What phrases drive you crazy?

People calling their grandfather PopPop. It is like nails on a chalkboard for me.
That's actually my grandfather name.

There is a lot posted here that I do agree with though. Bae is at the top of my list.
That and Spinoff or S/O in a title thread. Why does everything need to be identified as a spinoff. Just own the new thread.

baby mama - it's MOTHER, you moron!
hashtag
totes jelly
baby daddy - it's FATHER, you idiot!

When people talk in abbreviations instead of actual words (for example, OMG, I totally LOL'd!).

One that has become popular at the office is "out of pocket" to mean "unavailable." For instance, "I'll be out of pocket after noon tomorrow, so I'll need you to handle the weekly conference call with the client."

I know what they mean, but I can't figure out how the phrase "out of pocket" conveys that.

Huh, I don't know if I have heard that one for that purpose. I always thought out of pocket meant you have to pay for it yourself (not covered by insurance for example.)

More unique or extremely unique or any level of uniqueness. It's binary like a 0 or a 1. Something is either unique or it is not, there is no in between (at least for the word unique).

Super (anything). As in "We had a super fun time." I see it as a lack of depth on one's vocabulary.

Huh, I don't know if I have heard that one for that purpose. I always thought out of pocket meant you have to pay for it yourself (not covered by insurance for example.)

Now, that makes sense since you keep money in your pockets. But you don't keep availability in pockets, so "out of pocket" meaning unavailable doesn't make any sense.

The first time I heard it, I thought I must have misheard. But then it became commonly used around our office. Still, I thought maybe it was an isolated thing. But I recently saw it on a list of overused business phrases (you know, "leveraged," "low hanging fruit," "right-sizing," etc.) so I think it must be out in the world at large now!

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/business-jargon-phrases/

I hate when people use bro to much.
It's no dude to me. I am perfectly happy with people using dude excesively,

One that has become popular at the office is "out of pocket" to mean "unavailable." For instance, "I'll be out of pocket after noon tomorrow, so I'll need you to handle the weekly conference call with the client."

I know what they mean, but I can't figure out how the phrase "out of pocket" conveys that.

I always thought it came from football lol

I don't think "Out of pocket" is big phrase round here. Course I might be out of the loop with the hip lingo.

For me it's one used here on the DIS many times every day... It's "Hands down." This means ;without question; easily the best. So when using it to say that Le Cellier is hands down the best steak in WDW or hands down Via Napoli is the best restaurant in the World Showcase, is not hands down. It's opinion. :goodvibes

I cannot stand "butt hurt"!!

I also hate, hate, hate the other word for "passing gas" that starts w/ "f". I can't even type it I hate it so much. LOL!

I'm also not a fan of the following:

amaze balls
baby daddy/baby mama - unless used jokingly/said ironically
boys will be boys
check yourself
fur baby
it is what it is
just sayin'
my bad
prolly (instead of probably)
sammie or sammich (instead of sandwich)
totes adorbs & totes jelly - unless used jokingly/said ironically

And in HGTV shows, whenever someone says, "But we need space for entertaining"/"This is a great space for entertaining", or when the wife looks in the master bedroom closet & then smirks at her husband/boyfriend/partner, "But where will your clothes go?"

I kinda like "cray cray" because it just fits some people so well! I also like "hot mess" because I have my days when it fits.

And I say "bless your heart" frequently.

A lot of things I don't personally say because I'm not young & hip, but I don't mind hearing the phrases from younger people like "lit" or "off the chain" - but it's something completely different when someone is trying too hard to sound cool/hip.

"Easy peasy" (then add lemon squeezy) eye roll

"Winner winner chicken dinner." What's the point?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter