What to do with a whole pork leg roast?

bclydia

<font color=00b7c6>Prone to Random Strong Opinions
Help!!!
I have a huge -22lb- whole leg of pork, bone in that I don't know how to cook.
It still has the rind and fat cap. I am having several families over for dinner on Saturday and want to serve this for dinner.
I have looked at several recipe sites but have yet to find a recipe for this kind of roast.
I need to know what to do to get the crackling and if I should glaze it and what with? I can only guess that a roast that size will take about 8 hours to cook.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks so much!

did you get any help for this? I think you need to take the skin off and score the fat, but I've never cooked such a big joint (I don't think it would fit in my oven!)

I couldn't fit this in my regular oven, although I'm betting a smoker or grill would do just fine.
I live in an old colonial house, so I would bone it, tie it & throw it on a spit & roast over the hearth fire! :rotfl:

You can ask your butcher for help, those guys usually know a whole lot about cooking meat and for a fee he may even dress it for you

Jean

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter