What to do first night/last morning at WDW???

PenguinGal

Earning My Ears
This will be our very first trip to WDW - travelling with DH and our 3 kids - 12, 14, and 17. Our arrival flight gets into Orlando at 5:45pm; departure flight leaves a week later at 1:05pm. We will be staying on property at the POFQ. What can (or should) we plan to do on our first night and last morning there? It doesn't seem worth the $$ to purchase park tickets for those days (we're considering UPH or PHP tickets), but we want to get the most out of our time there. Wondered about a late dinner at DTD on our arrival night (we will have a rental car). Is there enough time on our departure morning to do anything at all? :confused: As you can tell, I need some wisdom and perspective!

Last year we arrived late also. Checked our bags in and headed over for shopping and dinner at Planet Hollywood. Also with your departure flight. You may be able to do a Character Breakfast, a little bit of magic before leaving.
Goodluck with your planning:hyper:

Hi! WELCOME TO THE DIS!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

We like to "celebrate" our arrival with a special dinner. My kids are younger so we like to do the character dinner, Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary resort. It is alot of fun and the food is reaaly good. You can combine that with watching the fireworks from the MK from the observation deck at the Contemporary. That's if you can time this right. Also the Electrical Water Peagant goes by there late at night. DtD might be a better choice being that your kids are older. Try this site for menus:
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm

Since you will be arriving and leaving the time you are, I would suggest the PHP. Days not used never expire like the length of stay pass.
I'm sure you can squeeze in alittle park time on your departure day. On our departure day we always spend it shopping at DtD marketplace! We drive so we aren't really pressed for time.
Have fun planning!!!

Our first night we did a character dinner at the Contemporary at Chef Mickey's to get us in the mood and then we took a ride on the monorail. All the lights were on and it really got us excited for the rest of our week. We ended the trip with a character breakfast at the Grand Floridian at Park Place I believe it is called and then shopped at Downtown Disney. It was perfect! Have fun!

Our first night is usually a relaxing night (in preparation for the upcoming fun week!!).

We usually pick a restaurant like O'Hana or Whispering Canyon Cafe, or some other fun meal that is at a Disney resort. We'll have our meal, take a stroll around the resort, do some shopping, etc.

FYI - if you choose to do something like this, make sure you hang around the hotel long enough to watch the Water Pageant float by! It's really awesome, and worth the wait. Also, if you choose to eat at the Contemporary or Polynesian, you'll almost certainly be able to watch WISHES from either resort!

Our last day is usually spent soaking up the last bit of Florida sun before heading home to chilly Philadelphia. We usually pack the night before, so our last morning can be less hectic. We'll have a nice brunch at the Grand Floridian (where we'll talk about the highlights of our vacation), do any last-minute shopping, take a final ride on the monorail, and we're ready to go home.

Great suggestions!!! Hope others will continue to post. Will have a family meeting to discuss all of your ideas and see what the family wants to do. What are the chances of getting tickets to a character meal on such late notice? (Our trip is in mid-June).

We usually go to Disney about twice a year and I know the first night is usually spent just unwinding from the trip and walking the resort grounds and looking forward to the rest of the week. Maybe find a nice restaurant and bask in the glory of the week ahead. By the time you get there your usually too tired to jump right to the parks.
The last day for me is typically spent dreading returning from paradise to my job as a corporate slave working amongst the most depressing , anti-disney, no personality stiffs ever to walk the planet. But thats just me. That probably wont help you too much, but it made me feel good to say it. =D

When our kids got to be the age of yours, we felt comfortable letting them go on their own at WDW, of course they were familiar with the transportation and the whole Disney scene. Our first night, last month, the adults hit the ESPN Club, Big River Brew Co. and then PI. Having stayed at PO once, I'd consider a boat ride to DTD, a little shopping and a snack. This would be a great time to get the obligitory Mickey souveniers purchased so you could concentrate on your own fun during the week. I don't know how you're going to get much in the last day. You'll need to be at MCO by 11 am, meaning you'll leave WDW by about 10 or so. Returning the car will take some time. If you're anything like us, you'll need the morning to pack and get out of there. I'd just jam the last full day there with activities into the night then sleep in a little. I second the PHP pass idea. We're still living off Plusses left over from past trips.

Bill From PA

I don't think you'd have a problem getting reservations for a character meal at one of the resorts this far in advance. You might also check on Cirque du Soleil times....that might be fun on your first night (if seats are available and your budget permits).

It will take about 2 hrs fter you land to collect luggage, get rental car, drive to WDW, and check-in. That will put you close to 8:00pm. Do you have to deal with anytime change - or are you traveling within the eastern time zone ? I would get a meal at the resort, unpack and go to bed early so you an get a early start the next morning.

Likewise on your return, you will need at least 2 1/2 hrs to drive to the airport, return your car, and check-in for the flight home. That would have have you leaving WDW at about 10:30 or earlier. You could stay out late the night before, sleep in a little and pack and leave, or you could go somewhere nice for breakfast. If the weather is warm you could maybe take an early morning trip to the pool.

Let's say you get to POFQ around 8pm. Check in, go to your room, dump your stuff, then take the boat to DTD. Have dinner at DTD, walk around a bit, then come back to POFQ. Rest up or go to the pool (they close at midnight anyway)

Last day... character breakfast, resort hop, back to POFQ, check out and bid a fond farewell to Disney until next time.

That's what I would do.:teeth:

On arrival, unless it's one of the nights MK (or the others) are open until Midnight, you won't have time to do the parks. You're dinner at DTD sounds like a good plan, or just have a light dinner, hang out by the pool, and hit the hay for an early start at one of the parks.

As for the day you return, it's 45 min to 1 hr back to Orlando airport, plus you need 1 and 1/2 hrs check-in time, so you'd need to leave the hotel by 10 am. Again, not enough time for a park. Maybe a nice sit down breakfast where you take your time and enjoy the meal before heading out.

I wish I had your delema. Alas, I'm not going to Dis for at least a year, if not longer....sniff...

On our arrival day, we usually tend to do a nice meal at one of the hotels and then do a little shopping. We like to keep it low key and relaxing!

I would also suggest Ohanas' at the Polynesian. We tried it for the first time in October, and it is now on our "must do" list!! (We'll be eating there on our first night in July!) Then, you could go down to the beach and watch "Wishes"!

On our last day, we usually have breakfast at the Polynesian - the Tonga Toast is a definite family favorite!!! A last ride on the monorail...some last minute pin shopping...and then its time to go home!

Enjoy your trip!!!

Penguingal, I'd be tempted to just plan to check in and take a swim or check out the resort the first night. If you arrive at 5:45, on a good day, you'll be leaving the airport by 6:15 and get to POFQ around 6:45-7:00. Probably, by the time you get checked in and into your room it will getting close to 8:00. You could go to DTD for dinner, but you could also just eat there and look around and get a feel for the lay of the land. Dinner, back to the room, a swim and next thing you know it's 11! Why burn the midnight oil? Go the bed early and get ready for commando style touring early the next morning. As far as the last day, we always try to hit the outlet store just one more time. There's one about 10 minutes from DTD. They open at 10. You could stop by there for 1/2 hour or so before heading to the airport.
If you did get UPH, try to get them beginning the day after arrival. Then, if the kids really wanted to do one a little bit more the last day, If you're at the gates of the early entry park by 8AM, you could get in about 2.15 hours before you'd have to leave for the airport.

Great ideas everyone! DH and I are still pondering what to do on our last day in WDW -- our flight doesn't leave until almost 6pm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter