What summer month would you pick?

TikiTikiFan

DIS Veteran
We always do Disneyland in the summer and debating doing another WDW trip instead since Disneyland reopening date is still in limbo which makes planning stressful.

I have pretty wide open flexibility for the summer. I could basically go anytime in June, July, or early August.

So what would you pick? Seems like the weather is rough (hot and rain) no matter what month I pick? I know we don’t have an opening date for the new Ratatouille or Guardians ride yet but any educated guesses from the WDW experts? I know the 50th anniversary is in October so hoping we’ll see entertainment return but not a deal breaker if it doesn’t.

Local here,

Yes - Hot, Humid and Thunder showers - not really getting around any of these.

So I would look for the best rate you can get - and go from there...

Check park hours - if they go back to the normally summer hours. Then you have an opportunity to head back to your resort to cool off, swim and even nap before heading back out again for the evening. or start later in the day, and go all night.

4th of July week is our favorite time to go. It's less crowded than you would think.
We've only been once around the 4th.
We did not have the crowds we expected.
We did have the heat, of course. That was the summer we stayed in a FW cabin, due to the number of people in our group, and I would not do that resort again mid-summer, though I would try FW again in winter.
I agree that earlier is better than later if you want less chance of a hurricane.

We were at Disney in early May last year and on some days it was already too hot to be enjoyable. Personally, would never go to Disney during June/July/August as those are the hottest months of the year. Disney seems to be celebrating something everytime we have been there. Not sure any of those would make any difference in when we decided to go.

We always go the 3rd week in August. Crazy (like a fox :thumbsup2) Yes, it is hot and humid and it rains, but not all day every day (the only exception was the year tropical storm Fay made landfall 3 times the week we were there). The East Coast schools are back in session, and most people stay away because it's hurricane season and it's, well, August. However, we open the parks, take a break during the hottest part of the day, hit the water parks, and close the parks at night. Best Vacations Ever! I would go as late as possible in August, right before you have to get back for school. If you go late enough you might get in on MNSSHP!

Last edited:
We usually take our trips in the summer since we plan around school & we like the heat coming from WI Winter. June tends to be our go-to month right after school gets out. Then we have the rest of the summer to enjoy activities at home.

Ah well, it’s either that or not go. I’m a teacher so I can’t take off other times of the year.

Thanks everyone for the input so far!

I'm a teacher and Disneylander, too...could you not go during spring break or winter break? I personally have only been to WDW during winter break which was warm enough for me, but my mom used to travel there often for conferences and said she wouldn't ever go in the summer unless she had to. If you have never been to a humid southern state, it's like being in a sauna. Think Disneyland in August with 110 degree heat, but add to that a wet blanket covering you. That's how my mom describes summers in Florida. She says if you really have to though, go as early in June as possible.

I have been many times in the summer and as long as you prepare yourself and crew for thunderstorms and heat you will be fine. Go early in the day, back to swim or take a nap if it showers in the afternoon and then back to the parks in the evening until close to catch the cooler temps. Any of your times are good just avoid 4th of July week as that will be more crowded.

I'm a teacher and Disneylander, too...could you not go during spring break or winter break? I personally have only been to WDW during winter break which was warm enough for me, but my mom used to travel there often for conferences and said she wouldn't ever go in the summer unless she had to. If you have never been to a humid southern state, it's like being in a sauna. Think Disneyland in August with 110 degree heat, but add to that a wet blanket covering you. That's how my mom describes summers in Florida. She says if you really have to though, go as early in June as possible.

I wish I could do Spring break! I have a dual administrative role at my university so we usually don’t get off on spring break. Winter break I’m saving for Disneyland. 🥰 My soul needs those holiday overlays! We missed them so much this year.

My son would love the waterparks so we’d make that a focus. Is everyone saying early June basically because of milder temps? I could have a foot out the door the instant school ends haha.

I think we could do the heat with lots of breaks. But then favoring in potential covid implications such as masks... miserable in heat... we had a hard time with them on the 80 degree days when we were there a two weeks ago. Not to turn this into another mask thread (please no lol!) but good to prepare ourselves for them still being a requirement/necessity.

Regular hours would be a game changer- mornings and evenings to avoid hot afternoons. Guess no one really knows what things will be like come summer. Any other planners getting twitchy about that or is it just me? 😂

We actually love going to Disney in the summer. When things are normal, we like to get up early and hit the parks at opening, return to the resort to rest and swim, and then head back out to the parks in the evening. If you plan accordingly, it really isn’t too bad. We have been in June, July, and August. It’s hot and humid all of those months, so I’d pick the time that works best for you and when you can get the best rate. I will say, I think the 4th of July is so fun in Disney. The MK fireworks are amazing! The crowds really are not bad so don’t let that be a determining factor. Whenever you go, have fun!

I have gone in mid August these past few years and was very pleased with lower crowd levels. I went late June 2018 and thought that was also a lovely trip. Yes it is extremely hot either way, but with some cooling towels and neck fans it is really not so bad. The Orlando water parks are AWESOME! I can't wait to go for my August trip, they will be sorely missed on my Jan trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!