What to do on arrival day-Flight lands 2pm LAX-staying near doger stadium

cruisnfamily

DIS Veteran
We arrive for our vacation at LAX at 2pm on a Saturday in November, our hotel is near Dodger Stadium, I imagine we will be checked in by 3pm? Wondering what to do for the rest of that day? Something low key, perhaps some minor sightseeing and a good meal for dinner? Any recommendations? We will not have a car.

DAY SIX Podcasts of Things to Do Around Disneyland -- you might find some interesting ideas here.
If you are willing to use Uber/Lyft:
The California Science Center isn't too far away -- the Space Shuttle Endeavor is on exhibit there.
Little Tokyo isn't far away -- good food, Japanese American Museum, Geffen Contemporary Museum, Arts District not far from there (great food!)
Disney history: the Tam O'Shanter restaurant isn't too far away, either -- this was one of Walt's favorite places -- ask to see Walt's table!
The Americana is in Glendale -- again, not too far away -- very nice outdoor mall (the trolley was designed by someone who worked for Disney) with restaurants, shops, movie theater.

Some minor sightseeing could be visiting Olvera Street and Chinatown, which are fairly close to the Dodger Stadium. Since you won't have a car, using Uber or Lyft would make things easier for you. Note that since you'll be here in November, it starts getting dark around 5/6pm, so keep that in mind. The LA Live area has a lot of dining options, or you can go to Phillipe (home of the original french dip sandwich), although that is a deli, not a nice restaurant. Another option is to take Uber/Lyft to the Tam O'Shanter, which is the Scottish style restaurant that Walt Disney used to frequent when his studios were in Glendale.

If you want to stay close to the hotel/Dodger Stadium area, you could check out the Griffith Park area for great hiking trails, the carousel, travel town, the Zoo, Autry museum, views of the Hollywood sign and the Observatory. My favorite restaurant in that area is Home in Los Felix. You can easily get a Uber or Lyft in that area or there are busses all over that area. There's also the Dodger Express shuttle that goes between the stadium and Union Station (right next to Olvera Street) but I think it only runs around game times.

Thanks for the replies!

I know there is a restuarant called Guisados just down the block that is supposed to be great so we may try that, but I'm hoping to find like one attraction that is walking distance....I will have to look into China Town.

Thanks for the replies!

I know there is a restuarant called Guisados just down the block that is supposed to be great so we may try that, but I'm hoping to find like one attraction that is walking distance....I will have to look into China Town.
China Town has some great food these days -- do you like Nashville Hot Chicken? Look into Howlin' Rays in China Town. ALWAYS a long line because it's that good (and hot!).

China Town has some great food these days -- do you like Nashville Hot Chicken? Look into Howlin' Rays in China Town. ALWAYS a long line because it's that good (and hot!).
If we went to china town to eat....wouldn't we want to eat chinese food?

Any thoughts on Guisados?

Any attractions within walking distance that anybody can recommend?

If we went to china town to eat....wouldn't we want to eat chinese food?...
Chinatown in L.A. has become a hot spot for all kinds of trendy food -- much of which is not Chinese, although older Chinese restaurants are still there. Real estate there was affordable, so whoever could buy in, did. Just because it's called Chinatown, doesn't mean that all the restaurants are Chinese. Some places in that area: Philippe's (claim to have invented the French Dip) -- a classic L.A. restaurant, Majordomo -- very hot right now, Howlin' Rays -- always a long line, Little Jewel of New Orleans, etc. You'll have lots of surprising choices. The best Chinese food around is now in the San Gabriel Valley, not Chinatown, which isn't close to Dodger Stadium.

Last edited:
When I stayed downtown for the LA Marathon, I took the subway to Hollywood Blvd. and saw a movie at the El Capitan Theater and walked around the front area of the Chinese Theater. Not sure when in November you'll be there, but they sometimes have classic Disney movies playing there when there aren't any major releases out and November 22, Frozen 2 comes out. It's an incredible place to see a movie. Not sure how close you are to a subway station from your hotel.

Its not super close to Dodger Stadium, but the LA Farmer's Market/Grove was one of our favorite stops on our trip. I think its open until 9pm. Great food.

Beverly Hills was a lot of fun, and there was some affordable dining options around too, to my surprise. We enjoyed window shopping and even walking the streets of the Flats neighborhood to admire the homes. We also enjoyed the West Hollywood scene, but it wouldn't be ideal for kids.

We didn't have a car either so we used Uber to go everywhere. Worked out fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts