What kind of poncho's?

cinderellasmom

Earning My Ears
We are going to disney the first week in October, and I anticipate some rain while we are there. I'm not a fan of the $ 0.99 ponchos in Walmart, but I am looking for something convenient. Should I wait until we arrive? Are the poncho's in the parks/resorts readily available? I have two dd, 5 & 7.

Thanks!

Yes, they are readily available. At the first hint of rain, every vendor and shop will have them. We took our own (Totes brand that came from KMart), they were about $4 for kids size and $5 for adult. I think that is about the same price as the one's at Disney (the ponchos seem to one thing they don't mark up so much....I guess they make up for it in volume!). The advantages of bringing your own is that if you choose a color other than yellow, you'll stand out in a crowd (in case your party gets separated) and if you already own ponchos. you won't have to buy another one for everyone. The advantages of buying them at the park is that until the first day it rains, you don't have to carry the poncho around with you all day. I've also heard that if your Mickey poncho gets torn, you can just take it to any of the vendors and get a free replacement.

We like to bring our own for 2 reasons. First of all, having a different color is very nice. We don't have kids yet, but I'd imagine that a different color would be even more appreciated with two little ones. It gets very hard to find people when it's just a solid sea of yellow.

Secondly, we like being able to take cheap ones so that we don't have to worry about folding them up and dragging around wet ponchos when it stops raining. We just throw them away. I'm sure you know from experience that you can never fold them back to the size they were in the package, and it's incredibly easy to just toss them in the trash.

We bring our own also. At $.99 each, you can afford to bring several per person and then just throw them away after you've used them. Plus, we liked being able to pick each other out from the sea of yellow around us...

We have our own Disney ponchos. We just carry them every day in a large size zip loc baggie and once wet, shake off really good then store in baggie until next time. It's worked great for us. Plus, I have a poncho with a black and white Mickey (no colour). I've had it for 12 years!
Laura
AKA Twinz

We used the .99 walmart ones about 6 times during this past vacation. They held up great. We also got different colors so we didnt blend in with the sea of yellow mickey ones. At night I would hang them up in the hotel and fold them up the next am and take them with us.

We kind of do both. We carry the 2 for $1.00 with us all the time in our fanny pack. We use them for pop up showers and wet ride in cool weather. We take our slightly better reusable ponchos on days that it is raining or we expect rain. We go in Winter so it is a little different weather pattern.

As for kids, my DS when he was about your kids age did not like the ponchos. They got in his way and he didn't like the way his arms felt. He was much happier in his character kid rain coat. I am sure you can find these with Disney characters at the Disney Store . The parks ponchos are cool but it would be a nightmare to try and keep up with two kids of your own that look just like everyone else.

Rain is not so bad. Put on the ponch and go have fun.

I took a thick marker and drew on the back (a smiley face), so we'd know which kids were ours.

We use both - I have several of the cheapies since they fit easliy in the backpack for just in case. If they predict heavier rain then we bring raincoats or ponchos. My girls did not like the ponchos at all - they found them difficult to manage - ymmv. Try them out at home if you get a chance. I got come disney character raincoats at KMart and we use these for the girls. I also saw some really cute princess and micky ponchos for kids at K-mart. HTH
TJ
ps - if your youngest still rides in a stroller at wdw I HIGHLY recommend bringing along a rain cover for the stroller.
Enjoy

Originally posted by Serena6010
The Disney Store has some really cute rain coats and umbrellas for sale 50% off(I was there 9/9).

We got our son the Woody Raincoat from the DS (unfortunately we got it before it was 50% off!), and the matching light up Woody Umbrella. It's so adorable and keeps him very dry! It's a little warmer than a poncho too, just in case we're in for a cold rain while we are there :)

I don't think the $5 ponchos at WDW hold up any better than the .99 cent ones at Walmart by the way. Why not buy two each of the Walmart ones.

They are SO readily available there! lol~ I planned the trip very carefully but my DH thought I was going a bit overboard at the tip of buying ponchos. Well he learned his lesson, it showered at least once everyday we were there, so I made him go out in the showers to buy them!! lol~ They were worth the $5.

Heather

I just bought 4.00 ponchos because we are tired of the .99 ones! We go in Jan and need something a little stronger. They are much thicker than the .99 ones! BTW, i got them at walmart!

alexandra uk, I was wondering the same thing, as I have a 15 month old (and a 3 year old). Maybe someone out there knows how small the ponchos come?

Originally posted by laughinplace199
alexandra uk, I was wondering the same thing, as I have a 15 month old (and a 3 year old). Maybe someone out there knows how small the ponchos come?

The ponchos at WDW would not be small enough for a 15mo - maybe the 3yo but it may be long. I did see some Disney character poncho's at K Mart that were in the 2T to 4T range. My kids were not comfortable in a poncho style raincoat until they were 7 or so. I highly suggest a rain cover for the stroller especially with a 15mo. You can probably find a small rain coat or all weather type jacket that is waterproof - and a cute hat!.

TJ

Thanks for the poncho info. I guess I'll look for some rain gear (for the kids and the stroller) before we leave. Only 11 more days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter