What show will open the Main Street Theater? (Poll)

What show will open the Main Street Theater?

• Total voters

Luxurious_Lumiere

Mouseketeer
As we all surely know by now, WDW will be debuting a new theater off of Main Street to house live entertainment, similar to the Hyperion Theater at Disneyland. Being a theatre nerd, and working in the industry here in NYC, I find myself unable to stop speculating as to what show Disney will put in this new space.

I've listed what I think are the top contenders and why below. I know many have speculated that they will just move a copy of the Hyperion's Frozen show over to Magic Kingdom, but I doubt it. Frozen will be opening on Broadway this season, and Disney might not want two Frozen stage shows on the same coast. If you can see it on stage with the price of admission to a Disney park, then why would you pay premium prices to see it on Broadway during a trip to New York? I could be wrong, and I'm sure Disney has marketing experts analyzing that data to determine if its a smart move or not. But the following options seem more likely.

What do you think?

Hercules
So, maybe it's not the newest movie, but fans have clamored for a stage adaptation of Hercules for quite some time. Recently, Alan Menken let it slip that he was working on a stage adaptation of the musical which would excite fans. Officially, the stage version is only for licensing purposes, but we've heard that story before. (Disney frequently launches stage shows as limited runs "that are for licensing purposes only, and have no aims for Broadway." Its a smart move b/c if the show doesn't do well, like Hunchback, it isn't perceived as a failure b/c it didn't have any Broadway or theme park plans. If its a success, like Newsies, then they say "well we only thought we would license it to regional theaters, but it was SO popular we just HAD to move it Bway!"). A large custom house would also provide opportunities to depict the larger than life creatures Hercules battles, which would be difficult to stage in a standard theater.

Moana
Speaking of things that are difficult to stage in a regular theater: how bout a story that takes place mostly on the ocean? Moana is an incredible musical and still riding a wave of popularity, but the technical and space requirements creators would need to tell the story would require a huge house, likely with custom built hydraulics. Disney Theatricals is already footing the bill to completely overhaul the St. James Theatre in NYC for Frozen's Broadway outing, and I dont think they have the funds to do that to a second theatre. So Moana may never make it to Bway, a Disney park is probably our only hope. I'd love to see what a creative director like Alex Timbers or Rachel Chavkin could do to tell this story, given the proper budget, technology, and scope.

Tangled
Tangled was hugely popular, and definitely deserves an increased presence in WDW instead of only being represented with toilets. The songs are still popular, its told in a classic Disney fairytale mode, and besides Rapunzel's hair it would be relatively easy to stage. It's actually surprising this one hasn't received a stage show in the parks yet. This is an easy crowd-pleaser that would appeal to a wide audience.

Mary Poppins

There will definitely be new interest an attention on Mary Poppins when Mary Poppins Returns hits theaters next year. And the turn of the century feel of Main Street is a perfect fit for the character (you used to be able to meet her there). So why not bring one of the greatest Disney musicals of all time to Main Street? The Broadway show is long gone, and the non-union tour concluding in several months, so there will be no risk of stealing money other productions. And with a stellar production already made, it wont be hard to fit it into the new theater.

OTHERS
There are plenty of other options that Disney has previously staged and could especially be in consideration as cost saving methods (if construction runs over budget, throwing up a show they've tackled before could save some money). Newsies would mostly fit aesthetically in Main Street, but it requires a huge cast, and the dancing is so taxing that they would probably need multiple casts to perform the several show times a day. The Little Mermaid or Beauty and the Beast have both been done before, and their time in Hollywood Studios is rumored to come to an end soon. Putting either on Main Street would bring attention to the recent and upcoming live action film adaptations. I personally love Hunchback of Notre Dame, but the massive chorus they used in the recent stage version would need to be drastically cut back to be cost effective. And the issue of balancing the story's darker elements may prove challenging for a theme park.

Last edited:
To clarify for me.

Is the theatre intended for regular daily shows, like finding nemo in AK, or the Frozen show in DCA?
Or is it meant for more one off events and special projects?
Or is it unknown?

To clarify for me.

Is the theatre intended for regular daily shows, like finding nemo in AK, or the Frozen show in DCA?
Or is it meant for more one off events and special projects?
Or is it unknown?
It is expected to be a theater like the Hyperion in DCA which is where Frozen is shown.

Common sense to me would be tangled. I’ve admittedly never seen it, but I know it has a pretty good following amongst us Disney fans, and as the OP pointed out, is vastly underrepresented outside of some toilets in fantasyland

Common sense to me would be tangled. I’ve admittedly never seen it, but I know it has a pretty good following amongst us Disney fans, and as the OP pointed out, is vastly underrepresented outside of some toilets in fantasyland
Careful there - making jokes about the Rapunzel's Tower bathrooms apparently will get your posts deleted in some forums around this place (although the mod here liked your post - so it appears you're safe).

I'm assuming the space will host a "dedicated" show that runs 4-6 times a day for about 30 minutes or so. I wouldn't expect a full scale/length show, large casts or elaborate production - they're not going to give you Broadway-caliber staging for free and it'll be a scaled-down theme park show (I made the mistake of seeing Beauty and the Beast in New York before seeing the DHS version that inspired it - I was more than a little underwhelmed by the latter). What I'm more interested in at the moment are: (a) the bells and whistles that'll go into the space (I'm assuming they'll go state-of-the-art on the stage tech, which could make shows more interesting regardless of what they put up on stage); and (b) whether having a regularly running venue that pulls a few thousand people out of the park for the better part of an hour has any noticeable effect on wait times and crowds elsewhere (I'm guessing "probably not" using the shows at AK and DHS as indicators, but still curious).

Careful there - making jokes about the Rapunzel's Tower bathrooms apparently will get your posts deleted in some forums around this place (although the mod here liked your post - so it appears you're safe).

I'm assuming the space will host a "dedicated" show that runs 4-6 times a day for about 30 minutes or so. I wouldn't expect a full scale/length show, large casts or elaborate production - they're not going to give you Broadway-caliber staging for free and it'll be a scaled-down theme park show (I made the mistake of seeing Beauty and the Beast in New York before seeing the DHS version that inspired it - I was more than a little underwhelmed by the latter). What I'm more interested in at the moment are: (a) the bells and whistles that'll go into the space (I'm assuming they'll go state-of-the-art on the stage tech, which could make shows more interesting regardless of what they put up on stage); and (b) whether having a regularly running venue that pulls a few thousand people out of the park for the better part of an hour has any noticeable effect on wait times and crowds elsewhere (I'm guessing "probably not" using the shows at AK and DHS as indicators, but still curious).
Firstly, your first statement is equal parts hilarious and terrifying. I didn’t realize people had such affinity with those chamber pots.

I’ll be honest when first announced I assumed the theater was gonna be used for special events and not daily shows, but it seems from chatter around the rumor boards at large that won’t be the case. I’d wager that it’ll have very little impact on wait times but it’ll be something new to do at least.

Hercules
So, maybe it's not the newest movie, but fans have clamored for a stage adaptation of Hercules for quite some time. Recently, Howard Ashman let it slip that he was working on a stage adaptation of the musical which would excite fans.

Hasn't he been dead for over 25 years? o_O

I'd like something original like Mickey and the Magician at DLP. I'm not usually big on shows, but that one is awesome.

Maybe the Aladdin show, now that it has closed in Disneyland?

It's possible- or at least possible MK gets it at some point

I sort of feel like they will want something new at first to celebrate the new theater and the 50th anniversary though

Though I do think Mary Poppins would be a fantastic addition to the park, as she isn't represented nearly enough as she should be, I believe the show will be something completely unique to the Magic Kingdom.

I'd love to see something incorporate the park/attractions into the show itself i.e.:Mickey & friends adventuring through the Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise etc.

I imagine it will be something in a similar vein to what they do at the Hyperion Theatre in California Adventure - a smaller scale/workshop version of a musical they're taking to Broadway.

So, while I selected "Frozen" in the poll I honestly feel like it's going to be a new show we haven't seen yet or that hasn't been created yet. I'm guessing it will be 40-ish minutes in length and run 4-6 times a day depending on park hours. It will be a big capacity eater, though, that's for sure.

Firstly, your first statement is equal parts hilarious and terrifying. I didn’t realize people had such affinity with those chamber pots.
I won't get into my earlier deleted posts - but no joke - the Rapunzel's Tower bathrooms are the best in MK and possibly WDW. I half expect to find a CM in there offering towel service to dry your hands and spritzes of cologne on the way out.

I guess nothing is official - I've assumed MK was looking to add a regular venue/attraction to the park since it doesn't have that (and you can only do so many castle shows). Maybe there should be a "none" option if it's just a special events or seasonal venue. I would prefer changing things up a bit frequently and not a show that takes up residence for years in the space.

Hasn't he been dead for over 25 years? o_O

I'd like something original like Mickey and the Magician at DLP. I'm not usually big on shows, but that one is awesome.

Oh my goodness!! I meant Alan Menken. My apologies, this is what I get for typing faster than my brain is working. (maybe my food coma from thanksgiving hasn't worn off yet). Ill update the post.

Also, for anyone who might have been confused: I do believe it will be something unique to MK, and was not suggesting that an entire Broadway show will be transferring to this theater. Park shows of this nature are generally a 30 min or so truncated version of the story. What I meant by highlighting certain shows that have played Broadway or been staged before (ie: Mary Poppins) is that they already have an idea and methodology of how to put it on stage. So while they would not plop the full Bway version of Mary Poppins down, they could still incorporate staging elements like Bert tap dancing upside down on the proscenium.

Tangled gets my vote

They do already have the Tangled show at Disneyland though - not saying it can't be at Walt Disney World as well, but I feel like they will do something unique/special for the premiere show with it also being around the time of WDW's 50th

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter