What would you do if this what if happened?

Pucks104

Mouseketeer
DH and I are going to WDW for 7 nights in September for the first time in 30 years. We are staying at the Yacht Club, dining mostly at signature restaurants and riding and seeing only things we want to. The “what if” is that should we get a bounce back offer which deluxe resort would you choose for a 4 night stay with grandparents/granddaughter (5 years old now probably 6 when we would try this trip)? She has never been to Disney. Maybe the Polynesian and focus on Magic Kingdom possibly early May 2020? Don’t even know if a bounce back offer would happen but want to give it some thought just in case.

Animal Kingdom Lodge would be fun for you and for her. You'd probably enjoy the artwork, ambience, design, etc and she might love having direct access to the animals on the Savannah just outside the back door of the lobby. The Contemporary is fun with kids because they can get on the monorail in the lobby and ride to MK or EP (with a change of monorails at TTC). Chef Mickey's is also at the Contemporary, which is fun...and loud...but fun. Those would be the two I'd look at if I had children at a Deluxe. Obviously, you can't choose badly...they're all amazing in their own right.

WL If not that Contemporary.
Just curious but why for each. We haven’t been in so long that we haven’t any basis for choosing one over another. It helps to understand what you guys like or prefer about the resorts and parks you suggest. Thank you!

I don’t think I’ve Ever been to disney and Not been given a bounce back. It’s not as
Obvious anymore as it’s typicakky buried in that little stack of papers left for you on your table. But, it’s likely there.
So, be prepared for that bounce back, lol.
I think the poly is wonderful for ur next visit as you described the guests.
Enjoy ur upcoming visit and look forward to planning that Next one!

So even if we made it once in a year AP makes sense?
You would upgrade your ticket before you left. Usually 10 days across trips get you to parity with tickets vs AP. Will need to do some math to validate your value (new pricing structure makes it more complicated) You can also consider parking, merch, restaurant discounts in the value of the AP.
No, if you wouldn’t upgrade your 7day ticket before leaving it’s definitely not worth it.

Just curious but why for each. We haven’t been in so long that we haven’t any basis for choosing one over another. It helps to understand what you guys like or prefer about the resorts and parks you suggest. Thank you!
WL is beautiful and a fun boat to MK.

The 2 min walk to MK from contemporary cannot be beat. And the monorail thru the hotel is fun for kids. Transportation are rides in their own right-

WL and Contemporary are IMHO the best Deluxe resorts for kids.. We have never stayed at the Contemporary its just too$$ but the kids love to go in it and all. WL is always cheaper so when we Deluxe..which isn't often..we go there. Again, the kids LOVE WL the pool and everything about it. They have no interest in Grand Floridian..but its not really a kids resort at all. IMHO

There's always a bounceback, but what it will be and for when depends on when you go. Just call extension 8844 from your room phone and it'll connect you with someone who can tell you what's being offered. In September it's likely to be a Free Dining offer for dates in 2020 (if it follows the offers of years past), but May isn't usually a part of that FD BB. Call and ask if there are any room only discounts they can offer you -- doesn't hurt to ask!

My kids (two girls) have loved the Boardwalk and Animal Kingdom Lodge. They didn't really care for the Poly. One place they really want to stay is the Grand Floridian, but I have yet to bite the price bullet to stay there. They've told me that it just seems magical, so it's something your granddaughter might feel too.

If this is your granddaughter's first WDW I would definitely recommend a MK resort and, if budget allows, consider the Poly or GF. The Poly is quite magical, IMHO. The theming is magnificent and the view of MK and the MK fireworks from the beach is spectacular. GF is also gorgeous and if your granddaughter is into princesses, it is the most "princessy" themed IMHO. They have wonderful dining options for young children - 1900 Park Fare character dining for both breakfast and dinner plus a very special children's tea. They are also opening a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique in the resort this upcoming summer. Both the Poly and GF have wonderful splash pad areas for smaller children - Polynesian themed at Poly and Alice in Wonderland themed at GF. If budget does not allow either of these options, I would also consider WL. Again, a stunning resort with great dining options for young children - Whispering Canyon is a lot of fun and the new Storybook Dining offers dinner with Snow White and other characters. They also have a splash pad for younger children. If you stay at WL, it's also quite easy to walk or boat over to Ft. W for Hoop Dee Doo Revue (which is a ton of fun), the WDW stables to see the horses and go on pony rides, Chip and Dale's sing-a-long, plus a playground.

Edited to add: If you are planning a trip in September 2019 and then another 8 months later in May 2020, I would definitely think about how many days you will spend in the parks on both trips and then do the math to see if separate tickets or AP's would be more cost effective. As PP mentioned, along with the AP, you also receive Memory Maker plus dining, merchandise and resort discounts.

For a little girl I wodul choose either the Grand Floridian or the Poly. Both are lovely, but they have totally different atmospheres.

My girls loved the Grand on their trip. They danced in the "ballroom" when the Grand Pianist was there, and had their hair done at Ivy Trelliss, after which they strolled through the lobby and upper level to be greeted as ROyals deserve. LOL! The atmosphere is tranquil and the grounds stunning. There is a Mousekeeper parade in morning celebrating the lovely people who keep the rooms clean, and kids love it. The Splash pad is inviting and the pools awesome. The dinign is good, transportation stellar.

The Poly is also a family favorite and my own DGD loved it there at the age your DGD will be. (SHe is now a "grand girl" just like her Nana! LOL! The POly is a very relaxed tropical escape offering views of the MK that are stunning. Teh pools are lovely. Transportation is convenient. DInign? Well it;s all there on the monorail.

Any trip with your grandchild, especially their first trip, is going to be magical! Everyone has their favorite reaorta for various reasons. We have stayed at all of the deluxe resorts on site. My son's favorite used to be the Poly because of the pool when he was younger. After about age 7, the favorite changed to BC/ YC because of SAB. After we had DD I found the best option for both kids was Poly because of the children's splash/ activity pool was great for both children ( 10&1.) My son is fairly picky about the pool slide, he doesn't like AKL's, BWI, or WL slides. He does love looking at the animals at AKL from the balcony though. He loves the GF, Poly, and BC slides....but he doesn't care for the GF resort. There are positive aspects to every resort, so you can't go wrong! Have a magical time on both upcoming trips :)

Since my now 18 year old daughter was 5 she has been in love with THe POly. So much in fact that our next trip is 12 days at The Poly. You have the monorail outside and there is also the Stitch breakfast there to consider.

For a first trip with a girl that age, I would also recommend the Poly or GF. You can't go wrong with any of the MK deluxe resorts. CR is also a favorite for our family because of the ability to walk to MK but we like the atmosphere better at Poly or GF.

My girls love the Poly best out of all the deluxe hotels we have stayed at and we are staying there in 10 days! They are most looking forward to the volcano pool and slide and being able to watch fireworks from the pool one night.

Also, I second the opinion of checking into annual passes. With two trips within 12 months you will save some money and you can also count on the perks of the pass which include room & shopping discounts and Memory Maker. You'll definitely want lots of pictures to document her first trip!

My kids absolutely love the BC and have loved it since they were young.

For a first time with a 6 year old I would do a MK resort. Any would be great. I would look at the specific threads here on the DIS and choose whichever you like best.

Poly or grand Floridian. You can’t beat being able to see the magic kingdom from your resort. Plus, the monorail, the excellent food choices and just the overall vibe of those resorts.

I have stayed at all the deluxe resorts, multiple times at each. I would never recommend the wilderness lodge over a monorail resort. There just isn’t any comparison between those resorts. Especially for a grandchild’s first Disney experience!

If it helps any, my 6 year old daughter has stayed at Bay Lake (basically the Contemporary), Polynesian, WL, and now the Beach Club all in the past year and a half (she has no idea how spoiled she is).
She said her favorite so far has been the Beach Club due to its pools, but she has loved them all for different reasons.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter