What will it take for you to feel safe sleeping at Disney again?

I have a medically fragile 21 year old. I have done the VIP cleaning (helped a LOT) but most trips I don’t bother. He had one year in middle school, the regular flu and the H1N1 flu. When he gets sick, he gets SICK. We need roll in shower, and bring our wheelchair for him to Disney (can’t walk long distances). I’d LOVE to go back, and he and I are the only ones in the house that truly love our time there. We just love it. We aren’t going to travel this year at all. If Disney does a great job, which they always try to do, and the price is better (it’s gotten so high), we may go back with our usual precautions of cleaning the room and keeping ourselves safe. I just wonder when that will be. I miss Disney, but wonder how it will be when we decide to return. I was actually thinking about another annual pass for me a while ago, but that isn’t going to happen anytime soon. Maybe in a couple of years unless they offer some deal. The price has tripled since we used to get them (and we fly; it’s not like we’re local).

I would like to hear a plan of what Disney would do if some guests get sick while there. If you have a full-blown case of COVID, you must be quarantined for at least 3 weeks from what I've seen. And they don't admit you to a hospital unless you are really sick. You can't travel home like that. How would you get food and medical treatment? And where would you go after your hotel reservation ends?

Once all of this is over, I would feel safe with staying in a room at Disney. Your always free to bring your own disinfectants.

If you feel your room could be cleaner, I wouldn't see them getting upset if you called the front desk and let them know. They should be happy to have someone go to your room and reasonably clean.

We already had it so nothing, would go tomorrow!

It didn't really affect us much. My daughter had a sore throat, and my husband and I had a mild cough for a couple of days. Only know we had it because it was confirmed in a test at the time. My winter cold last year was worse.

That is the problem with Coronavirus, most people don't really notice they have it so they just keep going out even at the height of their illness and then an old or otherwise weak person gets it and they get very ill.

Honestly if you are healthy then maybe don't worry about it and just avoid contact with any vulnerable people in your family when you get back home for two weeks.
We vacationed in Europe back at the beginning of November and came back with classic symptoms of the virus. DW had classic symptoms of a moderate case that kept her in the house for 2 weeks to keep it from spreading (She is a retired MD and her training to isolate kicked in). I, as always ended up with a sinus infection and our 2 traveling friends ended up with a sore throat and dry cough for 10 days. IMO (yes, very unqualified), I think this virus has been around a lot longer than has been officially recorded.

From my point of view, there's nothing to be 'afraid' of.

Anyone can get sick at any time. There's all kinds of viruses, illnesses, etc. Some are more prevalent than others, some are more deadly than others. But being afraid of a virus is no way to live. At all. You can contract terrible things like cancer for no reason at all - some of the "fittest" or "healthiest" people I know have major health problems, and some of the most "unhealthy" people I have met or known have lived well into their 90's.

I'm not afraid of getting sick or dying, because death comes to us all. Its the one thing in this world that you can't control. Which is why I say that the goal of life isn't to avoid death....the goal of life is to enjoy it to the fullest and get the most out of it while you can, because you don't have much time - the first 18 years of your life are spent at school under the roof of your parents, and usually the final few years of your life is spent at home or in assisted living because you're too old and frail to do much of anything anymore. That doesn't leave a ton of time in between, especially if you are raising a family. My family still has a WDW trip planned this fall, and as long as the parks are open, we're going. I'm not going to rob my family of lifelong memories because of fear of something like this. To tell my kids that we won't go to WDW because they 'might get sick' is the ultimate cop out, and a sign that you've surrendered to fear.

I understand where the OP is coming from, and agree with others who say you have to make decisions for your family as you see fit. But hiding from a virus that you may get, may not get, or might get and not know it, is no way to live. And if these types of thinking dont change - and soon - our society as a whole will collapse. People need to trust each other. Trust that if you go on vacation, your destination will take care of you the best they can. Trust that your employer will take care of you the best they can. Trust that your neighbor will take care of you the best they can. And lets get back to living.

Enough with the scare tactics. This is not a case of being afraid of getting sick or dying and never travelling again. Nor is it a case of surrendering to fear and hiding from the virus. It’s a case of each person doing what they feel is right for them and their family.

If somebody wants to wait until 2021 to go, that isn’t hiding from anything, nor is it a cop out. Waiting to see how this plays out, reading other people’s experiences at the World, and letting Disney slowly get back to something closely resembling normal isn’t a bad thing. The memories will still be there.

Some people will go ASAP, some will wait. There is no right answer at this time. People will decide what is best for them and their family.

Think of it this way, if you are the first person in the room after they open up, you have one of the cleanest rooms around. Even if they don't do anything but dust and swipe down the surfaces, no one has been in that room for how long? They do at least change sheets and towels in between guests even if they don't do a great job of anything else so that shouldn't be a worry. While you are there, yours is the only head to touch that pillow and the staff do wear gloves when they come in the room so if they have anything, it's probably not being transferred to your stuff. So, if you were a worrying type, all you have to worry about are the hard surfaces like the remote, light switches, etc. A quick swipe with even a wet washcloth would probably take care of that but a disinfectant wipe if you feel better. Personally, I've never wiped anything down while travelling, I wash my hands after the bathroom and before I eat and that's it. I do request that housekeeping doesn't come every day but that's just because it seems silly to me. I pick up after us, hang the towels up and don't need my bed made every day. Oh, and we do have a RV and we have stayed at the fort. It was fine for us because we travel in it a lot and I'd do it again except my hubby is not a big Disney fan and drove my son and I crazy the entire time wanting us to spend more time around the camp site and eat all our meals there.

We're not going until a real vaccine is proven and readily available to everyone. I understand some folks are anti-vaxxers and I wish you all good health. I'm not willing to risk my loved ones or strangers health for any amusement park.

We vacationed in Europe back at the beginning of November and came back with classic symptoms of the virus. DW had classic symptoms of a moderate case that kept her in the house for 2 weeks to keep it from spreading (She is a retired MD and her training to isolate kicked in). I, as always ended up with a sinus infection and our 2 traveling friends ended up with a sore throat and dry cough for 10 days. IMO (yes, very unqualified), I think this virus has been around a lot longer than has been officially recorded.

I agree. I know of two very, very likely cases in California that happened the end of last year. One was a friend’s daughter at UC Santa Cruz who was told in the ER after testing negative for the flu that it was some sort of flu that they couldn’t identify. She was working on a project with another student at the time who was from.... Wuhan. Another is a friend who is an attorney in Beverly Hills. She had all the symptoms, and later several others in her office tested positive. So yeah, I agree that it was spreading unknown to us much sooner than we thought.

I’m sorry you got sick, but hope you’re well now! I’m not as worried for myself, although I have high BP. More worried for those with other conditions.

We already had it so nothing, would go tomorrow!

It didn't really affect us much. My daughter had a sore throat, and my husband and I had a mild cough for a couple of days. Only know we had it because it was confirmed in a test at the time. My winter cold last year was worse.

That is the problem with Coronavirus, most people don't really notice they have it so they just keep going out even at the height of their illness and then an old or otherwise weak person gets it and they get very ill.

Honestly if you are healthy then maybe don't worry about it and just avoid contact with any vulnerable people in your family when you get back home for two weeks.
We still don’t know how long immunity lasts though. If this crazy virus comes back around in the fall, as some in the medical field are predicting, we may not continue to have immunity because similar to the flu, it could be a different strain. I think more research and more time will tell.

I know more people who had covid symptoms November-February, and doctors couldn't figure out what it was, than I can count. And these are all people I was exposed to. It's very interesting, and we may never know for sure... But I suspect you're right. Also... Very unqualified.

To be honest, I’ve always cleaned/disinfected hotel & motel rooms as best I can. Bringing your own bedding may not be a bad idea. One thought that keeps popping into my head as far as staying at WDW going forward are the room checks. Even if we decline mousekeeping, will they continue to send someone into our room each day?
If so, it will be offsite only for us.
I’m simply not comfortable right now with someone going in & out of lots of rooms and then entering ours.

It’s really a mental one. When do you feel good going back? I imagine a lot of people are fearful right now. This will pass. It won’t happen immediately, but we’ll get ourselves there over time.

Disney will have to up their room cleaning far beyond where it is today. As they reopen we’ll see people post their impressions. And that will help us figure out when to go back. This is going to take time too.

I don’t think a guest should have to pack cleaning product to go on vacation.

I have to travel still and I’ve been staying at hotels every couple of weeks since February. I wash my hands often and that’s pretty much it. I have a trip booked in June to Orlando and fingers crossed, the parks are open!

Nothing. I'm ready to go in July. This virus is not as lethal as originally projected and our medical system is not overwhelmed. I hope Disney cleans the room like they normally do before we check in.

Following. Our Sept trip is non-refundable and not changeable (Dvc rental). If WDW is open, we are going.

Last edited:
I love the remote in the ziploc tip that someone posted earlier! Easier than trying to run a wipe in between those little buttons!

I have disinfecting wipes that I keep in my travel stuff. So I will pack them as I always did for pre-pandemic travel to wipe light switches, door knobs, sink faucets, etc. I always did this, not because I'm "living in fear" or "living life in a bubble" but rather because ...... no one wants to get sick on vacation! Duh!

Will probably also pack some hydrogen peroxide and a spray bottle since I can't take aerosol disinfecting spray (Lysol) on a plane.

I am going to buy the zippered pillow covers (the kind for allergens) + bring our own cases. If we were driving, I'd pack our own pillows.

Not sure I will use the comforters on the beds unless they start a new policy of laundering them between guests, not "as needed". I might just remove them and ask for extra blankets from the laundry.

When we first arrive in the room, I will probably open the balconey sliding doors and air the villa out while we sanitize and unpack.

I think it was the OP that said something to the effect that it would be nice if WDW made available the extra mousekeeping measures being taken once the resorts open up again. Guests will want to know.

I like the idea of bringing pillowcases from home.
I love the remote in the ziploc tip that someone posted earlier! Easier than trying to run a wipe in between those little buttons!

I have disinfecting wipes that I keep in my travel stuff. So I will pack them as I always did for pre-pandemic travel to wipe light switches, door knobs, sink faucets, etc. I always did this, not because I'm "living in fear" or "living life in a bubble" but rather because ...... no one wants to get sick on vacation! Duh!

Will probably also pack some hydrogen peroxide and a spray bottle since I can't take aerosol disinfecting spray (Lysol) on a plane.

I am going to buy the zippered pillow covers (the kind for allergens) + bring our own cases. If we were driving, I'd pack our own pillows.

Not sure I will use the comforters on the beds unless they start a new policy of laundering them between guests, not "as needed". I might just remove them and ask for extra blankets from the laundry.

When we first arrive in the room, I will probably open the balconey sliding doors and air the villa out while we sanitize and unpack.

I think it was the OP that said something to the effect that it would be nice if WDW made available the extra mousekeeping measures being taken once the resorts open up again. Guests will want to know.

I like all of these ideas. Especially bringing my own pillowcase. That is easy enough to do.

After this, using a strangers pillow is just baffling to me. I dont see much difference between that and using a strangers mask after they used it all day.
. Yeah pillows are the one thing to gross me out. Plus I like MY pillow so try to bring it when I can
Agreed, they're not. I've had sub-par housekeeping at all levels at WDW. Compared to other large resorts like Marriott or Hilton, Disney could use tweaking in this area even before the virus. Hopefully any changes out of this will address it.
Marriott Vacation club is loads better maintained than the DVc we’ve stayed in, or even the high end Disney Deluxe hotels. I’ve read so many complaints of DVC owners on maintenance- we’ve not had a single issue in all the MVC resorts we’ve stayed in over the years, not just Orlando.
f you have a full-blown case of COVID, you must be quarantined for at least 3 weeks from what I've seen. And they don't admit you to a hospital unless you are really sick.
How would you even know to get tested? If you are sick enough to get tested then you are probably sick enough to get medical care? I guess if you are exposed prior to travel and need to get tested at Disney? I wonder if part of the opening plan is to have isolation areas in certain resorts?
We're not going until a real vaccine is proven and readily available to everyone. I understand some folks are anti-vaxxers and I wish you all good health. I'm not willing to risk my loved ones or strangers health for any amusement park.
https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/22...es-it-may-also-be-overestimating-their-power/
vaccines aren’t a cure all. Very very few illness have been 100% eradicated with vaccines.

I guess I’m just not as germaphobic? I don’t usually take extra precautions, nor spend my vacation dollars or hours what I’ve paid someone else to do (recleaning a room).

I guess I’m just not as germaphobic? I don’t usually take extra precautions, nor spend my vacation dollars or hours what I’ve paid someone else to do (recleaning a room).
After two of my kids got sick on the 2nd day of a 9 day WDW stay a few trips ago, I began wiping down often-touched surfaces in the room as soon as we enter. I don't feel this is "germaphobic" behavior as much as not trusting the person who cleaned the room. I've seen the hidden-camera investigations where the housekeepers wipe down the toilet bowl and then use the same rag on the rims of the drinking glasses in the room! So, ya, not a germaphobe as much as a realist. "if it happens, then it could have happened in my room".... I have no way of knowing. Also, it really takes away from the fun of the trip (for me as the mom and usual "caregiver") if even ONE member of our traveling party gets sick and has to spend part of the trip we paid $$$ for in bed (or head in toilet) for a day or more instead of in the parks. If 1/2 hr of time cleaning prevents 2 days of someone being sick, then I feel it's an investment in a form of "trip insurance".
I think everyone has a different definition of "germaphobe". In this time especially, we are all working out our own comfort levels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!