What to do with one solo day in LA area?

Hannahinwonderland

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

So my DL trip is this week!!! and I am so excited. I have never been to southern california and at the end of my trip, I'll have one day free, on my own, to explore. I am considering going to Universal Studios but I am a frequent visitor at the Orlando location so unsure if it is worth it. I won't have a car, so I think it'll be hard to see a lot without a tour? I really don't know. Does anyone have any thoughts? For context, I'm a mid twenties female.

Other than USH, what are your interests? Will you be based in Anaheim? Would you be willing to rent a car for one day? The answers to these questions will help us tailor our suggestions for you.
If you want to stay close to DLR and like theme parks, you might want to spend a day at Knott's Berry Farm. Or you could go shopping -- there are shuttles from various resort hotels that go to South Coast Plaza (high end mall in Costa Mesa -- about half an hour south of DLR). There is the ARTIC center about 10 minutes east of DLR -- from there you could take public transport into L.A. or Hollywood.
Let us know what you like and we'll come back with more suggestions!

Hannah, Our trip timing matches yours. We did consider a one day bus tour to Hollywood and the SM and Venice beaches but decided we didn’t want to spend 10 hours on a bus. If I was solo I might have done it. We have a car for part of our trip so we are going to drive to Huntington or Laguna Beach instead one day.

Before we hit Disney, we had a day and a half in the LA area, however, we got a late start so you could almost consider it one day...lol. It was our first trip and we had a car which obviously made it easier. There’s a lot to do and it’s overwhelming, but this is what we managed to fit in:

The Grove and Farmer’s Market
Supreme (for my son)
La Brea Tar Pits (just the outside, not the museum)
Brady Bunch house
Filming location for The Office
Filming location for Parks & Rec
Santa Monica Pier
Grifith Park for a quick view down below
Rodeo Dr
A little cruising around thru the ritzy neighborhoods

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!