What would you budget for a small bathroom remodel?

What do the permits cost where you live? Ours were almost $1,000 per bathroom, $1,200 for the kitchen.

In 14 years of living here we have never did anything that required a permit. So I wouldn’t know what they cost. I just looked at the county page for permits and everything I would do falls on the no permit required page.

In 14 years of living here we have never did anything that required a permit. So I wouldn’t know what they cost. I just looked at the county page for permits and everything I would do falls on the no permit required page.

Are you remodeling, or just repainting and reflooring? Here, anything beyond that requires a permit and inspections. A lot of people here are shocked to discover that even replacing a water heater requires a permit. National Electrical code requires contractor to upgrade all electrical outlets to GFIC circuits if they are doing any work in a bathroom. That's wiring and that requires a permit. Same with any outlet within 6 week of the sink in the kitchen.
Touching any plumbing, that requires a permit.

Wow, some of these prices are insane. We are in metro Atlanta and had our master bath gutted to the studs and totally rebuilt with granite, new cabinets, frameless shower, etc for $11,000. The two smaller baths were gutted and remodeled for $6000 each. This was a few years ago.

This fall, we had our whole main level of our house remodeled. Hardwood floors installed on 1/2 of the floor, and all 1000 square feet sanded and refinished. Everything painted, including judges paneling, kitchen cabinets, windows, walls, bathroom, etc. New granite, new backsplash in kitchen, bath and bar area. New tile in the bathroom and laundry area. Custom Barn doors made and installed. Ship lap installed and painted, fireplace painted, stair rails painted. New lights, all electrical and plumbing.

All for $16,000.

The fixtures that you put in those first couple pictures do look fairly "high end". If you are willing to use less fancy stuff, I would say you could do it on a budget. A few years ago we re did our bathroom that is about the size of yours. We did not change out the tub and since it is a fiberglass surround, we didn't do anything to the tub. We got a new toilet, new sink/vanity and new flooring (not tile though) and we spent about $700 - my DH and Dad installed every thing, so there were no labor costs.

Are you remodeling, or just repainting and reflooring? Here, anything beyond that requires a permit and inspections. A lot of people here are shocked to discover that even replacing a water heater requires a permit. National Electrical code requires contractor to upgrade all electrical outlets to GFIC circuits if they are doing any work in a bathroom. That's wiring and that requires a permit. Same with any outlet within 6 week of the sink in the kitchen.
Touching any plumbing, that requires a permit.

Everywhere is different. As I said, our county doesn't require it for anything I stated I wanted to do. We are not moving anything, just swapping out. The company that came out today is a general contractor.

Here is what is on the county website on the "Permit NOT Required" page:

Aluminum Fascia and Trim
Overhead Garage Door Repairs
Canvas/Pole Carports
Painting (Exterior)
Carpet, Wood Flooring, and Tile
Painting and Wallpaper (Interior)

Ceiling Fan Replacement
Parking Lot Stripes
Ceiling Tile Replacement
Residential Pool Resurfacing
Child Playground Equipment
Pull-Down Stairs Child Tree Houses
Pump Hose without storage
Concrete Slabs less than 500 Sq. Ft. Not to be Built om
Replacement Light Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Fans
Doghouses (Private)
Replacement of Faucets, Sinks, Tubs, Showers, and Toilets
Door Locks and Hardware Replacement of Window or Door Glass
Drywall Patches and Ceiling Repair

Non Fire-rated Assembly under 250 Sq. Ft.
Rescreening and Re-Vinyl
Fences
Residential Low Voltage
Garage Door Openers
Sandwich Board Signs Gutters
Shower/Tub Glass Enclosures Insulation
Sidewalks, Pavers and Mulch
Interior Doors and Trim
Siding (Non-structural)
Non-retaining Walls
Store Fixtures Liquid Roof Coating
Stucco/Cementation Coating
Office Cubicles and Movable Partitions
Mobile Home Reroof and Window Replacement

Last edited:
Everywhere is different. As I said, our county doesn't require it for anything I stated I wanted to do.

Here is what is on the county website on the "Permit NOT Required" page:

Aluminum Fascia and Trim
Overhead Garage Door Repairs
Canvas/Pole Carports
Painting (Exterior)
Carpet, Wood Flooring, and Tile
Painting and Wallpaper (Interior)

Ceiling Fan Replacement
Parking Lot Stripes
Ceiling Tile Replacement
Residential Pool Resurfacing
Child Playground Equipment
Pull-Down Stairs Child Tree Houses
Pump Hose without storage
Concrete Slabs less than 500 Sq. Ft. Not to be Built om
Replacement Light Fixtures, Switches, Outlets and Fans
Doghouses (Private)
Replacement of Faucets, Sinks, Tubs, Showers, and Toilets
Door Locks and Hardware Replacement of Window or Door Glass
Drywall Patches and Ceiling Repair

Non Fire-rated Assembly under 250 Sq. Ft.
Rescreening and Re-Vinyl
Fences
Residential Low Voltage
Garage Door Openers
Sandwich Board Signs Gutters
Shower/Tub Glass Enclosures Insulation
Sidewalks, Pavers and Mulch
Interior Doors and Trim
Siding (Non-structural)
Non-retaining Walls
Store Fixtures Liquid Roof Coating
Stucco/Cementation Coating
Office Cubicles and Movable Partitions
Mobile Home Reroof and Window Replacement

Most of those don't require a permit here either. Other than the plumbing and electrical items you underlined.

I do like gray, white, and blues. I like pink too but not sure I would choose a tile with pink since I also have three sons that could possibly move upstairs.

Don't pick pink tile... I speak from experience :) I wish I had a picture of the pink monstrosity that was my bathroom in my parent's house.

Anything kinda permanent you may want to stick with neutral colors. ( Or if you like a particular color, make it small like an accent row or something that's easier to change out. ) As tastes changes (even your own) it's a heck of a lot easier to repaint the walls and change out knobs and other hardware than have to retile or change fixtures. It's amazing how completely different a bathroom can look just by changing the wall color if you have the right tile and flooring that can complement multiple colors.

I chose a light grey, Italian marble look in one bathroom for the ceramic tile. There are so many colors that fit with this tile, I could change out the bathroom every year if I wanted too just with new paint and accessories. I chose a light beige for the other bathroom, actually reminds me a little of a parchment color. There's less colors that work with it than the grey but still a really wide spectrum available for the next owner. (It's actually one of 2 rooms in the house I wouldn't consider changing the color ever. And I like color, I hardly never paint my nails the same color twice)

So I'm with you on the grey and white, and I'm partial to blue too. My grey bath is like that; all fixtures and vanity are white, the floor is white with grey veining, the light grey tile on the tub surround, and then a light blue wall with darker blue, grey and lavender accents (towels and accessories). I am actually thinking of changing it up after 10 years with it, but all I have to do is repaint and buy new accents and it'll feel like a new room.

I'm not much help on the pricing, when I had my baths done it was during the recession and I have come to find out everything was cheaper then. I'm kicking myself for not doing a couple things because of the expense, only to find out a couple years later it was now double the price. Live and learn :)

I am waffling on turning a small "hobby" room into a bathroom/upstairs laundry. My quote was $14k plus I buy all the "stuff". It would be a kid bathroom so I priced out the "stuff" and it is fairly cheap. The quote incl all labor, such as adding plumbing, changing/adding elec as needed, install everything, repair drywall/repaint....

Seems like my quote was a bargain compared to what some of you have paid to remodel existing bathrooms!
Maybe I should go for it! It would give each bedroom its own bath and give me a 2nd laundry room.

Don't pick pink tile... I speak from experience :) I wish I had a picture of the pink monstrosity that was my bathroom in my parent's house.

Anything kinda permanent you may want to stick with neutral colors. ( Or if you like a particular color, make it small like an accent row or something that's easier to change out. ) As tastes changes (even your own) it's a heck of a lot easier to repaint the walls and change out knobs and other hardware than have to retile or change fixtures. It's amazing how completely different a bathroom can look just by changing the wall color if you have the right tile and flooring that can complement multiple colors.

I chose a light grey, Italian marble look in one bathroom for the ceramic tile. There are so many colors that fit with this tile, I could change out the bathroom every year if I wanted too just with new paint and accessories. I chose a light beige for the other bathroom, actually reminds me a little of a parchment color. There's less colors that work with it than the grey but still a really wide spectrum available for the next owner. (It's actually one of 2 rooms in the house I wouldn't consider changing the color ever. And I like color, I hardly never paint my nails the same color twice)

So I'm with you on the grey and white, and I'm partial to blue too. My grey bath is like that; all fixtures and vanity are white, the floor is white with grey veining, the light grey tile on the tub surround, and then a light blue wall with darker blue, grey and lavender accents (towels and accessories). I am actually thinking of changing it up after 10 years with it, but all I have to do is repaint and buy new accents and it'll feel like a new room.

I'm not much help on the pricing, when I had my baths done it was during the recession and I have come to find out everything was cheaper then. I'm kicking myself for not doing a couple things because of the expense, only to find out a couple years later it was now double the price. Live and learn :)

I have seen the older pink bathrooms and would never do that. Those bathrooms are pretty much solid pink everything.

I work for a custom luxury remodeling company in MN and a project like this would start at $30K. Although, that would include custom cabinet, re-insulation (yes, much needed in MN), higher end Kohler or Delta items and a decent allowance for tile (including a custom niche in the shower to hold shampoo and such - a decent allowance is anything $8-10/sf - some remodelers only include $3/sf and yeah you don't get much for that...), a higher end bath fan on a timer switch etc. We always have our plumbing purchase and install all plumbing as often they won't warranty items if the client purchases them themselves. There is a difference in quality between the Kohler from Home Depot and the Kohler from Ferguson.

I have seen the older pink bathrooms and would never do that. Those bathrooms are pretty much solid pink everything.

Yes, and that was my old bathroom. :) But I've seen them where people have changed out all the pink fixtures so that it's just the tile left and it's still really hard to complement. (and other tile color shades so it's not that it's the 70's look dating it) As much as I like blue (and several other colors) I wouldn't pick blue tile for the same reason. I do like the accent tiles, where maybe it's the bullnose or a glass mosaic with color in an inset or band. That's easier to change out later than an entire wall.

But it's whatever you think you can live with :) Some folks get all concerned with what it'll do for resale, will the next person like it. Unless they're moving in the next year, who cares what the next guy thinks. Do you like it? Are you going to live there for the foreseeable future? Is it your money? Do what you enjoy! Myself, I plan on leaving that tile up until the walls fall down, so I picked neutral so that I wouldn't be hating it a few years down the road :)

We had Sears completely redo our bathroom - new flooring, doors, woodwork, vanity, toilet, mirror, lighting. That was $5000. Then, we had Miracle Method out to paint our tile tub surround. That was about $800.

We did our own remodel, but kept existing tub. Our materials cost was $5K, dh and I did all the work so no labor costs.

We are beginning a MBR remodel in May. We have a bowling alley for a bathroom - it's 12' x 5'. After many estimates we went with a reputable company that provides everything but the paint (they will do the painting but we need to provide it). We are removing the tub and extending the shower, adding a seat, frameless glass doors, 2 custom vanities and upgraded to Quartz. All in it will cost about 24000. All the estimates we got were between 20 - 30k and some of them required us to supply everything. I also got estimates for a hall bath - typical 3 piece approx 5' x8' and they were between 8-12k. Decided not to do that one now. We are in a high cost area and this seems in line with what the neighbors are paying.

We had Sears completely redo our bathroom - new flooring, doors, woodwork, vanity, toilet, mirror, lighting. That was $5000. Then, we had Miracle Method out to paint our tile tub surround. That was about $800.
Sears came out but didn't bid on our project. The decorator was very good and very honest when she sat down with us to find out what we wanted so she could put together and estimate and just said there was no point bidding because they didn't use some of the materials we wanted like Corian.

I work for a custom luxury remodeling company in MN and a project like this would start at $30K. Although, that would include custom cabinet, re-insulation (yes, much needed in MN), higher end Kohler or Delta items and a decent allowance for tile (including a custom niche in the shower to hold shampoo and such - a decent allowance is anything $8-10/sf - some remodelers only include $3/sf and yeah you don't get much for that...), a higher end bath fan on a timer switch etc. We always have our plumbing purchase and install all plumbing as often they won't warranty items if the client purchases them themselves. There is a difference in quality between the Kohler from Home Depot and the Kohler from Ferguson.

You are right about the product lines from the same manufacturers at Home Depot versus Ferguson's. I found the faucets we bought at Ferguson's at Home Depot for $100 less.....oh wait....they looked the same, but the Home Depot ones were all chrome coated plastic, not metal like the one's we bought

You are right about the product lines from the same manufacturers at Home Depot versus Ferguson's. I found the faucets we bought at Ferguson's at Home Depot for $100 less.....oh wait....they looked the same, but the Home Depot ones were all chrome coated plastic, not metal like the one's we bought
Yes, we learned that lesson when dh remodeled our kitchen several years ago and bought most of the plumbing supplies at HD. Never again. The faucet broke 2 yrs later, the drain pipes under the kitchen sink literally crumbled after around 8 yrs.
Now we only buy at plumbing supply stores. HD is junk made in China. Never again.

BTW, to the pp who joked about telling her son to quit college and enter trade school: ds17 wants to be a plumber. At his last physical our pediatrician (prob last visit with her too but we LOVE her) asked ds what he wanted for a career and when he told her a plumber she said her plumber makes more per hour than she does. I find that a bit of a stretch and thought she was joking but she was very convinced. :eek:

I just remodeled 3 bathrooms. A master, a smaller 8x9 & a jack & Jill. As far as cost goes, it depends a lot on where u live. I interviewed A LOT of contractors & they prices varied greatly. Some as high as $54,000 for the master. Crazy!! The smallest bathroom cost about $8000. That was taking down to studs. Putting in new tub ( didn’t use glass shower doors). The jack & Jill bathroom cost about $12,000. There we did French glass shower doors & did take everything to the studs. If you move things around like the toilet or vanity, that cost mores to move plumbing. Same with lighting.

We're looking to gut and remodel both bathrooms this summer. The larger one is 5x12 and the smaller one is 5x8. Removing the popcorn ceilings, new tub/shower combos, new floors, new vanities, new mirrors, new lighting, new fixtures, new toilets, new vent fans, painting etc will run us about 7K for each room. I'm in rural-ish GA. We're in a starter home so we'll put in what what we can live with if the house doesn't sell when we list, but not high end. I'm keeping it very, very neutral and clean looking.

We have a little bathroom that is 5x8, corner shower unit, one sink vanity and toilet. Quotes came back around 8k to do a whole redo, middle of the road pieces.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!