What would you budget for a small bathroom remodel?

NinaBella

DIS Veteran
My upstairs bathroom has had a shower leak, toilet leak, and not toilet leak again. I want to remodel the entire bathroom but DH is frugal.

So what would you imagine (or know) the cost of a small bathroom remodel? Right now the floor (not counting the tub is 5x6. That does include the space the vanity sits on. I am also thinking of eliminating the tub for a walk in shower.

This is DD bathroom and she is 15 and says she wants to keep the tub, but she is not living her long term and I have a garden tub in the master bathroom she can use if she wants to use her bath bombs, etc. Eventually, this will just be a guest room only or an upstairs office. I have three boys and they do not use a tub, but their bathroom is the hall bathroom next to two bedrooms so for market purposes, if we were ever to sell (no plans) that bathroom in theory would be next to children bedrooms where parents would want a tub. This bathroom upstairs is basically a FROG that when built was changed to be one bedroom, closet, and bathroom. FROG = Family Room Over Garage. So most parents wouldn't put a little kid upstairs anyways.

I just had a company leave after measurements so I am waiting for estimates.

Here is my favorite pic of what I would like. The contractor mentioned doing a half wall with glass instead of the wall. The bathroom is currently this set-up (position of vanity, toilet, bathtub) minus the window. There is no window in my bathroom.

I do like gray, white, and blues. I like pink too but not sure I would choose a tile with pink since I also have three sons that could possibly move upstairs.

fantastic-small-bathroom-remodel-ideas-awesome-17-best-ideas-about-small-bathrooms-on-pinterest-small-bathroom.jpg

This is what I like for the vanity. I really like the hanging lights. Keeping the tub with glass doors like in this photo is an option too.

72d1b85859c20470eb1825242cd3da5a.jpg

I've had less extensive remodels than what you're thinking for about $2,500 including parts/materials and labor. For what you want (and this can vary greatly by region) I'd expect $4,000-$8,000 depending on flooring and fixtures you choose.

Labor is a killer depending where you live...I am currently getting estimates for doing a shower-only (no tub) small-to-medium sized bathroom remodel (with no movement of fixtures or plumbing) and my labor (and permitting) costs will be about $15K (looking at the multiple estimates) before I even get to materials...so, we probably need to know where you live to give you a better idea of the costs (since the materials won't change much, but that labor fee can be WILDLY different)...

Labor is a killer depending where you live...I am currently getting estimates for doing a shower-only (no tub) small-to-medium sized bathroom remodel (with no movement of fixtures or plumbing) and my labor (and permitting) costs will be about $15K (looking at the multiple estimates) before I even get to materials...so, we probably need to know where you live to give you a better idea of the costs (since the materials won't change much, but that labor fee can be WILDLY different)...

That is CRAZY! We did a complete kitchen remodel, flooring throughout our house, wall removal, paint throughout our house and a few other odds and ends for $30,000 including materials and labor. $15k for a small bathroom remodel is nuts. I am SO sorry!

Last edited:
I live just outside Tampa. Speaking with the gentleman at Lowe’s this morning they would charge an extra couple hundred dollars just to install tile as a ‘small job’. Fee. Doesn’t make since to use Lowe’s and Home Depot if every job has a ‘small job fee’ versus a general contractor that can do everything. I never had any jobs inside the home done that needed a permit.

About 5 years ago, we re-did our entire bathroom. we literally gutted it and started over. the only thing that stayed was the plumbing and we had someone come in to check the pipes and re do anything that needed. but the cosmetic parts we did ourselves...COMPLETELY. We did it for a little over $2000 which included the accessories. NOW...that being said, we did not get "top of the line" anything and stuck to low or midline for our budget. We also did a bathfitter type shower which is a cover for our existing shower/tub combo. Good luck on whatever you decide!!

I think it depends a lot on what companies you call. If you were in the Maryland area and called Metropolitan to come out, it would be very expensive. But they give something like a ten year guarantee on the work they do.

I figure out the cost of my materials and then double it for the labor and usually get close to the cost when I am estimating a job.

Particularly interested in your thread because I have a similar sized bath that needs to be somewhat upgraded. I want new wall tile and vanity. Would love to see pics once you do your reno.

We live in a moderate priced suburb and just did our bathroom, and it cost $15000 and it is a small room. It depends what materials you use. Our glass-shower was $3000 alone and we did a granite counter and tile in floor and shower. The second and third quote we got were $20000 and $30000!

We are renovating our bathroom right now, doing all the labor ourselves and have spent approximately $6,000. In materials. Again it depends on the materials you choose, but OP you seem to have very nice ($$$) taste. I choose marble floor, tore out the bathtub to put in a shower stall and granite counter with double sink. We even saved a boatload on the vanity by going to the KraftMaid outlet. Here’s our bathroom in progress, the new shower is the orange peeking out on the left side.

Attachments

• EFF438F1-EBB3-488E-A698-B1D2AA091202.jpeg
    EFF438F1-EBB3-488E-A698-B1D2AA091202.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 156
That is CRAZY! We did a complete kitchen remodel, flooring throughout our house, wall removal, paint throughout our house and a few other odds and ends for $30,000 including materials and labor. $15k for a small bathroom remodel is nuts. I am SO sorry!

Yeah, total cost is looking between $22.5K-$25K for a full gut (with some repair to drywall and subflooring), so $7500-$10K for materials...now that being said, I'm valuing function, ease of maintenance, durability, and ability to age in place for the materials...so I am doing electrical work in the bath (which means I'm adding an electrician to the labor cost), and adding a bath fan/nightlight combo (right now, there is no fan b/c the code doesn't require it, but there needs to be a fan), an extra 2 device outlet (so with our sonicares in, we can still actually plug in a razor, hair dryer, etc), and new LED light fixtures everywhere (both over the vanity and in the ceiling - right now, there is just a single 1980's vanity strip of lights). I'm also adding accesories, like an ADA compliant shower bar, a dual bar towel rack, a window storage bench seat (so a helper could be there and/or towels could be stored there), an installed makeup mirror with magnification/moveable arm/360 swing, a tablet/magazine rack installed (so nothing electronic or paper ever ends up near wet stuff and has somewhere to be if someone brings it in:)), etc...and I'm getting materials that need no maintenance/resealing (so solid surface and not tile, quartz and not marble...but cheap on the floor with just vinyl and non-shower walls with just paint, etc)...

My plan is that I don't want to gut this 10 years from now b/c the materials didn't hold up (my old tile shower literally failed through the tile), or b/c I need more as I age, or b/c I was just too cheap to do it right the 1st time and didn't meet our needs (like we need the outlets b/c our sonicares are charged in our bedroom now and that just doesn't work:), etc...

I've had less extensive remodels than what you're thinking for about $2,500 including parts/materials and labor. For what you want (and this can vary greatly by region) I'd expect $4,000-$8,000 depending on flooring and fixtures you choose.
We are renovating our bathroom right now, doing all the labor ourselves and have spent approximately $6,000. In materials. Again it depends on the materials you choose, but OP you seem to have very nice ($$$) taste. I choose marble floor, tore out the bathtub to put in a shower stall and granite counter with double sink. We even saved a boatload on the vanity by going to the KraftMaid outlet. Here’s our bathroom in progress, the new shower is the orange peeking out on the left side.

I really like the tile floor in your picture. I have that tile saved in photos of bathrooms I like. It's possible I end up with that. The carpet upstairs is gray and DD has white furniture, so I think that tile would look great with the current colors upstairs.

If it gets too expensive, I will leave the tub and just see about new tile around the walls. I was hoping not to spend more than $4,000 - $5,000.

The plumber is quoting $220 to install a new toilet (if we buy it and have it available) or they can provide the toilet and install. Their mid-line recommendation is a Gerber Avalanche, comfort height, enlongated and that would be $687 for the toilet and installation combined. Their higher line was a Kohler.

The plumber is quoting $220 to install a new toilet (if we buy it and have it available) or they can provide the toilet and install. Their mid-line recommendation is a Gerber Avalanche, comfort height, oblong and that would be $687 for the toilet and installation combined. Their higher line was a Kohler.

Kohler is more expensive...that is the line my estimates have been priced at for materials...

Average bathroom remodel is $9,600 according to Home Advisor. https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/bathrooms/remodel-a-bathroom/ Average kitchen remodel is $22,000. https://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/kitchens/remodel-a-kitchen/
Ours ran $12,000 and $18,000 each for 9 x 5 bathrooms, $60,000 for the kitchen. 1500 square feet of laminate, 18 new doors, 2 new sliders added another $30,000 to the cost.
Materials make a HUGE difference in final cost. My wife insisted on Corian in the kitchen and master bath. That added thousands to the cost. Remodel cost more than we paid for the house 35 years ago. But we upgraded from contractor grade everything. to quality materials.

At least $10-15,000. We took a spare room and made it into a master bathroom last year, the frameless glass shower door alone was $6000.

One thing to consider (that every designer tried to talk us out of and I'm glad we did), was that walk in showers can be really cold. Because they don't hold in the warm air generated by the shower water warmth, a lot of people end up cold and add a door later!

At least $10-15,000. We took a spare room and made it into a master bathroom last year, the frameless glass shower door alone was $6000.

One thing to consider (that every designer tried to talk us out of and I'm glad we did), was that walk in showers can be really cold. Because they don't hold in the warm air generated by the shower water warmth, a lot of people end up cold and add a door later!

Yes, our estimators (all the ones that have come) tried to talk us out of a door (b/c we don't have one now, so why pay extra when money is kinda limited)...but I have hated not having a door for years, so that was non-negotiable for me:)...

That’s what ours ended up costing, very high COL area (same sized bathroom, same layout). Had a tile guy come in because it needs to be retiled (subway tile), got an estimate of $4000 just for that, but it’s almost impossible to get a tile guy to bother with you for such a small job. I told ds19 to drop out of college and learn tile. Contractor# ar3 so expensive here, and hard to hire unless you have a huge job. Here in NE NJ, we have tons of companies, that do quite well.

If it gets too expensive, I will leave the tub and just see about new tile around the walls. I was hoping not to spend more than $4,000 - $5,000.

What do the permits cost where you live? Ours were almost $1,000 per bathroom, $1,200 for the kitchen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter