What Were They Thinking?

I like Lizzo's style; she accepts who she is and doesn't wear clothing designed by Omar the Tentmaker; still wish she'd lose weight for her health's sake.

Gwen Stefani's shell dress weighed a lot and had an odd shaped skirt. Fortunately, she has no hips or butt and thus could carry it off with ease. Reminded me of Carmen Marc Valvo designs of the late 90s.

Ariana Grande's dress on the other hand was a tour de force of haute couture construction techniques. Wouldn't be worn by the average person or even the average princess (if that wasn't an over the top take on Cinderella, I don't know what is) but then that was the point.

Noted two artists wearing Stuart Weitzman OTK boots and one was Alicia Keys. Got to find a picture and see which heel height she went with. Those multi colored high heeled boots and matching bustier she wore later were smoking. Could and have seen similar looks on young'uns during the weekends. Also the "Accidental Icon" but she's in a place I wish I had the nerve to emulate.

I enjoyed most of the guys who dared to wear color and parody various genres.

Great show from a fashion standpoint from my POV.

Last edited:
Goodness, I should have looked closer at the color. I was probably distracted by how many seats the dress occupied. 😊
One of the dresses she wore was green. She actually wore six dresses. No, I wasn't glued to the t.v. and counting. I just read about it on the 'Net. I watched about 30 seconds of a "production number" when I turned on the t.v. That's all I could stomach.

I missed most of them because I don't watch the red carpet or the show, just the performances on YouTube. But I love Billie Eilish's aesthetic and her reasoning behind it, and Lil Nas X in the pink cowboy suit was certainly.... memorable. I can't decide if it was better or worse than the holographic-print one he performed in.

Camila Cabelo has fabulous fashion sense, and I can't believe Gwen Stefani still looks so much like a Barbie doll after all these years.

A pp was correct; the most out-there fashion statements are done to attract attention, and often (counterintuitive as it may seem) as a shield to hide behind on unscripted occasions. I've been a costumer for decades now, I know whereof I speak on this point.

Personally, I don't think it is ever a wise choice to pick an outfit that wears the person, rather than the other way around, unless it is a true theatrical costume and the person remains in character whilst wearing it.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think Cardi B looked beautiful. I'm not a fan of her fashion choices but I think her dress was one of the best of the night.

If you only know Billy Porter from his red carpet fashion, you're really missing out on an incredible talent -- and from all accounts a very compassionate human being. All that talent might explain why he's only an O away from the EGOT.
Relax - I'm not assassinating anybody's character here. Of course he could be a lovely person, and although I'm pretty sure his music, incredible as it may be, wouldn't be to my taste, that's neither here-nor-there. I had to google egot, but I certainly wish him well. I honestly don't know one single thing about him, beyond how he presents on the red carpets.

That said, we are actually just talking about red carpet fashion in this thread. Others may find his get-ups to be brilliantly edgy, expressive and significant. I think they are patently ridiculous; absurd but so blatantly so as to entirely miss transcending to sublime. :confused3 Obviously, YMMV.

Last edited:
Relax - I'm not assassinating anybody's character here. Of course he could be a lovely person, and although I'm pretty sure his music, incredible as it may be, wouldn't be to my taste, that's neither here-nor-there. I had to google egot, but I certainly wish him well. I honestly don't know one single thing about him, beyond how he presents on the red carpets.

That said, we are actually just talking about red carpet fashion in this thread. Others may find his get-ups to be brilliantly edgy, expressive and significant. I think they are patently ridiculous; absurd but so blatantly so as to entirely miss transcending to sublime. :confused3 Obviously, YMMV.

Relax? All I did was suggest there's much more to the man than someone might understand from simply a red carpet. Which one of us is the one gagging while we are just talking about red carpet fashion?

His music might just be quite surprising, he's got quite the range. One performance made me cry tears of sadness, happiness and wistfulness all at once.

Relax? All I did was suggest there's much more to the man than someone might understand from simply a red carpet. Which one of us is the one gagging while we are just talking about red carpet fashion?

His music might just be quite surprising, he's got quite the range. One performance made me cry tears of sadness, happiness and wistfulness all at once.
I would assume there’s much more to all of them (and all of us) than the clothes. Again, this discussion, and my comment was strictly about the clothes and I wonder now if I had used this :crazy2: instead of typing the word gag, if we’d even be having this exchange? You don’t seem to be taking the comments about the stars looking like “idiots” so deeply to heart, or any of the other various and sundry ridicule.

Or maybe it’s just some particular Billy Porter nerve I accidentally hit? I actually really like what @NotUrsula said about fashion vs costumes. It seemed very insightful, but I’ve got no desire to armchair psychoanalyze someone I know nothing about.

I would assume there’s much more to all of them (and all of us) than the clothes. Again, this discussion, and my comment was strictly about the clothes and I wonder now if I had used this :crazy2: instead of typing the word gag, if we’d even be having this exchange? You don’t seem to be taking the comments about the stars looking like “idiots” so deeply to heart, or any of the other various and sundry ridicule.

Or maybe it’s just some particular Billy Porter nerve I accidentally hit? I actually really like what @NotUrsula said about fashion vs costumes. It seemed very insightful, but I’ve got no desire to armchair psychoanalyze someone I know nothing about.

Actually I didn't read anything into your initial comment beyond you didn't like his outfit (didn't care for it myself) and that you didn't seem to know who he was. I didn't read much into the gag comment. I actually made my initial comment because it's only in the past several months that I discovered how talented the guy is. Despite knowing he is a Tony winning Broadway performer I hadn't really seen his work to get it. Like I said, I saw his very moving performance of a song and, oh, that's why he's so respected, I got it. I've become familiar with different things that I didn't know about in discussions here over the years and thought I'd share. That's the sum total of what was behind my original comment, period.

I guess I accidentally must have hit some nerve because you chose to respond with relax? Relax from what, from commenting much the same way I might if we were discussing a dish you hadn't tried and I had recently discovered was quite delicious and maybe worth a taste? Wasn't a social commentary or criticism, just pointing out a (new-ish to me) talent I enjoyed.

Yeah, that's one of her gray dresses she was wearing on the red carpet.

Yes, it was the huge dress she had on the red carpet. The OP asked how she sat in it. A previous poster said she took it off before sitting down. But clearly she put it back on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter