed Exed hard-sided cooler goes the seasoned protein with knife work already done if possible; pre blanched green beans (isn't the holidays w/o them on this end), washed salad greens wrapped in a dishtowel cylinder, mashed cauliflower (my regular substitute for mashed taters), homemade gravy, stock/broth or sauce bases and such make my life easier in an unknown cooking area yet still allows for a home-cooked meal. Also takes care of the want of extra fridge space;).

My "personal best away" holiday meal was not at a campground but the Marriot hotel in Baltimore Harbour. Served a 4 course meal: anti pasta platter, mounded chopped salad, turkey roulade stuffed with string beans, 'shrooms, and cranberries w/ Rachel Ray's stuffin' muffins on the side, and a bakery purchased dessert. Everything accomplished with a hotel microwave oven, rented toaster oven, hotel provided eating utensils, linen and plates (tipping is your friend) and a few bottles of apple perry. My youngest son and his then wife are still talking about that meal which inspired their DD to have me do the same for her at Disney. Might not be the same menu (OK prolly not; I do something on this level once or twice and then am ready to try something new) but I'll do most anything for DGD that doesn't include Monster High dolls what I think are "fugly" and a total waste of money. She has Ompaah for "silliness" like that; Noonie has other uses, LOL.

Last edited:
One note about the bungalow kitchen - you may want to double check the size of the oven. We only used it to cook frozen pizza and reheat some things but I remember it being smaller than the ovens in other villas we’ve stayed in.

Not sure what you’re planning on cooking but wanted to mention that I recall the oven being smaller in the bungalow.

You may already know this, in which case you can ignore :)

Last edited:
I've made butter chicken and rice at home, and reheated it a hotel room with just a microwave and fridge. Used paper plates and plastic cutlery we found in the cupboard, even though we brought our own. I wanted to curb some costs while being away every weekends for DD9 swim meets. Easier to get to bed early for those 6:30 warm up calls if you go to bed if your not fighting all the other teams of swimmers at the few places nearby. It used up stuff in my fridge with needed using soon as well.

One note about the bungalow kitchen - you may want to double check the size of the oven. We only used it to cook frozen pizza and reheat some things but I remember it being smaller than the ovens in other villas we’ve stayed in.

Not sure what you’re planning on cooking but wanted to mention that I recall the oven being smaller in the bungalow.

You may already know this, in which case you can ignore :)

Although smaller than the average home oven, it seems to have a height that is big enough for a 13 lb partially deboned turkey atop stuffing on a sheet pan. Since that size bird will serve around 8 people with a goodly amt of leftovers should be good to go. I can cook some salmon between the microwave and oven by roasting it at 275°F for a bit then nuking it to reheat; that will give joy to the pescatarians. Still unsure about the sides but I've time to figure that out.
I emailed Disney's staff to give me the ovens' specifications and power ratings to be sure.

Plans are evolving and it might be my family in attendance instead of the man's.

I've made butter chicken and rice at home, and reheated it a hotel room with just a microwave and fridge. Used paper plates and plastic cutlery we found in the cupboard, even though we brought our own. I wanted to curb some costs while being away every weekends for DD9 swim meets. Easier to get to bed early for those 6:30 warm up calls if you go to bed if your not fighting all the other teams of swimmers at the few places nearby. It used up stuff in my fridge with needed using soon as well.

Once, I get a true heads-up regarding attendance, I'll decide if we are using the on-site dishware or paper goods. There is a disposables company that I've used in the past called Caspari that tickles my "wanna be hoity-toity but not clean anything" bone.

Last edited:
Using the microwave in our 2BR Villa to reheat pizza from the Boardwalk pizza window.
I refuse to cook at all while on vacation.

Using the microwave in our 2BR Villa to reheat pizza from the Boardwalk pizza window.
I refuse to cook at all while on vacation.

That's great. We should all do our vacation to ensure maximum fun and relaxation for selves:cool:.

Do you recall if the pizza fit in whole pie or did you have to break it down into slices to reheat?

Last edited:
I’ve never once cooked anything while at WDW, even though we always stay at villas with kitchens. I have used the microwave to heat up leftovers though, and we eat breakfast in the room daily. We’re also staying in a Poly bungalow this December (for 4 of our 13 nights, the rest will be split between 2 studios) and have no plans on cooking then either...it’s vacation!

We stay at a Windsor Hills villa when we come to WDW, and I'm thinking their kitchens are a little better equipped than Poly Bungalows. However, they probably have everything basic you would need. We try to cook at least one nice meal a day and eat out the rest. We often do a fancy brunch, which the whole family seems to love: Eggs Benny, fresh fruit salad, store bought croissants with butter and homemade jam brought in our luggage. And a sparkling juice bar.

For dinners, we might do a nice pasta dish, tossed salad and garlic bread. My husband loves to grill, so BBQd chicken thighs with grilled vegetables and smashed potatoes works great, too. My challenge is usually the homemade dessert, as it's tough to gather all of the baking ingredients needed for anything complex on that front. So, something simple like a pre-baked pie shell loaded with seasonal fruit and topped with whipped cream works great in a pinch.

I agree that everyone's idea of vacation and relaxation is different. For some, that means absolutely no cooking. For our family, it would put us out of sorts to eat out every meal (not to mention putting a few stomachs in knots). We enjoy cooking together and gathering around the table. So if that's what you love to do, you should embrace it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter