What is the most breathable mask for visiting WDW

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
Trying to plan our July trip and really hoping we get to go. I'm assuming masks will be required, so we will begrudgingly wear them. What are your thoughts on the most breathable? Disposable? If fabric, what material? Do those little plastic filter things do anything? Seems like there are a lot of choices out there.

Not posting to debate the pros and cons of using the mask just trying to make the best out of the HOT, HUMID mask wearing misery.

Have you tried one on? They are miserable even in comfortable conditions. I've tried paper masks and cloth. I couldn't imagine wearing them in the hot summer.

Not trying to be a downer, but be sure to put one on before going. It will be interesting to hear the trip reports that come back! Hopefully the fewer crowds will make up for it!!

Have you tried one on? They are miserable even in comfortable conditions. I've tried paper masks and cloth. I couldn't imagine wearing them in the hot summer.

Not trying to be a downer, but be sure to put one on before going. It will be interesting to hear the trip reports that come back! Hopefully the fewer crowds will make up for it!!
I think we're going to see a lot of people removing their masks and then being confronted. Not a good time to be going to Disney, all around, I'd say.

I have some of the disposable procedure masks ( blue w/ ear loops) and the heavier disposable masks with ties. I have a lung and a half and can breathe ok with the procedure masks, not great with the tie one. I ordered the disney ones and one made in USA from Etsy. Will see how fabric ones do. Heads up when buying disposable ones, they are made in China and usually ship from there even if seller is US.

There are on Etsy some masks made of a fabric called Double Gauze. It is the fabric that baby burp cloths are made out of. The CDC recommends two layers of tightly woven cotton for masks. Double Gauze is two layers of loosely woven cotton. It would not work as well as quilting cotton but it is softer and would dry more quickly.

We are booked for mid September and having made many Sept visits, I know the heat of a Sept in FL. So I plan on researching this subject as well. Following for tips!

I wear a mask at work every day.
Personally, the cloth ones are more comfortable than the paper ones as long as you put a light piece of metal to bridge around the nose in the cloth mask.

My husband has some gaiters from buff brand. They go around your neck and you pull them up to cover you mouth and nose. No ear loops or ties. So far I like those the best for extended wear. The website has a bunch of different types and patterns.
gaiters are the best option IMO.

Personally, if masks are required, wouldn't Disney be able to provide some of the cheap disposable and durable version of masks?

For me, it's the surgical, and respirator versions that I would do the best with, and make sure that it can stay on securely everywhere you go about the theme parks, and that you could wear it for 8-10-12 hours with minimal breaks for eating and drinking when needed too.

Ok... hear me out.... what about something like this but in a tightly woven fabrics. it would keep spray out of the air and allow for easy drinking without constantly touch the mask.
Thoughts or tweaks? If bandanas are acceptable, perhaps something like this would be also.

Just tossin it out there. I suppose at some point Disney will release mask guidelines. 32E8ACB8-ED63-4691-8B5C-12B452E24B62.png

I've used bandana material, with large hair stretchy bands for ear loops. This material seems to be a tighter weave, and doubling it doesn't seem to be as onerous. The pic here is of a mask I made. It's kind of wrinkly as it was worn and I didn't wash/iron it yet :)
20200516_084323.jpg
Also, I've sewn in channels for the nose pieces so they can be removed for washing.If you're making masks, those ties from coffee bags seem to work pretty well for nose pieces. Also, you can sew a "pocket" into the mask that covers mouth/nose but not the whole mask. This could be a solution to the need for both a double layer yet keeping it as cool as possible. You can slip a piece of hepa filter in the pocket for protection, but it would probably make breathing harder for impaired lungs.

We are going to see people doing some crazy and strange !@#$ when the parks reopen. My mind reels at what peopel are going to try and wear as a "mask" :)

Interesting for sure! 😳

I see allot of the clear headband style face shield visors (similar to what medical personnel wear) being worn by grocery store staff & cashiers. I expect to see almost anything used until guidelines lay out in exactly what is actually useful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter