What the heck was I thinking? Our Disney "vacation" Round 2

dez1978

DIS Veteran
Hello all! Welcome to my first attempt at a Pre-Trip report. This will be our 2nd attempt at Disney trip, and hopefully it will be less of a mess than the 1st one (may 2019), where my kids literally fought for 2 says over who was going to hold my right hand, like dad wasn't there or I don't have 2 hands.. Have kids they said... It'll be fun they said... First some introductions. I'll add pictures in another post because I'm on my computer and all my pics are on my phone lol.
First there's me, chaos coordinator, maker of magic, over planner extraordinaire. I'm a 40 yr old boy mom and Disney lover. I've wanted to go to Disney since I was little but never made it, so our trip in May was the 1st for all of us. Then there's my husband C, who isn't really a Disney fan, but plays along for me and the boys. Our oldest, A is 8 and all boy. He loves all things fast, football, speedboats, and POR's tator tots lol. He's not a fan of rides that have big drops tho so TOT and Everest were out on the first trip. Our youngest, R is 5.5 and is a goofball. He's my little thrill seeker, and also a giant kid. He weighs the same as his brother at 63 lb and is tall too.
Coming along on this trip is my Sister in law S, her husband A, and their 2 boys D (10) and N (also 5). They are big Star Wars fans, but not big Disney fans, and are just along for the ride. They don't really care for all the planning that Disney needs and are more lets just figure it out when they get there kinda people. Thankfully, they have me!

A little background. Our first trip was the last week of May, and omg, it was hot. Where we live it was in the 60's the week we left, and it was 100 every day we were there. We def were not prepared. Even the Cms commented on how it was unusually hot for that time of year, Usually by mid may its in the 80's here so when planning I thought we'd be alright. I was very wrong... 3 hours into our first day my kids were begging to go swimming. We have a pool at home kids... sigh. I planned and planned and had a touring plan, complete with directions from one ride to the next. Needless to say, things did not go according to plan. By mid day on day 1 and for the rest of the trip, we went with the FP and ADR we had and winged the rest. By day 3 even I had a melt down lol (not my proudest parenting moment). C spent most of the trip swearing never again. We managed to turn it around though (for the most part) and what the kids talk about is all the fun stuff (and the swimming). That trip we stayed at POR, (paying rack rate GASP) because 1, I didn't know any better, and 2 we couldn't really change our dates. This time I'm better prepared...

Up next: Never again... (or not)

Never Again! (or not)

We landed in STL around 1130 pm. By the time we got home around 1AM, we were already discussing a return during a cooler time of year. So much for never again lol. This time we decided on the end of January and that we'd try to talk his sister into coming along. Our kids are much better when the cousins are around because they play with them instead of tormenting each other. Aren't brothers fun???

It took a couple of tries, but we convinced them to come along, but I'm in charge of all the planning (yikes). This is our big christmas gift to their family. So after talking, and figuring out schedules, we decided on the last week in January. Now we had to decide where to stay. While we liked POR (and the tator tots) I was not a big fan of how spread out it was. On our last day we ate at Ohana and rode the monorail around the loop, so I decided next time we'd stay at the Polynesian. Remember how C said never again? Well turns out, he'd been watching the DVC channel in the room lol. Apparently he likes the idea of it, but likes Riviera.

While planning the 1st trip I found DISboards and I've learned so much from you guys! Thanks! So I got with a TA and booked our trip for Jan, at Poly, hoping for the discount that has been the last couple years. Well we all know how that turned out lol. Our original starting price point was around 13k with the dining plan, tickets and rooms. OMG!!!! Well the first round of discounts turned out to save about $800. Which is nice, but still. So some playing around, and we switched to Riviera with the 40% visa discount, bringing us down under 12k. Yay! thats more like it. So we are Booked!!! Next up, ADRs and FP!

Following along. This sounds exciting! I love how you went from never again, to we’re coming back! (And that DVC channel... the first time we went to Disney and saw DVC ads at the start of the trip we were like that’s crazy, who needs that much Disney?, by the end of the trip we were like, maybe it’s not so crazy)

Following along! I remember taking my son for the first time when he was 8 and my daughter was two and a half. It was CRAZY HOT and it definitely affected our trip and attitudes! Like your DH mine is not a big Disney fan but he has gone on three family trips in the past. The last one, he and my son came down for the last few days of our trip. It was nice because my daughter and I had four days on our own and then we had some days all together as a family.

Your boys will have a blast hanging with their cousins. And staying at the POLY! Woo HOO! Quick trip to the parks on the monorail.

Hi Joining.in...I say never again....every time....and yet here we go again.....last time 10 of us...yikes...too many...this time supposed to be 8 but DH is definetly NOT a fan...and does not want to come....gasp....hope to hear more about your trip...we have the same meltdowns too....its not all pixie dust...lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter