What is the most breathable mask for visiting WDW

The 3 ply lightweight blue disposable masks are relatively easy to breath through. Monoprice and sunjoe have decent pricing.

The N95 or KN95 masks offer the wearer more protection but are not very comfortable.

A clear plastic shield is less restrictive then a mask on the face. Amazon has all kinds available. Some are attached to sun hats & there were a few that were child specific in design.this is what I was thinking of you have protection with a hat and breathable
I've used bandana material, with large hair stretchy bands for ear loops. This material seems to be a tighter weave, and doubling it doesn't seem to be as onerous. The pic here is of a mask I made. It's kind of wrinkly as it was worn and I didn't wash/iron it yet :)
View attachment 495002
Also, I've sewn in channels for the nose pieces so they can be removed for washing.If you're making masks, those ties from coffee bags seem to work pretty well for nose pieces. Also, you can sew a "pocket" into the mask that covers mouth/nose but not the whole mask. This could be a solution to the need for both a double layer yet keeping it as cool as possible. You can slip a piece of hepa filter in the pocket for protection, but it would probably make breathing harder for impaired lungs.

I wear masks every time I go out and have several types. Do not use the ones with the plastic filter. They will filter what you breathe in, but if you're a carrier, they do nothing to filter your exhale to protect others, which is the whole point of a mask. I personally like handmade cotton masks (3 layers of fabric from a fabric store) for hot days vs. something thicker or made with felt. If neck gaiters are allowed as masks, those might be best in the Florida heat as you can get some made out of cooling fabric. It really depends on if they insist on masks or just face coverings.

I ordered the plastic face shields in case they are required for our July trip (assuming Disney is even open by then ;). They had baseball caps with detachable face shields that I got for DS (and you can flip up the visor to eat or drink) and for myself, I ordered a wide-brim hat with the face shield (also detachable). I can’t see any way they wouldn’t be allowed on flights and at establishments since they actually offer more protection than cloth, but the world has thrown me quite a few curveballs lately, so I’m just going to cross my fingers for now.

I ordered the plastic face shields in case they are required for our July trip (assuming Disney is even open by then ;). They had baseball caps with detachable face shields that I got for DS (and you can flip up the visor to eat or drink) and for myself, I ordered a wide-brim hat with the face shield (also detachable). I can’t see any way they wouldn’t be allowed on flights and at establishments since they actually offer more protection than cloth, but the world has thrown me quite a few curveballs lately, so I’m just going to cross my fingers for now.

The shield on the child’s bucket hat comes down past the chin. - almost to the collarbone. It should provide enough coverage. Worst case you could add a very lightweight face covering under it - but if it fits like it’s shown on a small child - it should be ok.

All the cashiers at the Metro grocery here wear the headband version, they appear fine, & go past the chin.

I will be following this. Going in August and will be wearing the most comfortable approved mask. People will need to be drinking water and such during the summer months, I imagine some will just walk around sipping constantly as a reason to have the mask off.

Because you mentioned it in your original post but I haven't seen it addressed elsewhere in here (if it was, I apologize): please don't use the masks with the release-type valve thing. Those are designed for situations where the person is worried about breathing in dust/chemicals but they don't need to worry about their breath going out. Unlike a situation where, say, you're sanding something and don't want gunk in your lungs but you release the valve to let out your breath and get air flow going, with a virus you want to make sure that your germs aren't leaving the mask and accidentally being transmitted to others (since with our current state of testing a lot of us could be transmitting the virus to others without even knowing we have it). Other options mentioned here are good, just avoid those.

IME, they each have advantages and disadvantages: the blue paper ones with ear elastic are lighter but consequently not quite as effective; the white N-95s that feel kind of like felt-type material can get very uncomfortable and dig into your face if you wear it for too long; gaiters/buffs are great if they stay up well for you (my nose is apparently the wrong shape and they slide down constantly!); the face shields are less onerous also a little less protective because it's only "stopping" your breath in some directions (plus they fog up!); the cloth ones offer good coverage but are heavier and are only as effective as the type of fabric you're using. The only way to know what works best for you, unfortunately, is to try them or know which types of disadvantages you're likely to tolerate the best. I'm probably going to use cloth masks at Disney because that's what I'm most used to, but I was recently gifted some blue paper ones and might take those in case the cloth are just too hot for me to stand.

I've ordered a neck gaiter made of cooling fabric to try out. I use cotton masks when I go out but I'm hoping to find a cooler option for summer.

If you are only wearing it because it is required not that you are worried about catching the virus then a mask made out of cheese cloth or chiffon would be breathable.

We wear our masks to protect others, they wear their masks to protect us. I think it’s important to remember that wearing a mask is to minimize the chance of You spreading the virus if you could have the virus and be asymptomatic. The mask is to contain what you breathe out or any sneezes you may have, to stop droplet spread. It isn’t to block the virus from your breathing it in. The only masks that will prevent that are the N95 masks worn by frontline workers.

Wearing a disposable mask or cloth mask and touching it & your face can actually be more problematic. Every time you touch a possibly contaminated surface then touch your mask or face you are risking contamination. Putting on and taking off your mask runs the same risk if your hands are not clean. It is probably more important to keep your hands clean (washing or sanitizer) and doing all you can not to touch or fidget with your mask or touch your face. In a theme park setting where people will not leave their masks on or are wearing them improperly- your best line of defense is take care of you by keeping those hands clean and maintain the six foot distance from others.

Breathable fabrics are great... lightweight definitely more comfortable, unless they are porous. Porous prevents nothing from being shared. 🙁

The 3 ply lightweight blue disposable masks are relatively easy to breath through. Monoprice and sunjoe have decent pricing.

The N95 or KN95 masks offer the wearer more protection but are not very comfortable.
I think the N95 masks are much more comfortable than the cloth masks most people are wearing though. I agree that surgical masks are moreso. N95s are available to the general public again but you have to really hunt for them. Disposable surgical masks, OTOH, I saw at Target this week.

I think the N95 masks are much more comfortable than the cloth masks most people are wearing though. I agree that surgical masks are moreso. N95s are available to the general public again but you have to really hunt for them. Disposable surgical masks, OTOH, I saw at Target this week.
I'll supply a link
https://www.snowjoe.com/collections/cleaning-disinfecting
Prices are competitive. Delivery was as promised.
Places like Amazon run out almost as fast as they get them in. Prices

My husband has some gaiters from buff brand. They go around your neck and you pull them up to cover you mouth and nose. No ear loops or ties. So far I like those the best for extended wear. The website has a bunch of different types and patterns.
I'm not sure I could handle the extra heat on my neck in the FL humidity though. Fingers crossed that this virus runs its course before our rescheduled trip in December.

I live here in Florida... and I am noticing more and more people with the face shields on... it's to hot already and the humidity is kicking in... The real feel yesterday in some parts was 109... that temperature + humidity = the real feel number....

I would not mind wearing a face shield... at least you can breathe and get some air circulation going on... and you can still drink something without taking the shield off, if you are using a straw... So for me I would go this route.. wearing a ball cap and with a face shield make more sense than trying to keep a mask on all day long... plus you can see someone face... and if everyone would wash their hands that will help as well...

I live here in Florida... and I am noticing more and more people with the face shields on... it's to hot already and the humidity is kicking in... The real feel yesterday in some parts was 109... that temperature + humidity = the real feel number....

I would not mind wearing a face shield... at least you can breathe and get some air circulation going on... and you can still drink something without taking the shield off, if you are using a straw... So for me I would go this route.. wearing a ball cap and with a face shield make more sense than trying to keep a mask on all day long... plus you can see someone face... and if everyone would wash their hands that will help as well...

I don’t think face shields are permitted at Disney.
i think a full fitting mask is the requirement.

If you wear a face shield, you are supposed to ALSO wear a face mask. The shield is there for additional coverage. Many do not follow that though.
We're going the end of this month and we ordered a bunch of neck gaiters. I've been following a lot of youtubers that report these are the best "masks" to wear in the Florida heat. There are a lot of deals on them, so don't pay more than $5 each. We're also bringing the disposable surgical masks.

I don’t think face shields are permitted at Disney.
i think a full fitting mask is the requirement.

I saw that... which is to bad...

DH and I normally don't go into the parks ( Fl Residents, & AP holders) from about mid June to the end on August, then in Sept, we will head in for dinner or something like that... It's just to hot, and humid... we have seen people passing out in the parks often, people don't gauge just hot it really is ....or how the heat and humidity will effect them, they can get can get overheated, into heat exhaustion, and god forbid heat stroke... and well as dehydrated very quickly... with adding the full on mask... is going to dry you out even faster... this is mask wearing is going to create even more problems.

I will say that here, more and more people are not wearing mask... I was at Aldi on Monday morning... there were about 15 to 20 people shopping, and only one lady shopping was wearing a mask, as well as the employees because they must... everyone was observing the distancing...

on Sunday we were at the outlet mall at the end of I-drive and really most people that we saw were not wearing mask... or if they were, they had them pulled down... so not sure what the point of wearing a mask is if you are just going to pull it down...

https://www.bocogear.com/
I’ve loved their running hats for years, so I was excited when they started making masks because they’re made from a tech/athletic fabric that breathes well and evaporates sweat quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts