What to do Non-Disneyland days with Kids?

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
We're from Ontario Canada and planning a trip next summer. We'll probably spend 4 days at Disneyland parks and then do things in California, with possibly one day at Universal.

What do you suggest we do and see in LA (or area) with two kids who will be 12 and 8 when we come? Looking for a family friendly beach for one day (not too rough waters) and other things to do and see.

Huntington Beach is about 30 minutes or so away. There are plenty of restaurants near the pier . Can't talk about the surf as we just walked the beach. We stayed at 2 beach front hotels with great pools and the Pacific was to cool for us (April /May visits)

We're from Ontario Canada and planning a trip next summer. We'll probably spend 4 days at Disneyland parks and then do things in California, with possibly one day at Universal.

What do you suggest we do and see in LA (or area) with two kids who will be 12 and 8 when we come? Looking for a family friendly beach for one day (not too rough waters) and other things to do and see.

Huntington Beach is pretty nice, and they have a really nice pier and you can walk around the area.
If you or your kids like museums, in the LACMA is a pretty good museum in LA and you can stop by Millions of Milkshakes (and get a milkshake) or get a hot dog from Pinks. The Getty is also pretty good too. (LA) Or The Discovery Cube (there is one in LA & one in OC)

California Science Center. It's mostly free, but the Space Shuttle requires an inexpensive timed ticket.

Santa Monica Pier has carnival rides and games and the beach is wide and sandy. Much further drive from Disneyland though than Huntington Beach though. You can rent bikes etc and there is a nice Boardwalk from SM beach to Venice beach. The la Brea Tarpits and Peterson Car museum are close and interesting to kids if you are visiting LACMA. You can do Warner brothers studio tour or the universal backlot tour at Universal.

Tar pits/LACMA/Petersen is a pretty sweet combo, and something different from the beach. If you're more outdoorsy, I'd suggest a day in Griffith Park, including the planetarium and Walt Disney's model train barn.

great Wolf lodge/ legoland/ knotts berry farm/ wild animal park / angels mlb game/ medical times / Huntington Beach/ San Diego / midway carrier / so many more I am missing

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely noting items. Funny as I started this thread awhile ago but yet I still don't have much planned for our LA days. As a note, we will probably start our trip at Disneyland, then rent a car and switch to a hotel in LA somewhere.

As a kid I did go to Knotts Berry farm and it was fun, but we're already going to Disneyland (probably 4 days) and Universal Studios (1 day) so think that's enough amusement parks. Having said that, the Santa Monica Pier looks like a good option. Can you swim there too?

Yeah...have heard great things about San Diego Zoo but unless we fly out of San Diego, don't think we'll head up there.

I looked up some of the places mentioned above...
- Tar Pits Museum could be interesting and does Griffith Park.
- Are LACMA and Getty art museums? I think that would bore my kids.
- My kids would definitely go to Millions of Milkshakes....and DH and me too...lol.
- Is Huntington Beach swimable for kids? i.e. not rough waters

A couple other questions...if we visit Universal Studios for a day, is it still worthwhile to go to Warner Brothers? Both seem really neat (although it may end up being pricey with everything)...but then Warner Brothers is only 2hrs (but looks very cool).

What about Hollywood Blvd area? Could you make a day there? And/or Rodeo drive?

One more question from my own research. How is Crescent Bay? Is it swimmable and fun for a day? It looks pretty and calm.

Hollywood Blvd, is pretty sleazy area. Only nice place is the El Capitan and Chinese Theatres.
Huntington Beach is a nice wide beach and the waters are not rough especially in the summer. It may even be warm enough to swim. (The water is cold along California coast).
Tar Pits a nice but a very short visit is all that is needed.

For kids your age: Griffith Observatory, California Science Center, Natural History Museum, La Brea Tar Pits, Aquarium of the Pacific. Maybe a harbor cruise or a visit to Catalina Island. Your youngest may be too young to appreciate WB studios.

Thanks for the replies.

What about any tours (that wouldn't bore kids)? I'd like to see/do LA things rather than indoor activities, museums, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

What about any tours (that wouldn't bore kids)? I'd like to see/do LA things rather than indoor activities, museums, etc.

Since I'm local I don't really know much about tours but this one is supposed to be kids oriented:
http://www.yourlatours.com/kids-rule-la.html

A couple more suggestions: whale watching, movie at the Disney-Owned El Capitan Theatre, Huntington Library (great botanical gardens!), Palm Springs Aerial Tramway (further afield)

We just got back from a LA/Disneyland trip. We had an amazing time. My boys (9, 7 & 2) actually liked LA more than I thought they would. Here is what we did:

LA Zoo: Nice zoo, but nothing special. We only went here because it was one of the only attractions open on Thanksgiving.

Natural History Museum & California Science Center: They are right next door to eachother. Between the two, you can easily spend the entire day there. If I could do it over again, I would start with the Science Center (more kid friendly) and spend more time there then go over to the NHM to see the dinosaurs and other cool things. By the time we got to the Science Center and saw the Space Shuttle Endevour (needs a timed ticket for $2 each at box office or online), my kids were tired and ready to go.

La Brea Tar Pits: Super awesome! The Page Museum isn't very big. We got there at opening and it took us 45 mins to see everything. Do the free tour if you can time it right. My 9 year old was amazed by everything they showed and talked about.

Hollywood Walk of Fame: Our hotel was about a 5 min walk to here, and we felt we couldn't be in LA and not do the Hollywood thing. It is very crowded with a lot of people I didnt feel comfortable having my kids around. I told my husband I wanted to go back in the morning, so we went at 7:30 am and it was empty! We stopped by the mall to get Starbucks and walked along the Walk of Fame, taking tons of pics with stars, infront of the Chinese Theater, Kimmy Kimmel studios, etc. I think you would only spend 1-2 hours there.

Medieval Times: My husband took our 9 yr old and they loved it! With the coupon code I found, it cost $90 (including tip). Worth it for how much fun they both had.

Knotts Berry Farm: We actually loved this place. Yes its not Disney standards, but it has actual roller coasters! The longest wait we had was 5 mins. We were deciding between Knotts and Universal, and Knotts won out becuase of price (it was about a third of the cost Universal would have been). But the awesome roller coasters, having no lines, the cute kitchy towns and panning for gold (the highlight of the trip for my 7 yr old), we ended up being very happy with our choice. My boys want to go back again!

I wish we would have had time to see the Griffith Observatory and to do a beach day, but we just couldn't fit it in. Also, we had previously done San Diego in 2015, and loved it. The zoo is beyond awesome! But I would advise against Legoland. My boys (who LOVE legos) disliked Legoland so much, they asked to go back to the hotel room early.

My kids are now 10 & 7. We go to LA twice a year from Chicagoland (Feb & Oct). We spend 4 days in & around LA before heading to DLR. Everyone above had GREAT tips - I'll try not to duplicate them, as really, you can't go wrong. Favorites of my kids were Pinks Hot Dogs (funny - you can also get them inside Universal!), Sweet! Candy Shop at Hollywood & Highland Shopping mall - yes, it's a mall, but the Dolby theater is there (Oscars), and the El Capitan Theater is right there, great view of Hollywood Sign from the mall too. What's the most awesome part about Sweet!? The make-your-own chocolate bar. it's a FANTASTIC $7 souvenir. Go to sweetlosangeles.com. It's not too far a drive from Pink's, the mall has 2-hour free parking with stamped receipt. It is one of the largest, most unique, most entertaining candy stores I have EVERY been to. We basically go every trip.

La Brea Tar pits were kind of a bust for us, the only thing on the list kids didn't love. But, look at TripAdvisor, other sites for reviews & pictures.

We did the short hike up to the "Bat Cave" - Bronson Cave Trail. If you google it, look for 'bronson caves', there are many sites dedicated to it, and posted directions - literally step-by-step (follow them - the entrance is at the end of a very long, residential street!). It is only a ~1/4 mile "hike", which in the summer, will be HOT - no shade along the short walk, with very little elevation! My kids (and husband) LOVED, LOVED this!! Not too bad of a hike, got to see the "batman Bat Cave" - they are HUGE fans of the Adam West series, and there's an AWESOME view of the Hollywood sign. Seriously fun stop. Also, not too far from the above spots!

The LA Farmer's Market is fantastic for lunch - TONS of options. (The Original Farmer's market on google). Greek - Italian - Hot dogs - pizza - middle eastern fare, seriously something for everyone! Note - some are CASH ONLY!

Here is our newest, NUMBER 1 Trip activity, which we hope to do EVERY single trip it was that awesome ... Duffy Boat rentals. Seriously. in October, we rented for the first time in Long Beach. What it is is a 12-person electric boat, you rent in 2-hour segments. You give them a driver's license, they give you quick instruction. It couldn't be easier, seriously. You are allowed food, beverage, alcohol, pets. We planned a noon-2 rental in Long Beach, we stopped at a Ralph's (grocery store), purchased made-to-order sandwiches, grabbed some Sangria, drinks, salads, and out we went after the quick tutorial. I was the driver, we had my husband, 2 kids, & in-laws. It took me 5 minutes of getting used to it before I felt like I wouldn't crash into the million dollar yachts we were navigating around. We rode up & down the canals, then out into a large bay just opening to the pacific, parked that boat & enjoyed a lunch out on the water while we literally watched life sail around us. It was fun, relaxing (Except the first 5 minutes), kids got out on the water in a new way, in-laws could have their noon cocktails, kids had a BLAST looking over the side of the boat looking for jellyfish (all kids under 12 mandatory life jackets, btw). I loved, loved, loved it. The cost was ~$160 for 2 hours. SO WORTH IT. After LA traffic, and noise, and being around people, it was so lovely being out on the water. It was definitely one of the most unique activities we have done in 16 trips over the last 10 years to LA with the kids. This just made me so, so happy.

Duffy boat rentals are definitely available in Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, and Long Beach. PM me if interested and I can give you the contact information of the one we used - the customer service was spectacular, and I think he services all 3 beaches.

If you find yourself near LAX, stop at Randy's Donuts on Manchester. It looks like a dive (it's a walk-up window, or drive-thru), but it is an iconic LA location, and the donuts do NOT disappoint. Seriously some of the best donuts I have ever had. Kids love the HUGE donut on top of the building. Park, walk-up to the window, take some pics in the parking lot & enjoy. Delicious!

I tell all my friends with kids who are looking for things to do with kids - check out the website nobackhome ... she's got facebook/instagram feeds too. She is a mom with a 5 or 6 year old, who does tons of day trips in & around LA. TONS of ideas!

Beaches - We like Silver Strand State Beach. You go over the Coronado Bay Bridge in San Diego & drive several miles south. It is uncombed, so it has seaweed & kelp everywhere. Bring bug spray if you go. The waters are a tad rough - not too rough that my kids won't frolic, but be prepared to get knocked down due to varying waves! The draw? SHELLS everywhere. Sand Dollars too. We spend hours here each trip looking for Sand Dollars & shells for the kids collections. They love it. What we've come back with is amazing shell-wise. I can't stress enough how many shells there are. And Sand Dollars. We go in Feb & Oct, but I imagine during summer, many people will be there for the same purpose.

Also Beaches - for a super calm beach for swimming, "Baby Beach" at Dana point. That's what it is called if you google it. Yelp/Tripadvisor have a TON of photos. It is in a protected bay, so little to no waves AND the water is warmer than the open ocean. My littler one loves this because he can play right at water's edge with his sand toys without fear of getting knocked on his tukas. The 10-year old (a swim team girl) thinks it is awesome she can swim pretty far out (there are bouys, and it doesn't get very deep out at the far end - maybe 4/5 feet), whereas at other beaches, I don't let her go much deeper than her waist!

Sorry for the long post, but we've tried so many different things, these are our most favorites!!

heybets30, thanks so much for the post. No need to "apologize" for the long post...super helpful. We will have the same number of days in LA, so definitely need ideas. Thank you.

My kids would love that candy store. Have noted it....and the donut shop too. To ours kids (and my husband), it's all about the treats..lol.

Thanks for the note about La Brea Tar Pits. It's on our list of options. Once we tell our kids, we'll see if they find it interesting.

Not sure a hike will be a good option end of August, but good for not so hot times of the year.

My husband would love the farmer's market. Totally his kind of thing.

Sounds like you all had a such a fun time renting the Duffy Boats. Certainly different.

Thanks...have noted down Silver Strand State Beach. If I searched on the right one, it's about 3hrs away, right?

Can I ask where you stay when you come? I'm having a hard time deciding, especially without knowing the area and LA is so huge.

Frozen2014, we ALWAYS stayed at Ramada - now Grand Legacy. We always had "premium" rooms, they were bigger, newer remodels than the regular/deluxe rooms. In Feb 2017, we stayed at HoJo - kids loved it, I was surprised, added 2 minutes to our walk ... so Grand Legacy was 7 minutes to checkpoints, HoJo was like 9 at our pace to security. Our last stay at Grand Legacy in 2016, we were disappointed that they were talking getting rid of free breakfast (sounds like it is gone, just a snack bag now), and that parking was $15 per car!! We actually lucked out last visit, on a fluke I looked up rooms, left the site, then I got an email saying something like ... "you looked at a room, how about free parking if you book it?" So we did. But, with the 5th open too, traffic was a nightmare even at like 11:30pm, the pool - I think - is still the best of the walking-distance hotels. HoJo was nice for younger kids, the splash park (for the first time ever too, it was pretty chilly to be in the water), the separate pool was ok, but no zero-depth entry at HoJo.

Honestly, we'll be traveling with a total of 10 people this time, so we're renting a house. First time trying that avenue, but our co-travel family has rented a house at WDW and loved it. We'll be 1 mile away from DL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter