What it's actually like taking a solo trip

I will admit I am a bit apprehensive about my solo trip in February. I have been many times, but never by myself. I have had a difficult year helping take care of very sick parents. My husband and daughter know that Disney makes me happy and then really wanted me to go and just focus on myself and do just what I want. I have been with my husband for 30 years and my daughter is 15, so that is at least 15 years since I have really done anything by myself! I am looking forward to it and I have booked quite a few splurges (dlxdp, Keys to the Kingdom, Wild Africa Trek, staying in a dlx resort), but I am still a bit uncomfortable and truthfully I am not really even sure why.

That sounds like a fantastic trip!

I’m sure once you get there and start touring, you won’t feel so uncomfortable and sharing pics and videos via text is a great way to feel connected and share the experience.

I did a lot of texting and sending pictures to friends that are into park touring, mainly during meal time. So, it felt like I really wasn’t lacking a dinning partner.

I will admit I am a bit apprehensive about my solo trip in February. I have been many times, but never by myself. I have had a difficult year helping take care of very sick parents. My husband and daughter know that Disney makes me happy and then really wanted me to go and just focus on myself and do just what I want. I have been with my husband for 30 years and my daughter is 15, so that is at least 15 years since I have really done anything by myself! I am looking forward to it and I have booked quite a few splurges (dlxdp, Keys to the Kingdom, Wild Africa Trek, staying in a dlx resort), but I am still a bit uncomfortable and truthfully I am not really even sure why.

I was where you are now ten years ago, I cared for my in-laws for ten years and know just how hard that is. Disney is a great place to escape and perfect for a first time solo traveler. I would say I’m probably a bit more anxious and self conscious than most and was uncomfortable at first but was surprised at how quickly I got over that. There’s so much to see and do that you don’t have time to feel awkward.

My phone has been a lifesaver. I load books onto my Kindle app and read in lines or at restaurants if I begin feeling uncomfortable.

Don’t forget to make use of the a Single Rider lines at Test Track, Expedition Everest and a Rock-n-Roller Coaster.

As a solo it’s very easy to get great seats at most of the shows last minute.

If you’re not finding availability for one at the restaurants try searching for two. The restaurants don’t really care as long as one person shows up. You won’t be charged a no-show fee for the missing person.

I was where you are now ten years ago, I cared for my in-laws for ten years and know just how hard that is. Disney is a great place to escape and perfect for a first time solo traveler. I would say I’m probably a bit more anxious and self conscious than most and was uncomfortable at first but was surprised at how quickly I got over that. There’s so much to see and do that you don’t have time to feel awkward.

My phone has been a lifesaver. I load books onto my Kindle app and read in lines or at restaurants if I begin feeling uncomfortable.

Don’t forget to make use of the a Single Rider lines at Test Track, Expedition Everest and a Rock-n-Roller Coaster.

As a solo it’s very easy to get great seats at most of the shows last minute.

If you’re not finding availability for one at the restaurants try searching for two. The restaurants don’t really care as long as one person shows up. You won’t be charged a no-show fee for the missing person.

Thank you! I am sure I will be fine once I get there!! I keep telling myself that.
I plan to use single rider for Test Track and EE, but don't do RNRC.

That is a good point about shows.

I already booked all of my dining and got everything I wanted including brunch at California Grill. I am doing a lot of great dining!

The Cali Grill brunch is amazing! I ate there solo in September and highly recommend the shrimp and grits and blueberry pancakes. I’ve heard conflicting reports but I had no problem ordering half portions.

but I am still a bit uncomfortable and truthfully I am not really even sure why.
I hope you'll post after your trip. I'll bet you lose all of your anxieties and have a great time.

I've never done the Wild Africa Trek - your post inspired me to give it a try.

I hope you'll post after your trip. I'll bet you lose all of your anxieties and have a great time.

I've never done the Wild Africa Trek - your post inspired me to give it a try.

I will post after my trip.

I figured that the tours would allow me to be somewhat social at the beginning of my trip. I have read alot of reviews that talks about people doing them solo.

If you have the opportunity, I suggest trying some solo outings prior to your trip, such as a meal, movie, concert, or play. I have found the more places I go by myself, the less self-conscious I am about it. Also, remember that these days that we may not physically be with our friends and family, but are usually just a phone call, text, or video chat away. I hope your trip is wonderful; it sounds like it is well-deserved.

I will say, as someone’s who experiences waves of introversion, I thoroughly enjoyed my “extended me time” during my most recent solo trip. I’m single with few close friends (before you go “awww”, I’m perfectly comfortable with that) so I often do a lot of things alone that most would only do with a partner or group of friends, like go out to eat or see a movie or something. Having come to really enjoy “taking myself out on dates”, this really made my trip to WDW all the more enjoyable.

It’s great to do whatever you want and at the pace you want to do it in. I feel like the one thing that can put a damper on just about any vacation with more than one person, is that almost 90% of the time, someone’s going to a contrarian about something, whether it’s a ride, an activity or a place to eat. By going to Disney solo, you eliminate that stressful noise entirely.

So, go alone and have a great time!

Too many of my female friends are too scared to do anything on their own. I don't even know if scared is the right word. They would never eat at a restaurant alone, go to a movie alone, let alone get on a plane and go to another city alone. It blows my mind. They are convinced that people will judge them for being alone. I tell them that people are too self absorbed to take notice of singles enjoying themselves.

Too many of my female friends are too scared to do anything on their own. I don't even know if scared is the right word. They would never eat at a restaurant alone, go to a movie alone, let alone get on a plane and go to another city alone. It blows my mind. They are convinced that people will judge them for being alone. I tell them that people are too self absorbed to take notice of singles enjoying themselves.

There are so many female business travelers that do all these things each and every day, and no one bats an eye. Sunday evening at the Biergarten, we were seated next to a single woman who was enjoying some time in the park before her work trip began Monday morning. We conversed some, and she also had her phone to help occupy her. It wasn’t strange in the least.

Plenty of people go around Disney by themselves, be it for their whole trip, a day, or just a few hours away from a group. No one cares. It’s absolutely normal, and absolutely fun! :thumbsup2

I will say, as someone’s who experiences waves of introversion, I thoroughly enjoyed my “extended me time” during my most recent solo trip. I’m single with few close friends (before you go “awww”, I’m perfectly comfortable with that) so I often do a lot of things alone that most would only do with a partner or group of friends, like go out to eat or see a movie or something. Having come to really enjoy “taking myself out on dates”, this really made my trip to WDW all the more enjoyable.

It’s great to do whatever you want and at the pace you want to do it in. I feel like the one thing that can put a damper on just about any vacation with more than one person, is that almost 90% of the time, someone’s going to a contrarian about something, whether it’s a ride, an activity or a place to eat. By going to Disney solo, you eliminate that stressful noise entirely.

So, go alone and have a great time!

I’m pretty introverted and happy with my own company as well. I had no idea on my first solo trip (DH had to drop out very last minute) that I’d make a habit of it but I love visiting WDW on my own. I always feel so antisocial when I read about all of the meet ups or solos who like to go to places like Biergarten to meet other vacationers but I truly prefer to keep my solo trips solo.

I was pretty terrified on that first trip but WDW is a perfect intro to solo travel. I’ve since branched out and made solo trips to NYC , DC and San Antonio. Next May I’m headed for my first try at international solo travel, heading to London!

For me the best things about being alone in a park is not feeling guilty for making ice cream and popcorn my lunch. I’m not worried about feeding anyone a proper meal. Also, I love finding a bench or quiet patch of grass and reading a book or taking a little nap right in the park. So many people have walked passed me and said “oh that’s such a good idea!”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter